Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #29)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Currently listening to Rubinstein playing Chopin Mazurkas.

Next is the disc pictured. Despite the cover, the Faure is by Andrew Davis and the New Philharmonia Orchestra. I first discovered the Pelleas at the ballet, as Balanchine uses it in Emeralds (I own a DVD of this work). A few weeks ago I heard it on the radio, and was taken by how well it stood up on its own.

Attached Files:

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Which set? He recorded them three times. I like the two mono sets.

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD2 from the following twofer for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

4. coopmv

Now playing the following SACD, which arrived a few weeks ago for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

5. coopmv

This is a superb recording IMO ... :righton:

6. Apologies John. I didn't title that correctly.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=309675

Brahms: Violin Concerto, Symphony No 4
    Release Date: 06/20/1995
    Label: Emi Seraphim Catalog #: 68526 Spars Code: ADD
    Composer: Johannes Brahms
    Performer: Yehudi Menuhin
    Conductor: Rudolf Kempe, Rafael Kubelik, Carlo Maria Giulini
    Orchestra/Ensemble: Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, New Philharmonia Orchestra, Philharmonia Orchestra

Number of Discs: 2
    Recorded in: Stereo
    Length: 2 Hours 4 Mins.

This might have been some sort of budget release. The CD booklet folds out into 3 pages and it's all small pics of the other CD releases in this series. On one of the backs of the 3 pages is a very small essay about Brahms. One of the other back pages has the liner notes.

[​IMG]

It is and was my first SACD player. I purchased the Sony SCD CE775 from another forum member about 8 years ago.

Unfortunately now, besides CDs, it only plays single layer SACDs. Any hybrid discs I put in, the player only recognizes the redbook layer for some reason. No issue there as I have 3 other digital players that can play SACD discs.

7. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

This was the stereo cycle. I like it, but have nothing to compare it with. It's my only set of the Mazurkas.

8. George P

Ah, I see. It took me a long time to warm to the Mazurkas, but now I love them. I especially enjoy Rosenthal, Friedman and Luisadas (the earlier set on DG) Mazurkas.

9. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

i've got several archipel including the last one with the brahms. i don't know if i have anything particular to say about the label but they do seem one that has sourced some of the rarest/most unusual performances. i should add that it's somewhat common knowledge that the performance of the brahms p.c. is not conducted by barbirolli and it's actually a different date, so caveat emptor!

10. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Currently listening to

J.S. Bach
    "Drei Sonaten und Drei Partiten für Violine solo, BWV 1001-1006"
    Sigiswald Kuijken

I have the original DMM mastered Deutsche Harmonia Mundi vinyl box set from the early 80s.

This is a fantastic set. It's available on CDs, but they don't come close to sounding as good.

11. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Oooooh, nice!! :thumbsup: I've been looking for this set on LP for a long time. I have Kuijken's 2009 set on shoulder cello, which I actually like a lot. Different. I see you're from STL, do you go to Powell Hall often?

12. Josquin des Prez

I acquired this set when I worked as a buyer in the 80s. I was able to import 6 copies before it became too scarce. I got one, my boss got one, and 4 lucky people got the others.

I'll add that my copy is like mint. No ticks or pops at all on any of the 3 LPs. It's one of the gems in my collection. :righton:

13. coopmv

Now playing the following CD for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

14. George P

[​IMG]

Now playing the Rach 3 from the above Andante Set, the pianist's first (and definitely most tame) recording of this work. This one is like Horowitz on his meds, the Barbirolli off his meds. I prefer the latter. Apparently so did the pianist.

15. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Cool!! Where were you a buyer? In STL? Streetside, Vintage?? I grew up in Des Peres.

16. Josquin des Prez

Music Systems, Ltd. It was down at Shenandoah and Compton, in the city. Here's my story about that.

17. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, a recent arrival for a first listen. Don't really know anything about Gurzenich Orchestra der Stadt Koln ...

[​IMG]

18. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

When it comes to John Field.....nobody plays his work like John O'Conor!

You need to get this one....AMAZING!!

[​IMG]

19. coopmv

The Nocturnes by John Field were supposed to have inspired Chopin to compose his own Nocturnes. I need to check Field's Nocturnes out for sure ...

20. Graphyfotoz

21. coopmv

Now playing CD3, the last CD - works by Orlando Gibbons from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Jim, What do you think of this set?

22. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

23. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I wouldn't mind hearing some of Norrington's Mahler 2. Can't be worse than Rattle/CBSO!!

24. George P

I've only heard it a few times, but I like Rattle's 2nd.

25. Graphyfotoz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.