Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

I am trying to get into this mode. I need a method of culling though. However, I sure don't want to regret selling something and then have to re-buy it for twice the price I paid.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

George, You hit it right on the nail. I have seen a number of CD's I paid $12.99 at J&R years ago going for over $100 on Amazon simply because they are OOP.

3. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Send me a list of all your CDs. I can decide which ones you don't need, and then dispose of them for you.

Seriously, though, I cut too closely and have regretted it. But that wasn't because I was in cull mode. Rather, I bought into the idea that since so many of my CDs were poorly recorded, I should get rid of them. Audiophilia is one of the worst things that ever happened to me.

4. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

Currently playing the First Symphony, though I'll be listening to it all today. Weighty music and I'm in that sort of a mood.

[​IMG]

For Christmas music, I have the problem that my partner does not like classical music. So I can only listen to Bach's Christmas Oratorio alone. While putting up our tree yesterday, we did listen to John Fahey's Christmas album, which works...

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

No doubt :(

It's a fun journey though, it spices up life :shh:

6. coopmv

Is this a recent reissue? I have never seen this CD cover before ...

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Me neither. Though I will never part with my 4 Brahms symphonies (on three CDs) by Karajan from the sixties. :righton:

8. coopmv

My classical music collection has proven to be an excellent musical (self) therapy. Whenever I am down and alone, listening to some of my favorite classical music always cheers me up. There are few other types of music that can do this.

9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Absolutely, listening to classical makes my day better, especially in the morning before I go to work.

You 're right, there are only a few other types of music that can provide such positive inspiration, jazz comes to mind.

10. coopmv

Just listened to the Clarinet Quintet last night. I heard enough classical works where the violins were the dominant instruments but this was the first work where the clarinet played such role.

11. Dr Faustus

I had the older version of this, but one of the CDs broke. I picked this up from Amazon a month or so ago. Thought it was the British version of this, but I just saw that it was released in September '08. Sounds the same to as the older version to me. Brilliant Brahms, IMHO.

12. coopmv

I have the Brahms Complete Symphonies by HvK/BPO on an LP-set and on a 2-CD set. So this is just a repackaging of the same recording.

13. George P

George P Notable Member

Didn't he record them at least twice?

14. coopmv

George, He probably did. The book Herbert von Karajan: A Life in Music, which I have, probably chronicles his career recording outputs. If you are a big fan of Karajan, you probably want to pick up a copy. Looks like price has gone up, as my copy only cost me a little over $30 last year.

http://www.amazon.com/Herbert-von-Karajan-Life-Music/dp/1555534252

15. john greenwood

john greenwood Well-Known Member

If you enjoyed it, try the Mozart Clarinet Quintet (K. 581). It uses the limpid sound of the clarinet within a work of sublime serenity that was often a hallmark of Mozart's final year.

I've worked on the clarinet part (as a student), and I must say it was a moment of exhilaration when all of a sudden my halting phrases took sufficient shape for me to recognize the notes I was playing as the work of art I had enjoyed listening to for so many years.

(I haven't tackled the Brahms Quintet yet, but I have worked on his two Clarinet Sonatas.)

16. Dr Faustus

Not sure - the original set I had was on 3 CDs not 2. Don't have the sets to hand right now, but I'll check when I get a chance. This set also has some other music on it - the Tragic Overture and Variations on a Theme by Haydn.

17. coopmv

I am finally done with listening to this set. I really enjoyed the sextets the most, probably because it is more full-bodied, i.e. that extra instrument adds more dimension to the sound. While I enjoy solo piano works and JS Bach organ works, chamber music has always sounded "thin" to me. But then, I am a real novice for this segment of classical music.

18. john greenwood

If you liked the sextets, you might want to try the following as well:

Mendelssohn Octet for Strings (pure joy)
    Beethoven Septet Op. 20 for strings and winds
    Schubert Octet for strings and winds (one of his greatest masterpieces - modelled on the Beethoven Septet, but in this case surpassing Ludwig)

19. coopmv

I have this CD

http://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Octe...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1228776777&sr=1-4

If you have the CD, what is your thought?

20. coopmv

Now playing: JS Bach Preludium und Fuge BWV 544-551 Disc 3
    Helmut Walcha

Attached Files:

21. john greenwood

22. coopmv

Just ordered these 2 CD's to continue my push into medieval music ...

Attached Files:

23. coopmv

24. Earlier this morning.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

25. coopmv

Jean-Francois Paillard? I have quite a few of his recordings on LP but have never seen any of his CD until now ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.