Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #27)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yeah, these are Russian musicians and the team behind the console is Polyhymnia, same people who record the Pentatone SACDs. This is really a great disc, very well played and recorded.

Here's is some more info:

http://www.caromitis.com/eng/catalogue/cm0112004.html

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Thanks for the link.

Do you have to buy this recording from some Russian site? I bought a few Bach recordings by Feinberg and Nikolayeva from RussianDVD.com, which is actually located in Brooklyn NY, I believe.

3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

No, this one is available from Amazon

C.p.e. Bach: Oboenkonzert & Sonaten

and ArchivMusic

C.P.E.Bach
    Oboenkonzerte & Sonaten
    ALEXEI UTKIN / HERMITAGE CHAMBER ORCHESTRA

Most of the catalogue of this label, Caro Mitis, is easily available on the major online retailers. I 've never ordered from RussianDVD.com, but I'll keep it in mind for the more obscure stuff.

4. coopmv

Now playing CD5, the last CD - Manfred & Overture 1812 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

5. coopmv

Now playing CD5 - Schumann PC in A and Tchaikovsky PC No. 1 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

6. coopmv

Or they can offer the projects to either Ward Marston or Mark Obert Thorn to remaster the originals ... :righton:

7. coopmv

Now playing CD5, the last CD - Violin Sonatas Nos 1 & 2 from the following set for a first listen. This is a very lovely set that offers tremendous values for the money ...

[​IMG]

8. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

OK, so after some research and thoughts about what I might like, I have the folllowing SACD's in my Amazon Cart. Let me know how I did in my choices. All are from the RCA Living Stereo series:

Richard Strauss: Also sprach Zarathustra; Ein Heldenleben
    Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade; Stravinsky: Song of the Nightingale
    Mahler: Symphony No. 4 ~ Reiner / Della Casa
    Offenbach: Gaïte parisienne; Rossini-Respighi: La boutique fantasque
    RaveTchaikovsky: Pathétique Symphony: Daphnis et Chloe
    Beethoven: Violin Concerto; Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto
    Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 1; Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 2

9. coopmv

I started my SACD collection with some of these RCA Living Series titles a few years ago. I now have over 300 titles in my SACD collection ...

10. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

By and large, that is what is being done. EMI Icon series, for example. Clara Haskil box. And on and on. Major label staffs have been hugely reduced over the last five years, and especially over the last ten years. Rhino is virtually nothing now, a couple guys and a secretary -- seen any of its famous big, labor-intensive box sets recently? Bill Inglot was handed his walking papers four years ago, Sony Music Studios closed soon after, and Abbey Road and Emil Berliner Studios are mere shadows in the light of their storied respective histories. Take the Heifetz box on Sony Classical: I question how much actual remastering was done by B-sharp Music & Media Solutions other than some minor EQ adjustment and level-matching. Actual master tapes for 104 CD's were definitely not flown from New York, with new DSD-transfers effected in Germany. Maybe a couple odds and ends had to be created anew, of course, such as the previously unreleased material (which, if I'm not mistaken, have separate credits). Said hi-rez masters were almost certainly created by the Sony team at some point after the massive overhaul of the RCA vault in the late 90's. I would bet a bottle of beer that hi-res files, or discs, were sent to Germany and that is what B-sharp worked from. In other words, the real work was completed years ago. Andreas Meyer would know.

11. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Now playing...

[​IMG][​IMG]

Picked this set up this week in the used bins, as I have always wanted to hear Gould in this repertoire. So far, I am definitely enjoying this and I love that Gould wrote the liner notes.

12. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I'm just going through some CDs I borrowed from my mother. First was some Cello Concertos by Vivaldi (Paul Tortelier on cello, Philip Ledger, London Mozart Players). Very nice.

[​IMG]

Now it's Händel's Concerti Grossi and Oboe Concerti (Victor Alexeyev, Collegium Musicum).

[​IMG]

It's funny how Baroque music like Händel and Telemann always reminds me of my childhood sundays. We usually listened to it while having our sunday breakfast. And since part of this sunday breakfast were boiled eggs, as a little child I called this music "Eiermusik" (egg music) and that became part of our family vocabulary. To this day most Baroque music is "Eiermusik" to me (especially on a sunday) and reminds me of my childhood. Happy times. :)

13. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I am loving this latest release...I really NEED to get an SACD player!!

[​IMG]

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Eine Kleine Mittagessen Musik

Working at the Musical Offering in Berkeley, we would co-ordinate the music from the CD side of the store with the needs of the cafe. Our default recording was the Corelli Concerti Grossi OP. 6 as played by Nick McGegan and the Philharmonia Baroque. So my mind inevitably drifts to quiet afternoons around lunchtime whenever I play those discs.

15. wolfram

Tafelmusik

I guess that's what they call "table music". :D

16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I say it's spinach and I say to hell with it!

I call Telemann musical Sominex.

17. wolfram

Yeah, I haven't listened to him much since I left my parent's home. My father loved him though (maybe it was his childhood's "Eiermusik").

18. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

This is from his final series from the 80s.:cheers:

19. wolfram

Back to the egg

More of mom's music. Händel's Oboe Concertos Nos 1-3 (Camden, Ward, City of London Sinfonia).

[​IMG]

20. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

A great bargain disc. :righton:

21. wolfram

Especially for me, since it's my mom's. :D

The one I'm listening to right now on the other hand seems to go for 50 $ on amazon. Used, that is. :eek:

[​IMG]

I bet my mom has no idea.

22. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Or she's the one who listed it. Better treat it with kid gloves. :laugh:

Now playing:

[​IMG]

Easily my favorite opera (OK, I only know a few operas, but still...) The female lead is stunning, producing some musical climaxes that send shivers down my spine. I am listening to this on my Blackberry in V0 MP3 and it sounds great!

23. wolfram

:laugh:

24. Jay F

Jay F New Member

B & B

Attached Files:

25. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

These William Carter CD's by Linn are really recorded low...Loooooow!

Attached Files:

• 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      31 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.