Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #25)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Ah, very good to know. I have no issue at all with more hiss if the underlying recorded music is more lifelike as a result. I will look into the Naxos discs. :cheers:

2. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

My limited experience with Pearl releases has been negative -- they sound as if they make little effort to locate good copies of the originals.

3. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I think Brendel's Impromptus are as good as they get, though I would not want to give up Maria Joao Pires's set on DG as well. Also, Lipatti on EMI in D.899/3 & 2.

4. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD5 - conclusion of SMP from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

6. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

That set has the greatest recording of the Second Symphony on record IMO. :righton:

7. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I got that set for Christmas as well. I like it a lot, but it gets a bit samey if you listen to all 5 discs in a row.

Talking about Savall, all this talk about the Brandenburg Concertos just made me put on this SACD:

[​IMG]

8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

These AliaVox recordings are amazing!

9. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Yep, I'm a fan too.

10. coopmv

This was just about the last version of the Brandenburg Concertos I got.

11. coopmv

A Spanish label pressed in Austria? I have kind of run out of its SACD's to buy ...

12. coopmv

If you like Bach, this is probably the best Sonatas for Viola da gamba and harpsichord out there ...

[​IMG]

13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Here is one of my favorites:

[​IMG]

Yeah, that's the one that Stuart was listening in the quoted post, I really like the sound in this one maybe I 'll go ahead and listen to it now.

14. coopmv

Looks like 3 members of this corner have this 5-SACD set ... :D

15. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have a lot of cds of Marin Marais. This particular SACD contains music from his opera Semele and it is very well recorded.

[​IMG]

There is only one copy in Amazon for $15.16, very recommended!

16. coopmv

I have a few baroque operas by Rameau. Essentially all my baroque operas are Handel's, who no doubt was the best baroque opera composer.

17. coopmv

Now playing CD3 - Pastoral Symphony from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

18. Jay F

Jay F New Member

19. coopmv

Now playing CD1 - the Nocturnes from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

20. George P

George P Notable Member

You make up for it in good taste. :righton:

This is what you need.

Totally! :agree:

That live CD is very good and this is coming from someone who isn't even really a fan of the pianist.

21. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

big agreement on that! truly a magical disc... if you're interested in Bach I can't recommend this highly enough.

22. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

I found it pleasingly different from what you'd normally expect.
    I think that's why most like it......just assuming tho! :)

23. mannymarks

mannymarks New Member

I pulled out several 60's era Audio fidelity titles to listen to today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Jay, I have thought about this CD set, but have passed every time. For Abbado, I am planning to snap up the Blu-ray discs on Euroarts (switching to Accentus for the recently-released Ninth) when I finally upgrade the ol' DVD rig. His almost-finished cycle with the Lucerne Festival Orchestra has gotten lots of raves, and I have only Bernstein's early 70's cycle with VPO on DG DVD (and OOP, I believe). Great directing on that by Lenny's longtime collaborator, Humphrey Burton. Abbado is a born Mahlerian, though admittedly not to all tastes. He hasn't visited these shores in a while, I don't think.

25. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

It really comes down to the transfer engineer. Sounds like you may have heard a Haynes/Atwell production which always seem to be completely 'non-interventionist' -- as if you are basically listening to a 78 on an old turntable, no processing at all. Pearl used several engineers, more than any other historical label, but Pearl is also the godfather of historical reissue labels with by far the longest run from 1974 till 2005-ish. There is wide disparity on sound from release to release: Denis Hall, Ward Marston, Roger Beardsley, Mark Obert-Thorn, Seth Winner, Charles Haynes, Colin Atwell, maybe David Lennick on a few, and I think I'm leaving out one or two. Recently, I put in my collection the earliest Pearl LP I have seen, some early sides of Glazunov conducting his own work, copyright date on the back of jacket is 1975.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.