Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #29)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

No, it's been on my list for a couple years, waiting for one to pop up at Amoeba for cheap. Like everything else, eventually it will come. Finally came upon Kovacevich's Beethoven Sonatas cycle for $25 minty last month, been seeking that for about the same amount of time.

Have you heard this? I was pleasantly surprised. Hough takes all repeats and yet my interest and attention never flagged in 43 minutes and 37 seconds. That's not usually the case with Schubert's late Piano Sonatas, which can meander and become unwieldy in lesser hands. I must have 7 or 8 Hough discs now, having picked them up for peanuts over the last few years, including Concertos sets by Rachmaninoff (SACD), Tchaikovsky, and Saint-Saens (Gramophone Recording of the Year 1996).

Now playing:
    • Schubert: Piano Sonatas, B-flat major, D. 960 • A minor, D. 784 • C major, D 613 (unfinished) - Steven Hough [Hyperion 1999, Recorded in St. George's, Brandon Hill, Bristol, on 1 October 1997 (D. 784) and 4, 5 October 1998 (D. 960, D. 613), Recording engineers: Mike Hatch (D. 784) and Mike Clements (D. 960 and D. 613), Recording producer: Andrew Keener, Hough plays a Steinway and wrote the liner notes]

Attached Files:

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I haven't. I got his Rachmaninoff piano concertos and was very disappointed, so I haven't picked up more Hough.

3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Spotify has the live set (or at least some of it).

4. George P

Thanks!

I had to re-install Windows recently and lost all my Spotify stuff. When I went back to try and use the links sent via email it said I needed a Facebook asccount to join. :realmad:

5. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

George, I love your new avatar. :righton:

6. George P

Thanks! :wave:

7. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I set up a Facebook account years ago in order to explore it. I decided I wasn't interested, but instead of cancelling (which I gather is not so simple) I simple turned off or privatized every feature.

8. George P

Good idea!

This arrived today:

[​IMG]

Claudio Arrau – First release
    CD 1 Beethoven: Piano Sonatas op. 106 “Hammerklavier” | op. 13 “Pathétique”
    CD 2 Beethoven: Piano Sonatas op. 27 no. 2 “Moonlight” | op. 57 “Appassionata” | op. 81a “Les Adieux” Chopin: Fantaisie op. 49

Alicia de Larrocha – First release on CD
    CD 3 Turina: Danzas fantásticas | Preludios op. 80 | Recuerdos de la antigua España | Partita op. 57
    Granados: Escenas románticas
    CD 4 Granados: Goyescas | El pelele Mompou: Impresiones íntimas

Raymond Lewenthal – First release on CD
    CD 5 Scriabin: 24 Préludes op. 11 | 5 Préludes op. 74 | Fantasia op. 28 | Vers la flamme
    Encores by Saint-Saëns/Godowsky | Mendelssohn/Liszt | Rachmaninov/Lewenthal
    CD 6 Toccatas by Schumann | Alkan | Czerny | Della Ciaia | J. S. Bach | Prokofiev | Debussy | Ravel
    Zhelobinsky | Lewenthal | Menotti Encores by Rubinstein | Massenet | Schubert/Liszt | Debussy | Liszt

Benno Moiseiwitsch – First release on CD
    CD 7 Schumann: Carnaval | Kreisleriana | Kinderszenen | Arabeske
    CD 8 Mussorgsky/Moiseiwitsch: Pictures at an Exhibition Beethoven: Piano Sonatas op. 27 no. 2 “Moonlight” | op. 81a “Les Adieux” | Andante favori Schumann: Vogel als Prophet | Romance op. 28 no. 2

Egon Petri – First release on CD
    CD 9 Liszt: Paraphrases and Transcriptions from Mendelssohn | Gounod | Beethoven Liszt/Busoni: Mephisto Waltz no. 1 | “Figaro” Fantasy Busoni: Fantasia contrappuntistica
    CD 10 Busoni | Petri: Transcriptions from Bach & Buxtehude

PACKAGING
    The capbox cover is based on one of the original Westminster LP covers, and the 32-page colour booklet replicates several of the original LP covers
    Deutsche Grammophon 10cds 4779527

9. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Spinning

[​IMG]

For his 139th birth anniversary :)

10. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

First CD release?! Hmph! Ah well. Thanks for the heads up. Is it only available in the set?

Sweet. :)

11. George P

12. George P

[​IMG]

Now playing Shostakovich's 2nd piano trio from the above CD.

13. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

It's in this 2008 30CD EMI box as well, IINM. Was one of my $7 steals during last year's importcds.com 'accidental' sale, everlasting thx to drh!!

[​IMG]

14. George P

So DG lied, eh?

15. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I misread his post. :magoo:

16. George P

Oh, OK. :righton:

17. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

$7 for 30 CDs - did I just read that right??

18. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Yes, I bought like 40-something EMI boxes, including the Karajan megaboxes, for less than $600 last year. Forum member drh pointed out a pricing anomaly on the Jacqueline du Pre box at importcds.com, so I ran a search on all EMI boxes and sure enough it was a major accident that affected nearly all multi-disc EMI classical product. Did not hesitate, the error was corrected within a few days, but not before two big orders were placed (pic of first shipment below).

Attached Files:

19. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Wow. :nauga:

20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

nice.the days when i could spend hundreds of dollars on an order are long
    gone,but it sure was fun-not that i ever got that sweet a deal!

21. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

two more from the tape bag.the Telemann originated on the Seon label.
    the ballet music by Delibes & Gounod conducted by Roberto Benzi is on
    Philips from 1964.did i really pay $2.99 back in 1994?

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      61.8 KB
      Views:
  22. drh

drh Talking Machine

You're very welcome--glad to have been an agent for, er, good in the community. :angel: I didn't buy as many sets as you did; in the end, everything that I ordered came through except the Cziffra box. No crying here, though, as I got a bunch, and only within the last month or six weeks did I finally finish copying all of them to hard drive. "Inspired" by that experience, since then I've finally broken down and copied a complete box of Reger chamber music and a collection of historical R. Strauss that had awaited my attention for a long, long time.

23. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I left out a critical fact: it just happened that the week drh publicized the 'accidental sale' I sold a rare 45 RPM 7" single on eBay for $475+. I bought it in 1993 for $3. So....you do the math, haha. :cool:

Attached Files:

24. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

i don't have the heart to do the math....envy,envy,envy.but then again you had to let something go....

25. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

it wasn't nothin', i hadn't listened to it in about 15 years. I never would have gone on such a splurge if I hadn't had that Monopoly money to play with. Already sold some of the sets on Amazon, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.