Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #25)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member Thread Starter

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Just as a reminder, this thread (and the 24 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, what recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, discuss classical works, classical composers, etc.

Also, beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to offer my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that have made this such and enjoyable and informative experience thus far! You guys are the best!

:wave:

3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Just listened to this LP.

[​IMG]

Like most of the London ffrr LPs this is an amazingly lifelike recording and a great performance too!

4. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Beethoven: String Trios E Flat Op.3 & D Op.8 (Serenade)
    Perlman/Zukerman/Harrell
    EMI cd

5. John S

John S Forum Resident

Right now...

Prokofiev
    Symphony No. 1 in D, Opus [size=+3]25[/size] "Classical Symphony"

Berlin Philharmonic
    Herbert von Karajan

As with Shostakovich's First Symphony, most conductors drive this bus too slow, Maestro Karajan included.

Attached Files:

6. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, I like it fast too. :agree:

Who do you feel gets it right?

7. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Not Carl

Lenny!

[​IMG]

Got his old NYPO recording on one of those newspaper headline vinyl reissues of Columbia's. Very forward moving performance, tonnes of energy.

8. George P

George P Notable Member

Looks like that one's smoking.

Morning Robin, thanks.

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Out, out brief candle

At both ends. There's something about the dynamism of Maestro Bernstein in the sixties. His second studio recording of Beethoven's Seventh with the NYPO is still in regular rotation here. I can well imagine Broadway tunes and Beatle singles ringing in Bernstein's head when he recorded that performance, it's so full of energy.

10. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Huge haul today. First this arrived, purchased due to the recommendation and article in the previous thread:

[​IMG]

Played the first disc on the big rig as no one else was home. The sound and performance are quite incredible really... the claims made about the quality of the recording are not understated in the least. The low bass was so powerful it shook the house, which is sort of disconcerting after two major earthquakes since September, but there you go.

I also got a pile of used discs after work, a smattering of this and that. After Puccini I played this:

[​IMG]

I couldn't pass it up for just a couple of dollars, even if Wit is not known for his Mahler. The SQ was quite good and the performance seemed very fine indeed... I haven't anything to compare it to, but it did make for a satisfying listen.

11. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

On Monday I found a copy of this:

[​IMG]

I've much enjoyed Dvorak's 9th (I have Reiner and Giulini) so I thought I would give this a try, and it was indeed excellent, easily my favorite disc of the ones I've heard recently. The first movement of the 8th was quite magnificent, incredible dynamics and impeccable recording. In any case I decided I needed a lot more Dvorak (who like Berlioz is quickly becoming a favorite) and so after reading Penguin and some online reviews I ordered this:

[​IMG]

Having said that, though, Jansons impressed me so much that I am going to go back and get the rest of his Dvorak works.

12. George P

George P Notable Member

Great choice! He's my go to for Dvorak. :agree:

13. John S

John S Forum Resident

Unfortunately, this is my only version right now. I used to like Ormandy on vinyl, but I haven't heard it in years....
    BTW, Karajan does better with the Prokofiev 5 on the above disc, but my imprint will always be Szell/Cleveland.

14. John S

John S Forum Resident

The Wit M5 gets a :thumbsup: from me. You can do worse.

15. George P

George P Notable Member

Szell was an incredible conductor! Haven't heard his Prokofiev, but must remedy that.

16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

István Kertész's recording of Dvorak's Sixth symphony in his complete set of Dvorák symphonies is my favorite single performance of a Dvorák symphony.

Try to find this issue—fantastic performances of the Seventh and Eighth symphonies in excellent sound:

[​IMG]

17. drh

drh Talking Machine

I agree about Bernstein if you're going with recordings from the stereo era. Toscanini also recorded this work on mono LP (undoubtedly reissued on CD seven ways come Sunday), and as you can imagine he does not linger over it in any way. If you're willing to go back a ways further yet, though, Koussevitzky is your man, preferably his earlier go at the score. As far as I know, like most of Koussevitzky's recordings, it has not seen light of day in a more currently accessible format.

18. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I mentioned once that I was in the audience whent that was recorded.

19. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I take it you don't feature in the coughs then :D
    Now gonna spin the second disc in the set.

20. George P

George P Notable Member

Would that be his 1929 recording?

[quote[As far as I know, like most of Koussevitzky's recordings, it has not seen light of day in a more currently accessible format.[/QUOTE]

I happen to have two CDs featuring him, including this one:

[​IMG]

21. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Try some of his chamber music. This is a favorite of mine.

Attached Files:

22. drh

drh Talking Machine

I'm sure that's the one, issued on 78s as Victor records 7196 and 7197. He rerecorded it in the mid-to-late '40s, issued as Victor set 1241. Absent capability to play 78s, you're lucky to have some Koussevitzky on CD; as I understand things, the Boston SO, or perhaps its chapter of the musician's union, has generally taken a very hardnosed negotiating position that has largely prevented his recordings from entering the reissue mill.

23. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, that's the 78s Pearl cites as it's source. :agree:

Unfortunately, the CD is bronzed and the final track (Peter and the Wolf, narrated by Richard Hale) won't rip. :sigh:

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Mt. Rush-less

Now listening to symphony #1 in C from:

[​IMG]

In spite of the monumentalism of these interpretations, it's the 1, 2, 4, & 8 in this set that are really winning me over.

25. John S

John S Forum Resident

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.