Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Way Down Now

2. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Thanks for the link George!

I received the Complete Beethoven Brilliant set for Christmas, and will start with the Gulda run of the sonatas. I will listen to them chronologically and follow your Yahoo discussion. I only have one other cycle, the Kempff (stereo) so it will be nice to have a different set.

3. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Beethoven
    Piano Sonatas Op. 2 Nos. 1-3
    Friedrich Gulda
    Brilliant 93525/45

4. George P

George P Way Down Now

:edthumbs:

5. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

What should I listen for on this "run" George that differentiates them from others?

6. George P

George P Way Down Now

I should expect that the first movement will tip you off on that. This shouldn't be a subtle difference. Compared to Kempff, more masculine, more lean, more quick presentation of the material. This is a younger Beethoven, one with less time to smell the roses, one with the skills to play in a manner that makes it sound easy.

What have you heard so far?

7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Georgia Tech has always been the MIT of the south. I am of the opinion that physicists or mathematicians are more mentally tuned for classical music than most engineers. The world-renown Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences at NYU actually had a chamber music group made up of faculty members and graduate students ...

8. coopmv

Here's what Qualiton has to offer ...

http://www.qualiton.com/mm5/merchan...&Product_Code=HUNGAROTON+41003&Category_Code=

9. George P

George P Way Down Now

10. coopmv

That is the approach I have taken so far. My Bach Cantatas are split between LP's and CD's and among the following conductors: Nicholaus Harnoncourt, Raymond Leppard and Karl Richter (mainly on LP's), John Eliot Gardiner and Helmut Rilling (all CD's). Karl Munchinger is represented on both LP and CD. My 8 versions of St Matthew Passion were split between these conductors plus HvK and Otto Klemperer. To be honest, it is far easier to assemble the complete cantatas by one conductor. So my New Year resolution is to obtain the Harnoncourt Complete Cantatas ...

11. coopmv

I did see the ImportCD price and it was the best of the lot. I have bought many CD's from ImportCD, as I just bypass Amazon most of the time. ImportCD generally has much better prices than Amazon ...

12. coopmv

This 2 CD-set just arrived today.

Attached Files:

13. coopmv

Bill, BTW, for Bach's signature cantatas such as Nos. 80, 140 and 147, I do have multiple versions. In fact, I tend to get as many likeable versions as I can get ... Raymond Leppard and Karl Munchinger both offered delightful versions of these works, albeit in modern instruments. But with Soprano like Elly Ameling, you cannot lose ...

14. coopmv

It was probably grabbed by another aficionado of Beethoven Piano Sonatas ...

15. coopmv

This set is on my shopping list as well.

16. drh

drh Talking Machine

Thanks to all for tipping me off to the existence of MDT--at least, I *think* thanks are the appropriate sentiment! ;) I just placed my first order: the complete Mozart piano sonatas performed by Gitti Pirner. Thought I'd missed that one for good when I waited too long to buy from an Amazon marketplace seller....

17. coopmv

Now playing:

Attached Files:

18. George P

George P Way Down Now

My pleasure. MDT is GREAT! :righton:

19. coopmv

MDT has the best price for the 60-CD set Harnoncourt/Leonhardt Complete Bach Cantatas ...

20. coopmv

21. George P

George P Way Down Now

22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

This is what I played last night....

A 1957 RCA record of Boston Pops-Arthur Fiedler with some rather obscure (for me at least) works:

Rossini/Respighi-La Boutique Fantasque
    This is a ballet. Respighi orchestrated some Rossini tunes for piano for Diaghilev's company in 1919. Very playful and almost funny at times. Excellent orchestration.

Ibert-Divertissement
    One of the first works by Ibert, won the Prix de Rome of the Paris Conservatory also in 1919.

Walter Piston-The Incredible Flautist
    This is another ballet written in 1938. It's nothing extraordinary but interesting nonetheless.

The record has been reissued on cd by Naxos. More info here:
    http://www.classicsonline.com/catalogue/product.aspx?pid=641681

23. George P

George P Way Down Now

A very good friend of mine has a new blog that will start up on January first. He lists some great resources here: http://aneverymanforhimself.wordpress.com/ and will publish reviews regularly on his blog. I think this will be a superb project and I have bookmarked this blog for future reference. I have invited him to join us on this thread as well.

24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

It looks promising. Already bookmarked and waiting for the review of Elgar's cello concerto.

25. coopmv

Nice. I have a bunch of vintage RCA Red Seal LP's by conductors such as William Steinberg, Charles Munch and Paul Paray I have not played in years. A few years ago, my wife's mother also gave me a big stack of classical LP's, which I filed away and still have not listened to. There is just no time to listen to both CD's and LP's. :sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.