Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #24)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I don't think so.

The first of the two CDs is from a reissue series, so doubtless it's a reissue of the CD that's marked "Live",

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I found the Bruckner 8th that is marked "Live" strange, as I do not hear any coughs or clapping. :confused:

3. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Are you really uncomfortable about that? :laugh: Nowadays many live productions (say, LSO Live) pretty successfully eliminate any traces of people's illnesses.

4. coopmv

Not really. I have long wondered if all of the LSO Live recordings are truly "live" recordings? They all sound like they were recorded in a very controlled environment ...

5. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from the following set, which just arrived on Friday for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

6. coopmv

Just placed a small order on the following CD's s at Amazon this afternoon ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Now playing:

Bruckner
    Symphony No. 3
    (1877/78 version)

Symphonie-Orchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks/Rafael Kubelik
    Audite 92.543 SACD [Orig. live rec. 1962]

This Audite "Listen & Compare" Hybrid SACD series is an interesting example of a modern remastering (or tinkering, depending on your point of view) job that tries to "improve" older recordings eliminating, among other things, some live artifacts.

The remastered part (the whole RB layer and the first program on the SACD layer) demonstrate such "improvements" (i.e. somewhat reduced hiss, eliminated tape-through artifacts and occasional coughing) and sounds pretty similar to most of Originals series releases on DG/Decca. It's not bad but, happily, it's the second program on the SACD layer, which really makes it worth it: an unaltered transfer from the original master. No traces of ambient "deadness" there, it really blooms and finally shows some obvious superiority of the hi-rez format (although it's not a night and day difference, the recording itself shows its age).

BTW, it's my current favorite Bruckner performance.

Attached Files:

8. coopmv

I am still sitting on the fence on this one. It looks interesting but I would like to hear more opinions about this remastered recording ...

9. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

It's a fantastic performance, very vivid and lively, with a real "bite". Kubelik is pretty brisk and almost bombast, so it may become a quite shocking alternative to the more spiritual/ambient approach to Bruckner. But this SACD is a no-brainer, especially while you can get it from jpc.de for 6 euros + shipping (better as a part of combined order).

10. coopmv

I have never ordered from JPC but have heard that its shipping charge to the US is pretty steep. On the shipping front, Presto Classical is the least expensive European music etailer ...

11. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

IIRC, I had already written somewhere in this thread that JPC have fixed "per shipment" shipping rates and no "per item" rates at all. Shipping of any quantity of CDs to Latvia costs 6 euros, to USA - 13 euros. So it's hardly "steep". :wave:

12. coopmv

So JPC simply encourages people to place "large" order? Was it Ron who posted a few weeks ago that he received a bill from the US Customs for his order from Presto Classical?

13. coopmv

We are less than 90 posts from thread #25. Haven't seen George online today, must be out on a hot date ... :winkgrin:

14. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Yes, they encourage people to do so. BUT. They also offer much more flexible price reductions on the goods on offer - so you may buy something twice, thrice, etc, as cheap than the retail price. So, you don't need to exceed the risky $250 barrier to get a real bunch of bargains.

These days JPC and Grooves-Inc have become two truly unbeatable etailers for me and my wallet.

15. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Today is the Victory Day. Let's wish him a quick siege. :winkgrin:

16. coopmv

A quick seige on a hot babe never works ... :winkgrin:

17. coopmv

I have unwittingly dealt with abeille musique when I ordered from Amazon US MP vendor Fabulous CD, which is really not bad though the order was filled and sent from Germany. I think Grooves, a Swiss outfit (?) is another Amazon US MP vendor, whose MP-name eluded me at the moment. Heaven knows what the US Customs is looking for these days when it comes to international mail orders. My wife is much underemployed these days since she sells residential homes and we just got hit with some large tax bill from Uncle Sam, which is after some money grab because of the deficits ...

18. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I actually meant "a siege that is shorter than eternity". And if it's made of exploratory attacks exclusively, why not? :laugh:

19. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

My whole family consists of pensioners exclusively (incl. myself, although I may take some small freelance tasks 3-5 times a year) with a total monthly income equal to a pretty overage 42" LCD TV set. Still, each situation has at least 2 exits, and I vote for the one with occasional sparks of optimism (namely a daily cuppa of good tea, some classical CDs and sci-fi magazines each month + some cheap and nice French cognac on big dates). All thanks to the relatively low - although ever-increasing - facility bills and travelling ban, which I set 2-3 years ago, when Mr. Crisis (both the world and the health) arrived.

20. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

:laugh: Substitute an "e" for the "i" in Bodin and the second composer has the same name as me (minus the Boismortier as well of course)

21. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Guys, do you have any experience with music of Howard Hanson and this particular set of symphonies and other works (it's currently on offer at... a German e-store :laugh:)?

Attached Files:

22. coopmv

Joe, This is an American baroque ensemble that has displayed a high level of virtuosity. The ensemble was founded by Karen Flint, a professor at University of Delaware. Some Americans think of the Boston Baroque immediately whenever baroque music is considered but I have never had a high opinion of that ensemble and do not own a single recording by it.

23. coopmv

I am curious to see some recommendations as well since I never like "modern" classical music.

24. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

:help:Could someone please help me to find out the microphone descriptions of the two Mercury recordings, Tabuh Tabhan (by Hanson) and Scythian Suite (by Dorati)?

The CDs have the detailed descriptions on the linernotes, though I don't have them in front of me.

25. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Terrific renditions of Hanson works. Worth every penny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.