Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #23)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Graphyfotoz, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

So do I. At a certain point, I just gotta stop. Of course, with an 11 SACD 'complete' Piano Concertos set at the shop staring at me for $20 out the door, I couldn't refuse. Recorded 1992-1993 at Henry Wood Hall (one of my favorite piano acoustics) in multi-channel by Mike Hatch (Floating Earth, Ltd.) and produced by the great Judith Sherman, this is definitely the best-sounding complete set around. Can't really comment yet on the playing or conducting, need to sit with this for a while. Twenty bucks!!?! SACD editino seems to be OOP, of course (released 2005 via Brilliant Classics).

Attached Files:

2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

i saw Peter Serkin play one of the Mozart PCs (one of the late ones,can't remember which) with the Nashville Symphony back in Jan. '97.it was
    excellent.the program also featured the premiere of a David Amram piece
    for flute & orchestra,Kokopelli,conducted by Amram.

3. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic Thread Starter

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Piano-...=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1299827176&sr=1-4

Almost $130 shipped!
    How the hell ya find it for $20???
    There any more? :D

4. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

5. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I'm kind of new here but love Beethoven's music too having the Kempff sonata recordings.

6. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic Thread Starter

Welcome Fellow Classical Lover! :righton:

What all ya like.....what's in your collection?
    Share away.....jump right in!

7. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

This just in via the last post to support my current Bruckner binge. Can't wait to delve deeply! :)

Attached Files:

8. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Jan Lisiecki

Continuing my March marathon with a concert this Sunday at Santa Monica High School. Born in Calgary to Polish immigrant parents, Jan Lisiecki first came to my attention via a disc of the Piano Concertos on the in-house label of Warsaw-based Fryderyk Chopin Institute, which oversees the official (aka National) Editions of the composer's works. I thought it was really quite good, if nothing singularly impressive in any particular technical area. He nailed the poetry of the work, though. And at 14 years-old at time of recording, that is something. Win/place/show at a future Chopin Competition?? He is still just 15. Watch this CBC documentary, The Reluctant Prodigy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMMSLYZ0mXQ

http://www.janlisiecki.com/

Sunday, March 13, 2011
    New West Symphony
    Boris Brott, conductor
    Jan Lisiecki, piano

Beethoven Overture to Fidelio, Op. 72
    Mozart Concerto No. 21 in C Major for Piano & Orchestra, K. 467
    Chopin Concerto No. 1 in E Minor, Op. 11
    Chopin Grand Polonaise brillante in E-flat Major, Op. 22

Attached Files:

9. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I was listening to Berlioz's Harold In Italy as performed by the Phiharmonia Orchestra conducted by Colin Davis on an EMI cd.

10. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Those are the two I have (plus Bilson on fortepiano, which I just cannot adjust to). I agree with George's assessment.

George how would you compare the Casedesus recordings (incomplete) which Sony is about to release as a box?

11. George P

George P Notable Member

Haven't done a side by side, but I do enjoy Casadesus. I enjoy so many pianists in Mozart concertos, though. I don't think I have heard one that I didn't like or that reallstood out above the others. :shrug:

12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I never understood the high praise that this particular recording has received. :sigh:

I have the SACD and the sound is mediocre to say the least.

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I couldn't agree more (about the Kleiber Beethoven 5 & 7). I love the 7th, especially the second movement, but Kleiber just doesn't do it for me. IIRC, I found the sound on the Originals' CD to be extremely gray (I associate colors with music sometimes).

Do you like Bohm's Beethoven? (I do.)

14. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I feel the same way. I've liked practically every Mozart PC recording I've ever heard (I didn't take to Bilson or Staier on HIP instruments). Is this music particularly easy to play, George?

15. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Absolutely, Bohm is a colossus of a conductor :righton:

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes and No. I recall Richter (or was it Horowitz?) saying that Mozart was one of the hardest piano composers to play. Not from a technical standpoint, but from an artistic standpoint.

I don't know how that applies to the concertos, though, as it seems to contradict our experience of them. Perhaps Mozart's music is loved so much that people put a lot of time and effort into their recordings.

17. George P

George P Notable Member

Thirded. :agree:

18. John S

John S Forum Resident

Now playing...

Mozart
    Piano Concerto No. 20 KV466
    Piano Concerto No. 21 KV467

Mitsuko Uchida, piano
    English Chamber Orchestra
    Jeffrey Tate

[​IMG]

Love the above, but I also enjoy the Brendel/Marriner/ASMF 2-fer from Philips. It's the only disc I own with my two faves (19&20) back-to-back. Plus, as a change of pace from most recordings, Brendel plays his own cadenzas in 20.

It does split 23 between the two discs, which I don't like.

Attached Files:

19. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Eddie, while I was deciding on the need to recommend this set after the monsters mentioned before, you did it. :laugh: I have the same set as a part of the complete Mozart set (red-book-only, of course). Listened to it pretty thoroughly - it's a good set, even very good considering the price.

I strongly prefer Han's playing on Nos. 20 & 21 to the so called "reference" recording by Schiff which I almost can't stand because of its mechanistic coldness.

But my imprint/go-to recording of the 20/21 coupling is by a pretty unknown pianist - Helene Gal (on uber-cheap Bella Musica CD). :hide: The Han is a close second.

20. John S

John S Forum Resident

I have questions....

If one were to buy only one Bruckner box, is the Wand a worthy compromise?

Could somebody please tell me what's wrong with Gilels' "Waldstein"?

I borrowed this from my library the other day. Has anybody heard this?

Attached Files:

21. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I love the 5th; the 7th - not so much.

I like his Schubert Unfinished

22. George P

George P Notable Member

I just finished working through the set and can say that it did little for me. The sound is good, but the performance seemed too tame, too refined for me. I also had little or no emotional response to his interpretations. Celibidache's Bruckner on EMI, on the other hand, left me deeply moved. This is obviously very subjective, so I suggest finding a way to sample if you can before buying. I know Jay benefitted from this recently.

I recall (and I could be wrong about this, as my memory isn't the greatest) that it was slow and unexciting.

Not yet. :)

23. ron p

ron p Forum Resident

My first Bruckner/Wand purchase was the 8th. It's on RCA but is with the Berlin Philharmonic. I absolutely love this performance. I then bought the box set "Wand Edition" RCA and I just haven't taken to it yet. Anybody else have any experience with the various Wand recordings?

I guess I'm not the only one who has found something interesting in every Mozart P.C. I take this as more evidence that these are just some of the most well composed and accessible compositions ever.

No opinions on that monster Heifitz box?? Are there many treasures hidden within or do you just stick with the basic releases out there?

24. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

One thread participant already has this as mentioned in a previous post. Then two of us said we have it on order with an Amazon release date of March 22 for mine. I am buying it on the basis of the recordings I have.

25. ron p

ron p Forum Resident

I must have missed the previous mention of the box. Thanks for posting, good to hear that some have decided to order it. I have the half dozen most popular Heifitz releases but I am not very familiar with his entire body of work. Looking forward to reading any impressions of it. Maybe I can show some sort of self control and not order it, but probably not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.