Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

George, Do you have a set to recommend?

2. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Well Stuart, looks like you are gonna have to pull an all nighter.:D

3. coopmv

Nothing beats a Bach listening marathon at this time of the year ... :D

4. coopmv

Bill, Besides picking up a Christmas tree with my wife tomorrow, I will be spending most of my day listening to these new CD's. I also look forward to watch this Bach Brandenburg Concertos DVD, performed by the Freiburger Barockorchester at the Cothen Palace, where Bach once served as Kappellmeister to the court. I enjoy watching these concerts on DVD ...

Attached Files:

5. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Certain Beatles albums are Christmas listening for me, since so many came out in December. I composed a couple of playlists today, but I didn't listen for very long. No matter what I do, I can't change the fact that I just don't love the Beatles that way anymore.

6. coopmv

Jay, You ain't alone. In the early to mid 70's while in high school and undergrad, I used to be a Beatles fanatic. But since I got on the classical bandwagon in the late 70's, classical has been it for me ...

7. George P

George P Notable Member

8. coopmv

I thought it was a pretty nice set. But it was a while back that I last played the set.

9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I was looking at the classical section of yourmusic and I found these two SACD.

Has anyone heard them?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. George P

George P Notable Member

Not very many people really play this music superbly, IMO. I had a teacher in college that said "no one" knew how to play Schubert well. I listened to many pianists play Schubert's sonatas and for a time I thought that I just didn't like his music.

They were not recorded as widely as the Beethoven ones. Honestly, I absolutely think it's worth it to track down the Richter performances. Many are on the Regis label for cheap money. I think 4 are on that Brilliant Classics box that I incessantly recommend. The new Master series on Decca has three sonatas I believe.

Other than that, Lupu might be a good choice. I love his Impromptus so his sonatas might be great. I have heard Kempff and it wasn't my cup of tea. Klein on Vox is a decent, solid choice, but not "special." Brendel I feel the same about, reliable, well played but not the summit. Same with Jando on the Naxos label.

For historical, many love Schnabel, but what I have heard didn't grab me. Too fast and not played with care. Even Serkin, one of my favorite pianists isn't well suited for these sonatas.

11. George P

George P Notable Member

To me, when Schubert is played with a depth of feeling and an almost existential quality, it touches one's heart in a way that lasts forever. So many pianists I have heard prior to and after Richter make me "enjoy" the music, but it hasn't enriched my life like Richter's performance.

12. coopmv

An accident just happened about an hour ago when I was playing the Bach Organ Works Disc 5 by Helmut Walcha in my study/computer room. While attempting to lower the volume via the remote, not sure what I did but all of a sudden I heard a loud blast through one of the two bookshelf speakers and I smelled something burning. Now one of the speakers has a muffled sound and plays at much lower volume than the other. Looks like I may have burned the voice-coil or something like that. What a bummer, just when I was hoping to enjoy my one-week vacation next week? Now I will have to call this speakers company in NC for this repair. The good news is, I still have four other sound systems I can play all my new CD's, though the favorite system is now effectively down to 1-channel ... I have never blown any speakers before. :realmad:

13. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Now playing:
    • Bach: Suites for unaccompanied Cello - Pablo Casals
      Naxos Historical 2000, original HMV recordings 1929-1939, Archivist and Restoration Producer: Ward Marston, 'Not for Sale in USA'.

Up next:
    • Piano Music by Emmanuel Chabrier - Angela Hewitt
      Hyperion SACD 2006.

14. Jay F

Jay F New Member

No, but if you buy them, I will be especially curious to know how you like the sixth.

15. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Eeeeeeeek.

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

From what I read on the internet these two received reasonably good reviews, especially the 6. I should have it by next week.

I am sorry to hear that Stuart. I hope that you can repair them soon. It's good to know though that you have a back up system(s). If something like that would ever happen to me I would be stuck with my ipod.

17. George P

George P Notable Member

Indeed.

Glad to hear you have a few backup systems, Stuart.

18. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Haydn
    Missa Cellensis in honorem BVM 'Cäcilienmesse' Hob. XXII:5
    Performers: Kurt Equiluz (Tenor), Werner Keltsch (Violin), Elisabeth Speiser (Soprano),
    Helen Watts (Alto), Siegmund Nimsgern (Bass Baritone)
    Conductor: Gerhard Wilhelm
    Orchestra/Ensemble: Instrumental Ensemble, Stuttgart Hymnus Boys Choir
    EMI 86519

Good morning.

19. George P

George P Notable Member

Morning, Bill! :wave:

20. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Or even better, having a friend on this thread that sends you Beatles recordings for the Christmas season. Like to give another shout out to my NY connection!

21. George P

George P Notable Member

"All You Need is Friends" [​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Damn skippy!

23. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

See post #197

24. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff