Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Way Down Now

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I will just wait for my order with Amazon to be filled in January or February. Just like Jay, I cannot bring myself to give more business to ArkivMusic ...

3. coopmv

I just checked on my computer, I have this CD. It should be a good recording as I have yet to encounter a bad recording by the Cologne Chamber Orchestra. Interestingly enough, I actually have some recordings by this group on LP as well, though the label was not Naxos ...

4. coopmv

We are less than 100 posts away from part four ... :righton:

5. George P

George P Way Down Now

They are at the bottom of my list for other reasons (high prices.) I can wait for that set, too.

6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have this one too and yes this is a fine recording.

Naxos was and still is my favorite budget label.

Stuart,
    what software are you using for archiving? I have Music Collector by the way, but I was wondering if there is anything else out there.

7. coopmv

This is one of my two other gripes besides the CDR offering to the uninitiated, which I think is a con job, as Jay would no doubt agree. Indeed, high prices and sale tax really turn me off.

8. coopmv

Nothing special, just an Excel spreadsheet listing the essential data and the catalog number for each CD (my thousands of LP's are totally uncataloged :sigh:). The catalog number is probably the most important piece of data for classical recordings since the same work is recorded by many different groups and often by the same group a number of times. An example is HvK and the BPO ... I just search by catalog number.

How is Music Collector?

9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Music Collector is very good.

You can add albums either manually or automatically. The automatic input searches Amazon (us and uk) and the nice thing is that you can search by barcode to be always sure that this is the recording that you look for.

There is still some stuff that amazon does not carry but for most it works fine. Otherwise the manual input has an amazing range of options from track listing to personal details such as how much did you spend on each cd etc.

I would definitely recommend it for everyone with a vast collection of cds and records.

10. coopmv

Now playing: Bach: St. John Passion/Wachet Auf, Ruft Uns Die Stimme Disc 2

Bill, This CD-set by Eugene Jochum and the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra and the Netherlands Radio Chorus is surprising good and is inexpensive. While it is no period instrument performance, the singing is great and the spirit of the passion is fully conveyed by the fine orchestral playing ...

Attached Files:

11. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Speaking of cataloging classical music I found some useful sources on line:

Famous Artists' Discographies on Net

This is a great list that contains links to sites dedicated to various great classical performers, which also include their discographies.
    This is an incredible source, check it out.

DGG(Deutsche Grammophon Gesellschaft)

This is about DG. Just look at those covers!!!

And this is the home page of the web site that contains the above sources.

http://fischer.hosting.paran.com/music/musicsmain-e.htm

I don't know thw person who made all these but BRAVO :thumbsup::thumbsup:

12. Jay F

Jay F New Member

These will be nice. Thanks to you both.

13. coopmv

Attached Files:

14. coopmv

As a side note, I saw someone auctioning a Beethoven symphonies cycle autographed by HvK on eBay a while ago. He asked for hundreds of dollars for the set ...

15. coopmv

86 more posts to go before part four ... :righton:

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

This is definitely a nice collector's item but as much as I admire Karajan I am not one of those who would spend a three digit figure for an autographed copy of his Beethoven cycle.

Now if it was Wagner....:sigh:

17. coopmv

I am sure an autographed LP by Sibelius could be worth a lot more ...

18. coopmv

Jay, This may be the CDR cover provided by ArkivMusic ... I found this on Amazon website. It looks pretty crappy to say the least.

Attached Files:

19. George P

George P Way Down Now

Looks like they got a couple of kids in the back room with crayons producing these things. :laugh:

20. George P

George P Way Down Now

I have heard the name before. A quick check of my guide books tells me very little. David Dubal likes her Mozart and says that she plays with polish and taste.

The discussion of symphony one has begun at the Beethoven thread.

21. coopmv

Jay, This may be the proof that the photo might have been posted by ArkivMusic for this OOP CD. ArkivMusic has the #1 listing on this Amazon page ...

Attached Files:

22. coopmv

I will give #1 a listen and post my e-pinion this evening ...

23. Jay F

Jay F New Member

You may be right.

24. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Interesting that Naxos is reissuing that performance. It's also part of one of the Red Seal SACD's

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006PV5VW/?tag=sacdinfocom-20

25. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Bach sacred works

The 'limited edition' box of Bach sacred works by Suzuki arrived today from ArchivMusic. It was issued earlier this month by Bis. Now playing:
    • Bach: St. Matthew Passion BWV 244 - Masaaki Suzuki/Bach Collegium Japan, Gerd Turk (tenor), Peter Kooij (bass), Nancy Argenta (soprano), Robin Blaze (counter-tenor), Makoto Sakurada (tenor), Chiyuki Urano (bass)
      Bis 2000 (reissued 2008).
    This release is a steal at $60. Individual releases of these six works will run over $150 and only one was recorded DSD (Mass in B Minor), so you can't go wrong (although Gramophone didn't sem to favor St. Matthew Passion, below). Box includes full librettos with clean layout, technical credits, annotation. These interpretations are pretty well-regarded -- Suzuki has proved himself an eminent Bachian, IMHO, at least on the few Cantata discs I have heard. And Bis's engineering standards are second-to-none, of course. Recordings date between 1999 and 2006.

From Gramophone, March 2000:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.