Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #30)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Spinning this morning, Schoenberg's Transfigured Night by Mitropoulos and the NYP. I found this at the sale library sale as the Mahler I posted yesterday. NM Masterworks '6-eye' pressing, very nice production. Not sure when it was recorded, early 50s I suppose.

dan c

Attached Files:

2. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Wow, that's really big news. I hadn't really kept up to date with EMI's woes, but last I read it seemed they were trying to make a go of it with a new chief. I take it that didn't work out.

You're right, we could theoretically get a "Complete Herbert von Karajan Recordings" set at some point now. I wonder what he would have thought of that, having all of his recordings with one company, which was something he was opposed to, I believe, during his lifetime.

3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Sony gets the publishing, Universal gets the recorded material (and I assume the Capitol and Abby Road studios...). RIP, EMI. :sigh:

I'm surprised it went for that much money, actually. Publishing seems where future revenue might be, but who knows. I hope they keep the classical arm going, hope they keep the studios open, but not holding my breath.

dan c

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Unfortunately, when these private equity guys who know nothing about the industry a company is in do the LBO, the outcome is quite predictable. The bozo who bought EMI borrowed money from Citi and he ran EMI into the ground so Citi walked in and re-possessed EMI. This is possible because the existing tax laws encourage these deals ... :sigh:

5. coopmv

HvK extracted the best advantages by playing DG off EMI and vice versa. Just shortly before he passed away in 89, he even tried to get Sony into the fray ...

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I have [or had] that LP as well. Isn't the Tallis Fantasia the flip side? I owned that disc [and the following, off-center, odyssey reissue] for the Vaughn Williams.

7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

8. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Yes indeed. Nice recordings of both.

dan c

9. Rose River Bear

Prices too low to pass up.

10. Rose River Bear

Man thats sweet.:righton:

11. coopmv

Now playing CD4 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Another recent find I've played several times the past few or so weeks. Album of crowd-pleasing Slovaonic Dances by Dvorak, Kubelik conducting.

Love this stuff. It might be classical comfort food but it sure is fun!

Amazing production on this one. Unusually warm and spacious sound for a mid-70s era DG pressing, and they did not skimp on the bass. Vinyl is just about perfect. This is why hunting the used classical bins can be so fun, you just never know what you'll get...and it can be had for mere change! :thumbsup:

dan c

Attached Files:

13. coopmv

Just placed the following 2 small orders with 2 Amazon US MP vendors last evening and this morning ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Steinberg box and Solti's Ring arrived 2 days ago and Presto just dispatched my order this morning. New orders with Presto and MDT will be placed next week.

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I Love the Vaclav Tallich recordings.

15. coopmv

Kubelik always had a special touch with works by Dvorak ... :righton:

16. coopmv

Back to the following box and now playing CD4 - all Bach program with Keith Jarrett on the harpsichord (a scary thought from a jazz pianist?) for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

17. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Welcome to the real world.....sux but happens all the time. :shake:

18. Rose River Bear

The best Slavonic Dances on record IMO. :righton:

19. coopmv

Now playing CD15 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

20. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

It's one of them, I would agree. Harnoncourt's recent digital recording is phenomenal as well (that's maybe my favorite), as is Szell's on Columbia. Others I've heard don't have the same life.

21. coopmv

Now playing CD5 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

22. coopmv

BTW, this is actually a CD of organ works by Mozart, Brahms and Liszt. Kinda unusual since Karl Richter is generally not associated with any composers other than JS Bach ...

23. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

24. coopmv

Jay,

Have you ever attended any concert by Paul Lewis?

25. Jay F

Jay F New Member

No. I don't know if he's ever played in Pittsburgh. I used to look it up all the time after his first Beethoven CD, but he never played here. I stopped looking several years ago, I guess.

He'll be in the USA in April 2012, but not in Pittsburgh or DC, where I'd be most likely to go, although I suppose he could add some dates. http://www.paullewispiano.co.uk/engagements.aspx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.