Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #28)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Yes, I forgotten that one. Probably because I was trying to. :laugh:

2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I 've always enjoyed Bohm's Mozart, especially the original DG LPs, despite the slow tempos and other anachronisms, the truth is that these performances are magnificent.

3. George P

OK, I should revisit, as I didn't give him much of a chance before.

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Speaking of Bohm and Mozart and opera, his Le Nozze di Figaro is one of my favorites.

5. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Opus numbers - I used to have the opus numbers for all 24 of Brahms' chamber music pieces memorized. (I also used to be able to list the presidents in order.)

6. john greenwood

I have this 4 disc set which includes the Te Deum.

Attached Files:

7. john greenwood

+1

8. George P

I already have that on my wishlist, but I'll move it up. :righton:

EDIT: found a new copy for under $9 shipped and couldn't resist. Opera sure is cheap!

Attached Files:

9. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

Completely agree on Furtie, but then again I'm a huge fan of his conducting. I'm very fond of the Celi too, but don't know that I'd say it's a good entry point. Two single performances that also rank right up there are #8 by HvK with the Vienna (right before his death), and #9 by Walter with the Columbia. It's hard for me to put any other performances on that same pedestal... (Big disclaimer though, I've never listened to the Wand performances)

10. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Excellent.

11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

His recording of the Seventh with Berlin is as good as it gets.

[​IMG]

12. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Love this 8. And I'm not a big Herbie fan.

13. john greenwood

Speaking of Szell - I recently "upgraded" my office system - I brought in headphones to reduce the substantial amount of white noise in my environment, and reloaded my iPod with Apple Lossless tracks - and listened today to the remastered version of Haydn Symphony No. 93. What a delight. The original CD version on Odyssey was so bad I refused to play it through a decent system, but the remastered version, while not reference quality, is more than good enough to enjoy the performance. (Love the fart.)

Headphones are Senn 590's, which work well in the office, as they do not block out all external sound, and are extremely comfortable. I'm playing them through a Creek amp.

14. George P

On the recording? I haven't heard it.

I have 580s and I love them. I just wish they weren't so warm. My ears get too hot. :sigh:

15. Paradiddle

Paradiddle Forum Resident

Can I ask what kind of amp you have? I'm thinking of getting one for office listening, as well. I'm tired of the crappy sound quality through the standard iPod headphone jack!

16. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

me neither, in fact i'm almost the opposite of a fan ;) but you have to give credit where credit is due. i know this is completely hearsay, but i do remember some kind of comment coming out when that performance was released to the effect that only now at the end of his life did he 'get it', referring to the spiritual core of a piece, whereas most of his career was spent achieving a tonal beauty which could often verge on slickness.

i'll keep an eye out for the live wand #7

oh, and i recently bought those live giulini discs which got great reviews but haven't listened to them yet. :(

17. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I don't think I've heard anything by Giulini. I know his Bruckner 9 is a favorite of many. Is this one of the live ones you're talking about?

18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

What's that smell?

It's written into the score, and I heard it the first time.

Szell really knows how to deliver that joke.

19. john greenwood

In the office I have a 12 year old Creek SE 5350, which is complete overkill, but it was sitting in my closet. I do have speakers connected as well, but I can only play those at very low volume, where the sound can be overwhelmed by the HVAC system, which is exposed.

I can recommend Creek headphone amps as well, though. I have a Creek OBH-11 SE at home.

20. john greenwood

I have a pair of 650's at home, but there is no question that the 590's are easier on the ears during extended wearing.

21. George P

I think I have that one. I have to check.

22. Jay F

Jay F New Member

It's Vienna, not Berlin.

23. George P

My 580s are sooooooooo comfortable.

24. john greenwood

Listen to the bassoon at the end of the slow movement. Papa Haydn saying, "Think again!"

25. George P

right, it's on DG though, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.