Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #25)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have these Brandenburg Concertos on Tacet. The sound is wonderful, though I really cannot make a good call on the performance since I have listened to the twofer only once. I think the Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra is doing somewhat better than the Munich Bach Orchestra after their founding conductors are gone. At any rate, the memories live on these wonderful CD recordings in our collection. We should be thankful for the CD invention by Philips/Sony ...

2. coopmv

BTW, this new set released by Newton Classics is on my shopping list. Not all Munchinger's Bach choral works are available on Decca ...

[​IMG]

3. tolkev

tolkev Rain Dog

Just listened to Solti & CSO's Beethoven 9th on vinyl. Amazing!

Attached Files:

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I couldn't agree more. I buy the Silver Lines in particular when I see them, and I keep a Pictures > Music > Philips file. I've never cared much for either Haitink's or Ozawa's Mahler, however.

5. coopmv

I do not have any Solti Beethoven in my collection. I also do not have a single Beethoven cycle performed by an American orchestra. I think the Beethoven 9th by Cleveland and Dohnanyi is the only exception ...

6. coopmv

Do you buy the Philips Silver Line CD's used? I think Philips stopped releasing the Silver Line a number of years before its disappearance.

I have been buying some used CD's that are OOP slowly and have gotten some good bargains. All my purchases have been online so far, though the B&M stores may offer better deals but there are few used CD stores in CT that specialize in classical music.

7. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Oh, yes. With a few exceptions, used is the only way to find them nowadays.

8. coopmv

Can you find good used CD stores in Pittsburgh?

9. tolkev

tolkev Rain Dog

I just uncovered this Solti/CSO LPin a box of classical vinyl I've had since 2002 and have been slowly working through. My previous go-to Beethoven was Harnoncourt/Chamber Orchestra of Europe on Teldec CD. Maybe I am just too use to that recording because I found the Solti / CSO to be more engaging. I really enjoyed it and was involved with the performance from beginning to end.

10. coopmv

Now playing CD4 - 6 Trio Sonatas from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

11. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

The new cycle from the Minnesota O and Osmo Vanska is supposed to be very good, and what of it I've heard sounds so to me as well.

12. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Eddie, I don't know whether you feel you've already got enough Mahler, but I'd go for both the DG CD set and the new DVD/Blu series. One way or another you need the Mahler 5 with the BPO that is on CD, though I think there is also a SACD version. In the Lucerne series, the M7 is by far the best I've heard of the piece.

13. tolkev

tolkev Rain Dog

I have to recommend BSO/Munch: Beethoven Symphonies 5 and 6 on RCA Living Stereo Hybrid SACD. A fantastic sounding recording made during a legendary time in the BSO's history.

14. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Not really. There's a small chain called The Exchange, but it mostly sells DVDs now, and there's hardly any classical. I buy on Amazon Marketplace mostly, and sometimes on eBay. But it's not an obsession. I just pick things up as I find them. And they have to be cheap.

15. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Not even Szell and the Cleveland?

16. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

Yes, Szell and Bruno Walter's cycles are well worth having, age notwithstanding.

17. George P

George P Notable Member

I'd say the Szell is essential, in fact. The individual discs can be found dirt cheap in the bins.

18. coopmv

I totally forgot that I actually have this SACD ... :shake:

19. coopmv

I actually meant I do not have any Beethoven cycle by any modern American orchestra. I have the cycle by Toscanini ...

20. coopmv

Just ordered the following CD's/CD sets this evening ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Emmanuel Krivine

Spent the weekend absorbing some outstanding new orchestral Beethoven. I'm gonna go out on a limb here: based on what I've heard so far, this new release is one of the best Beethoven cycles available right now. Have played 3, 5, 6, 7, 8 and am totally blown away by the energy, cohesion, flexibility, and lack of astringency and dessication in the string sound of this period instrument ensemble. According to Krivine, it's not an authentic interpretation so much as an authentic interpretation -- and that didn't really register until I started listening and getting into it. And the sound on this Naïve 5CD set is awesome: full-bodied, rich, dynamic. Clam-shell case, booklet with two essays, including one by Krivine, and discs in custom individual sleeves with timings on back. Gardiner's 1994 set is headed for the trade-in counter, I will keep Immerseel's 2008 Zig Zag cycle (plus overtures) as a period alternative. I got mine at Borders.com for $21 delivered, with coupon. You could do a lot worse for that amount of money. Beethoven heads, I think you need this set!

Attached Files:

22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

That good, eh? I 'll definitely check it out.

23. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Definitely worth at least a cursory investigation, IMHO.

24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I am not that great an admirer of the period instrument approach to the romantic repertoire but I am willing to take my chances with this one, as I never get tired of Beethoven. I just ordered it from Amazon BTW but it might take 1-4 weeks unfortunately.

I was recently listening to these two discs by Anima Eterna, these are on period instruments and the performances are very idiomatic, I liked the Korsakov but not so much the Berlioz.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Ehhhh . . .

Parts of, I guess. Sorry, but the Szell set has some coarse sound. It's got some beautiful playing but the engineering is a bit hinkey. And Walter has his moments too, but the production quality could be improved upon. I've owned and played those recordings many times. I'd say that first-timers would be better directed towards Blomstedts' Dresden set on Brilliant. The sound is better, the orchestra is better—that's right, better than Cleveland under Szell—the Pastorale, Seventh and Chorale are for the ages, the price is about the same, all performances are all at least very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.