Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay F

Jay F New Member

With which ITA.

2. Listening to...

Philadelphia Orchestra/Eugene Ormandy - Those Fabulous Philadelphians
    CBS Records - U.K. - 1970 - "one eye"
    -A1 / -B1

[​IMG]

1. What is the Philadelphia Orchestra? Symphony or Philharmonic?
    2. Why the regular CBS label? Did Columbia not use the Masterworks label in the U.K.?

3. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Smetana

Now playing:
    • Smetana: Ma Vlast - Vaclav Talich/Czech Philharmonic Orchestra
      Biddulph 1997, the complete 1941 HMV recording, transfers by Ward Marston. Magnifique!!

4. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Schubert

One more before retiring:
    • Schubert: Piano Sonata D960 + Allegretto in C Minor D915 + Three Piano Pieces D946 - Maurizio Pollini
      Orig. DG aluminum-to-center 'Made in USA' 1987 edition, this may be the finest performance I've heard of Schubert's last and greatest (IMO) sonata, the B-flat major. Anyone heard it? George?

5. George P

George P Notable Member

I haven't heard it, sorry. I like Pollini's performances of 20th Century works and some of his Beethoven.

6. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Composer: Brahms
    Work: Symphony No. 4
    Performer: Fritz Reiner, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
    Medium and Label: CD, Chesky
    Date of performance: 1961

I'll be listening to this and the 1963 Karajan recording on DG over the next few days to see which I like best (from both a performance and SQ point of view).

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

This will be an interesting comparison look forward to your post

Simon :)

8. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Thomas Tallis
    Spem in Alium
    Oxford Camerata/Jeremy Summerly
    Naxos 8.557770

Good morning.

George,
    The Eagle Beatles have landed. Thanks much, buddy! :righton:

9. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

My first observation is that this sounds quite different to the Reiner recordings with the Chicago Symphony I have on Living Stereo SACD-Hybrid. They sound closer miked - this one with the Royal Philharmonic has a more distant, although perhaps more cohesive feel to it. Chesky's remastering of these old tapes is certainly top notch.

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Thanks Russell :righton:

Simon :)

11. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

12. George P

George P Notable Member

For me, the Schubert sonatas are profound in the hands of Richter. I have every recording he made of the Schubert sonatas and they are all wonderful.

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Well, that's sayin' somethin'.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Indeed. Collecting his Schubert was a challenge. The sonatas are spread out over many different discs, some of which are very hard to find. I wish he had recorded all of the sonatas. He has a policy of not recording/performing works that either he doesn't like or feels another pianist has played incredibly.

15. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Here 's what I played the last couple of days:

Beethoven - Piano Concerto No. 5 - Claudio Arrau--The Philharmonia Orchestra/Alceo Galliera (Columbia LP 1959)

This is a great performance worth seeking by those who like Beethoven and piano. It should be available on CD but I was lazy to search.:D
    The producer is the great Walter Legger and the sound is good.

Here is what Robert C. Marsh wrote in High Fidelity magazine in 1961:

"This performance finds Arrau in excellent form and more than able to prove himself among the finest pianists of the day. Galliera, as in the earliest discs in this series, proves an accompanist well suited in both musicianship and temperament to support the big, solid performances Arrau contributes to their collaboration. Some of Arrau's passage work here has an authority and substance only an exceptional artist can provide."

Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No 1 - Sir Clifford Curzon--The Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra/Sir Georg Solti.(London LP 1958)

This performance is available on CD in the box set Original Masters - Clifford Curzon Vol 3

I cannot say that I am overly excited about this. It is not a bad performance by any means, but I guess it would be more appreciated by the fans of Curzon's style, which is not always to my taste.

Great conducting by Solti by the way and very good sound.

16. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Scherchen on Westminster CD

Not entirely sure what to make of this one (just bought it yesterday), except that it's a highly unusual interpretation of Handel's Water Music and three baroque trumpet concerti.

I posted two WAV samples and some additional comments here.

17. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

18. coopmv

Lazar Berman refused to record any works of Chopin after he thought he had unfairly lost in the International Chopin Competitions held in Warsaw according to one biography I read ...

19. coopmv

This just arrived in mail today and will play it some time this weekend ...

Attached Files:

20. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I am not familiar with this, but Scherchen is a very interesting conductor. I know him for his Bach and his great contributions in performing modern music, such as various Xenakis works.

Did you guys know this?

"Another notable achievement is his 1958 recording of Beethoven's Eroica symphony for the Westminster label (subsequently reissued on compact disc), containing what is still (as of 2006) the fastest first movement ever recorded and the closest to Beethoven's own, problematic, metronome mark."

Quote from wikipedia.

21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Stuart, let us know how it sounds, I am interesting in getting this.

22. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Wasn't aware of that, but sounds like I should grab a hat so I'll have something to hold onto. I like the 3rd a bit on the quick side, so I'll bet Scherchen's is a hoot, at least on first listen.

23. coopmv

This Bach Organ Works set by Helmut Walcha, the stereo version also arrived today. I have yet to finish listening to the monaural set that arrived last week.

Attached Files:

24. coopmv

This too arrived today. Richter conducting Bach St John Passion ...

Attached Files:

25. coopmv

Absolutely. From what I have read, the performance should be similar to the 1963 LvB Symphony No. 9 ... the best of all HvK's Beethoven 9th.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.