Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #28)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I've enjoyed the 7th and 8th he did for EMI for many years. Need to check if there are any others in the HVK EMI box.

And the Walter 9th is excellent. I have it on Odyssey. Are there any improved remasterings?

2. Jay F

Jay F New Member

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Academic Festival Symphony

The later Bruno Walter Edition I once owned was vastly superior. I hear that the current remastering is even better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A wonderful, valedictorian performance with great recorded sound.

4. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

there's a bunch of bruckner from giulini, most of it recorded live including #'s 7, 8 & 9 released on dg. those are the performances people usually refer to. but there are a smattering of prior performances available on emi and testament. and more recently bbc, testament, and hanssler have put out concert recordings of #'s 7, 8 & 9... sometimes in multiple versions, like there's a #8 on bbc (philharmonia '83) and on testament (berlin '84). anyway, if you want a giulini bruckner 9, it's probably the dg one, but there's more than that out there. and if you want a bruckner 9 the place to start is furtwangler & walter.

5. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Heartburn too!

Oh, I got piles alright.

I just shuffle the piles and see if anything comes up. There's about 200s CD I have yet to hear.

Guess I'll listen to Jochum's underrated version of Bruckner's 6th again anyway.

7. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I don't. I don't buy enough to have a "new" pile, and I change my mind too quickly about stuff I already own.

8. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I keep new (unlistened-to) stuff separate from the "main pile" (it's literally a pile because all my racks broke in the February earthquake). There's sort of a third area where discs collect that are of "current interest". I think a few unlistened-to strays have found their way into the main pile. :laugh:

9. ron p

ron p Forum Resident

I have the Wand Bruckner#8 with Berlin Phil. burned into my brain from repeated listens. I then bought the Wand WDR cycle/box but it never really caught on. I just looked at the Wand Sony box. I never realized that this box is an earlier cycle w/Cologne? The price is right, is this worth a try?

Clifford Curzon-Decca Recordings Vol.4 1944-1970 7-Cd
    Beethoven Piano Concertos#4/5
    Hans Knappertbusch/Vienna Philharmonic

"Another thing I deplore is the present-day importance attached to technical perfection. There is a paradox here, I think; if you can't risk a wrong note, your right notes are apt to mean less."
    -Clifford Curzon-Liner notes in box

10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

another $.99 find from last weekend.this was the first recording of Anderson's Piano Concerto.nice stuff.

Attached Files:

11. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Owing to unemployment issues I've bought very little new music this year - even if I find a full time job before Christmas, I have an list of birthday/Christmas wishes which I just recycle and send to my family year to year and I'll probably add my "must listen to" choices to that - hey, anything to save money...

12. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

13. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, which arrived from MDT yesterday for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

14. coopmv

I have a few "to listen to piles" and they are spread across 3 rooms at my house. I just listen on the stereo system in the room I happen to be in ...

15. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Bruckner

Have you heard Asahina? He recorded a bunch of Bruckner in Japan. Some JVC's reissued on XRCD (5, 7, 8, 9).

16. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

They're the same, recorded 1974-81.

17. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today's arrivals... Well, these and a Stranglers box set ;)

Historical recordings... Another area this forum (and in particular these threads) have persuaded me to give a chance. It is amazing to me how easily one can get past the sonics and just get into the music. Very surprising to me. The 9th was recorded 22 years to the day before I was born. The performance is visceral.

18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Try Bruno Walter's last recordings of these masterworks as well. I find the technical execution of the orchestra superior and the sound quality vastly superior.

19. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Shame they got the key of the 9th wrong though...

20. George P

So true.

I have yet to get anything on the Dutton label. Can folks tell me what is their philiosophy with regards to historical transfers? Do they like to use a lot of noise reduction like EMI, very little like Seth Winner or something in between like Ward Marston/Mark Obert Thorn?

21. George P

Just watched and listed to Op. 110 from this set. A poetic and sensitive performance from Daniel Barenboim in this, his third complete set of the sonatas.

Attached Files:

22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I don't remember what exact processes Dutton uses for restoring these old recordings (I am moving to Connecticut by the end of this week so all my stuff is in boxes right now) but all CDs that I have from Dutton, I must have around ten, are among the best that I 've heard from any historical label.

23. George P

Good to know, thanks! And best of luck with the move. How close will you be to PREX? Within driving distance?

24. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I only have two Dutton reissues, one classical (Decca) and one popular (Capitol). I liked the sound of the classical, but I have reservations about the popular reissue. Not enough samples for me to know for sure, so I remain skeptical.

25. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

i love those performances. the 9th in particular i'll go through periods where i listen to it several times in a row. the das lied is also great, but i usually tend to put on one of the performances with ferrier. dutton is great with their historical releases!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.