Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #23)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Graphyfotoz, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Bill, I do not have this CD. But Jordi Savall certainly has the midas touch. Of the dozen of so recordings by him in my collection, there is not one that I do not enjoy ...

2. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

About 11 bones for a two disc set on this one.....

3. George P

George P Notable Member

Lots of nice recordings in that Virgin budget 2fer series, Bill. :agree:

4. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Picking up where Philips left off....'evening, buddy!

5. George P

George P Notable Member

Evening!

Yes, and even cheaper than Philips. :agree:

6. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Montserrat Figueras is the soloist on this set....I will buying more of her work sooner than later....got that Emma Kirkby sound about her.

7. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

[​IMG]

Speaking of Jordi Savall...:)

I was happy to find this Japan 2xCD set about a month for a great price. The store was practically giving it away. Savall clearly takes more of an accompanying role here, but the playing is nonetheless divine. I have been eye-balling this beauty for a while now. Pricey, but on my short list...:)

[​IMG]

8. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic Thread Starter

Certainly a fine look pair of cans you have there!
    I know when I want more refined listening I toss on my Sennheiser Pro280's.
    (Esp nice for those old Mono recordings)
    Bulky? Yeah maybe but they sound incredible!!

[​IMG]

Electricity tariff? Wonder how long before we have that here in the US? :mad:

9. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Now playing:
    • Chopin: Four Scherzos - Sviatoslav Richter [Melodiya/CBS Masterworks 1981, LP with gold-foil 'For Promotion Only' stamp on back, recorded July 25-30, 1977 by Melodiya in Munich, West Germany, lacquers cut at Columbia Studios NY]

10. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Now playing:
    • Sviatoslav Richter in the 1950's, Vol. 6 [Parnassus 2010, complete recital from April 4, 1952, the opening Au couvent from Borodin's Petite Suite is just incredible: astounding power, gravitas, dynamic control, poetry -- spine-tingling, Richter at his Russian best]

-Spoken introduction
      -Borodin: Petite Suite
      Au couvent *
      Mazurka *
      Serenade *
      -Liadov: Canzonetta, Op. 48 *
      -Liadov: Etude, Op. 37 *
      -Glazunov: Nocturne for piano, Op. 37 *
      -Rachmaninoff: Etudes-Tableaux in C-sharp minor, Op. 33 No. 9
      -Rachmaninoff: Prelude in G sharp minor, Op. 32 No. 12
      -Prokoviev: Rondo, Op. 52 No. 2
      -Prokofiev: Visions fugitives, Op. 22 Nos. 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 14, 15 & 18
      -Prokofiev: Five Pieces from 'Cinderella
      Gavotte, Op. 95 No. 2
      Autumn Fairy, Op. 97 No. 3
      Orientalia, Op. 97 No. 6
      Great Waltz, Op. 102 No. 1
      The Quarrel, Op. 102 No. 3
      -Scriabin: Mazurka in E minor, Op. 25 No. 3 *
      -Scriabin: Etude in C sharp minor, Op. 42 No. 5
      -Schubert/Liszt (trans.): Erlkonig (recorded December 8, 1949)
      -Chopin: Prelude in C sharp minor, Op. 45 (recorded January 10, 1952) *

* First published Richter recordings of these works.

Attached Files:

11. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

My friend Nat gave (yes gave!) me a pair of those Allesandros that had a broken post. One quick repair later and I am using them all the time, totally loving them. For me it's an upgrade from the Grado SR-60s and the difference is really clear, especially for classical.

12. ron p

ron p Forum Resident

Not even the skinniest of booklets. I do not see a cd-rom either. I didn't go online to see if there was any material available there.

I choose to look at it this way. I was thinking about buying the Isaac Stern Trio playing Beethoven's Piano Trios. For just about the same money I can get a 9 cd box of the Piano Trios, Violin Sonatas, Concertos etc. I'll sacrifice the liners for all of this music every time. In the case of other boxes they consist of things that are out of print in many instances and have never been cheaper.

13. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

These RCA/Sony's are a really great value, I'm considering Wand's Bruckner for future purchase (19,50 euro shipped?!).

[​IMG]

Is this for sure? :sigh: :thumbsdn: I'm going to order at least a couple of their titles tomorrow then (Grooves-Inc currently have the lowest prices).

14. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

They are definitely better tuned for classical than SR-60s and, AFAIK, they use transducers from SR-125s. :righton:

15. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

For the total refinement (as well as mixing/mastering) I occasionally use these Audio-Technica monitoring babies:

[​IMG]

Actually, they could have been my only pair but their fit is a bit too tough.

I would paraphrase: how long before we have the French salaries/pensions if our electricity tariff has become higher than in France while our monthly income still is an order of magnitude lower? Oh well, at least, while working, I got all the neccessary music hardware, and nowadays there are all these sexy uber-cheap box sets which allow the classical lover in me to breath. :laugh:

16. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Nowadays it's far cheaper to give an internet link. :winkgrin:

17. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Is it any good?

18. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic Thread Starter

I forgot to mention the other day when I went on my local used search.....
    I finally completed my Sony Classical Copland set!

Got this one being the first of the set and the only one that's a single CD.
    *ERROR printed also.....front cover is in front and back...oooppss*
    The others are 1936-1948 (2CD) 1948-1971 (2CD)

[​IMG]

These I have had since their release 1990-1991

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Two nice additions to my classical music diet,this time with better cover artwork than last time.
    Never heard of the piano player before, but he is great !
    Sounds like a soccer player from Bayern Munich, thiough...LOL
    Thomas Hitelsberger.

Attached Files:

20. ron p

ron p Forum Resident

The first cd that I played (Isaac Stern-Beethoven Violin Sonatas Cd-5) blasted some nasty static through my system. I thought maybe it was a bad tube and shut down my main system. This was not the case because it then blasted the same static into my computer setup. I was playing the cd ripped via Itunes through my Sonos system. I do have error correction checked in Itunes. My main system is Sonos wireless and the computer is Sonos wired. I have never had a bad rip from a new cd. I have had it happen to some older cd's but never the loud blast of static that I was treated to here. I will post if I have any other issues with these cd's. Hopefully it's a fluke, isolated incident and my tweeters aren't cooked.

21. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I have a high expectation for the SACD release of La Spagna from BIS.

22. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

23. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Joe,

I never like Grados much. My headphones are Sennheiser HD600, AKG K-701 and Beyerdynamic DT-990. How are things down under a few months after the quake?

24. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

We're slowly pulling everything together... I'm still working from home as they won't let us in the building yet, but we've had the full assessment of our house done (estimated $80-$100k in repairs, hooray for earthquake insurance), and we've set everything in the house back as close to the way it was before the quake as we've been able to.

The city itself will take years to get back to some semblance of normal. They are slowly opening parts of the city center but up to a third of the buildings there will need to be demolished. And we're still all using porta-pottys and chemical toilets over here on the eastern side, which isn't exactly ideal. :laugh:

As for the headphones I rather like the Grado/Allesandro line. I had a cheaper pair of Senns once that I liked, so I wouldn't mind hearing the higher end ones, but I'm not in a real hurry to change.

25. Good way to kick off the day.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.