Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #29)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The early and middle quartet sets are great, but the ABQ's studio recordings of the late quartets are a bit of a let-down. I recall that the studio recordings of the early quartets are my favorite recordings of those works. The live recordings struck me as a little over-torqued in comparison. Managed to catch both the Alban Berg and the Lindsay quartets at Herbst theater in the same season. The Bergs may have had better technical address but the Lindsay Quartet sounded like they had more to say, a greater degree of emotional involvement in the music.

2. rudiger

rudiger Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how sounds the CD version (Sefel Records) of the 6 Bach Suites for Unaccompanied Cello (Janos Starker)? Thanks

3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I see that HDTracks is starting to release 88/24 versions of the Mercury Living Presence titles (including the Rachmaninov/Janis concerto disc) .

Has anyone checked these out?

4. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

44/16 is more than enough for me.

5. George P

Now playing:

[​IMG]

Benno Moiseiwitsch – First release on CD
    Schumann: Carnaval and Arabeske

Recorded just two years before his death (the pianist was 71), Moiseiwitsch sounds very much alive and as always, poetic, here. Nice stereo sound too.

6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD, which just arrived from an Amazon US MP vendor for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

7. coopmv

A new order for this evening on the following CD's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A good mix of early and baroque music ... :)

8. coopmv

Is anyone familiar with this set? To me, Gould is primarily a Bach pianist. Is this an oversimplication?

[​IMG]

9. George P

No, but his Brahms is superb.

Haven't heard a lot of his Beethoven. What I have heard is very interesting, but not essential IMO. The Bagatelles are great though, and can be bought separately.

10. coopmv

I imagine all the CD's in this Beethoven set are probably included in this Gould Collection box, which I bought a few years ago but is probably OOP ...

[​IMG]

11. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

No. Do they actually relate anything of value about the mastering?

Having "heard what's missing," so to speak, I would really rather have been stuck with a higher spec.

Even after 28 years at a max of 16/44.1, neither my I$P nor the content provider$ seem to want that to happen, however.

Very kind of you to check, thank you. :)

12. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

alwyn_autumn_cover.jpg

Listening to this release. William Alwyn - Autumn Legend; Pastoral Fantasia; Tragic Interlude; Lyra Angelica. Cond. Hickox. While many might characterize much of his music in the idiom as rather sleepy, it's hitting the right, very mellow notes with me right now. Lyra Angelica is the most notable work here (and arguably of his classical output), but the Autumn Legend has a certain piquancy and the Pastoral Fantasia is nothing if not as its title implies. Quite well orchestrated, performed and recorded.

13. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Stuart, you should definitely check out Gould's Byrd and Gibbons musick in the Big Box. It is as good as anything he did, IMHO.

14. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

i have a bunch of these MHS tapes,as well as quite a few MHS LPs.
    i read that Maerzendorfer was the first to record all the Haydn symphonies,
    doing it before Dorati.i'm not sure of the original label;i see it listed as
    Orpheus,but that seems to have been linked to MHS & i don't know if they
    comissioned original recordings.
    the Boyce "Symphonies" were a CRD label release in 1979.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      62.6 KB
      Views:
  15. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Nice! I had collected all his late Philips recordings and had the chance to attend one concert he gave 10 years ago in Athens. If you have not done already, his latest recordings for the label Alpha are very interesting.

16. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Now playing:
    • Rózsa: Concerto for Violin and Orchestra, Op. 24 - Mathew Trusler; Yasuo Shinozaki / Düsseldorf Symphony Orchestra [Orchid Classics 2009, Recorded in June 2008 at Düsseldorf Tonhalle, Producer: Jeremy Hayes, Recording engineer, editing & mastering: Patrick Allen — why isn't this VC better-known and more frequently played? — it's a fantastic piece and this is a superb performance and recording]

Attached Files:

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Absolutely.

Glenn Gould's Beethoven is definitely a hit and miss affair. I'd place his op. 10 sonata set near the top and as George pointed out, his performances of the op. 33 and 126 Bagatelles are superb. However, if he hates the "Appassionata" so much, then why did he have to record it?

18. john greenwood

A favorite of mine is his clavichord recital on Philips. It's OOP, but there's one at Amazon Marketplace and Arkiv offers it.

19. john greenwood

20. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

A gem of a disc. :righton:

21. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

He also plays Hindemith. Not sure how many on this forum are familiar with or like his music, but Gould's performance of the three piano sonatas are surprisingly compelling.

Most would agree that Gould is pretty hit-and-miss, probably deliberately so in his own perverse way , and what little I've heard his Mozart is awful, and if these are anything to go by (notice just how poetic Andras Schiff's playing is in the opening overture compared to Gould's mechanical and mannered style) I'd be happy just to stick with his Goldberg Variations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nluYZFaaiA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBWfqySHwN0

22. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, which arrived yesterday for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

23. George P

:goodie: Look what I found today:

Attached Files:

24. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Well, you don't have to buy it (heh-heh).

25. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Congrats. You are lucky.:cool:

When was this version issued?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.