Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #27)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I hadn't either. I searched for "Abbado Rachmaninov," as I've overlooked both of them for many years.

Any Rachmaninov you love? Or Abbado, for that matter? Anyone?

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I am out now, Jay, but will be happy to reply later.

3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I love the Lazar Berman/Abbado Rach 3.

Do you mean just recordings of Abbado doing Rachmaninov or Rach recordings in general?:cheers:

abbado.jpg

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Any Rachmaninov you like. By anyone.

And anything by Abbado you have liked (except Mahler, which I've got covered, thank you very much). The Rach 3 with Berman has come up before, btw. Maybe I'll get that.

Thanks, George.

5. Rose River Bear

Great picture of you George. I like the cats. Wish we could adopt one but the allergies!!!!!

6. Rose River Bear

Holy smokes a big list. I have many top of the list recordings for Abbado.

I like his Beethoven Box very much. His Scriabin amd Debussy disc have the best recordings on record IMO. His Bruckner 4th with the Wiener is my favorite also. I will have to go thru my collection for the rest. I have many favorite recordings conducted by him.

abbado.jpg

abbado 2.jpg

7. Jay F

Jay F New Member

That's so nice to hear, Frank. We talk so often about so many conductors and performers, but I don't hear many people mentioning Abbado very often. I like this Beethoven box, too. Have you heard the one with the WP?

That second disc, with Debussy's Nocturnes, is HTF. Only our friend arkiv has it on AM, on one of his arkiv cd-rs.

8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

How is the Szell Haydn set on Sony re-release?

9. John S

John S Forum Resident

10. coopmv

That wishlist just keeps getting longer ... :righton::winkgrin:

11. coopmv

Is this the re-recording of his Beethoven cycle? I have that one but it has a different cover.

12. Rose River Bear

I do not have the WP but have heard some it at my In Laws. Very good also. He rarely misses the mark IMO. PS- This is one of my favorite 9ths.

abbado t.jpg

13. Rose River Bear

I think this is the first recording. Many folk like the re recording but I have never heard it. Supposedly better sound.

14. coopmv

This is the Abbado set I have ...

[​IMG]

I am done with collecting Beethoven cycles. From Furtwangler and Toscanini through the second half of the 20th century, I now have some 25 or 26 cycles. I may add the set by Bruno Walter to my collection if it is available at a reasonable price ...

15. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I quickly got rid of it in 1992.

From what I have gleaned on amazon, the one with the maroon cover is the re-recorded set, except for the 9th, which is the same on both editions. This I got from Santa Fe Listener's reviews. The maroon cover is dated 2008, the turquoise cover 2000.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...hoven+abbado&x=0&y=0&sprefix=beethoven+abbado

16. coopmv

There were some very unsavory comments about the Santa Fe Listener on the other classical music forum where a number of individuals perpetually think they are the authorities on any works they write about. Obviously, I am usually my own judge. The reviews on Amazon are only reliable when they number 20 to 30 ...

17. George P

Abbaddo -Verdi requiem - the maroon one

More on Rach in a second.

Jay did you sign up for spotify? Might be a good way to sample sopme Rach.

18. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Last night I watched again the DVD of James Ehnes HOMAGE. It is a very nice recital using twelve different violins and violas in the David Fulton collection in Seattle. The CD and DVD set won a Grammy in 2008. There are lots of choices and extras on the DVD and one can just listen to the music and not the talking intros.

There are six different Stradivari violins, a Pietro Guarneri, and two Giuseppi Guarneri. The three violas are a Andrea Guarneri, a Giuseppe Guadagnini, and ca. 1560 Gasparo Bertolotti that is fabulous.

EhnesHomage.jpg

Ehnescoverinside.jpg

19. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I have been listening to spotify all afternoon, George, but it's really hinky in classical. Hard to play an entire work all the way through. I've reached my limit with it for today.

Would this be the maroon Verdi Requiem? http://www.amazon.com/Giuseppe-Verd...=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1310930515&sr=1-3.

20. coopmv

Is it free or is it a European iTunes?

21. Jay F

Jay F New Member

It has a free component, which is designed to drive you crazy, as it will interrupt, say, Pelleas et Melisande, with a commercial for a rap album. The good membership is $10/month. But I'm finding it difficult to play classical.

Right now, I have placed 20 tracks from a Verdi's Requiem (Abbado, EMI, not maroon) in "Play Tracks" (which someone told me is how to do this) and when I click on the "play" button, nothing happens.

22. George P

That's not me, silly. That's Bubbles.

23. George P

24. coopmv

Abbado could not be that bad if he was picked to succeed HvK at the BPO. He does seem to be much underrated IMO ...

25. coopmv

So you pay the fee via credit card and download the tracks you want?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.