Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #33)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Later on the Hoffman Forum: The Nine Billion Names of the Beatles—A Mantra

Ah, but what would the Classical Music World be without obsessive/compulsive behavior? For that matter, would record collecting as we know it exist without it?

Attached Files:

2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Not even sure how to post a general announcement.

I'm more and more inclined to divide between vocal and non-vocal, but that will mean recreating the playlists from scratch (which is easier than reorganizing). I should be able to do that over the weekend.

3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I think her meant annouince it in a new thread.

4. drh

drh Talking Machine

:?

5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Keep it real

Errrr. . . right. I'm sure we'll all bump the thread, keep it alive.

6. john greenwood

Will do this weekend.

7. George P

:edthumbs:

8. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

John, is there a way to see the playlist without signing into MOG? The only reason I ask is that we can't sign into MOG down here...

9. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

It stimulates discussion, sometimes. :)

10. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Well...maybe you can start us on a new course. How about voicing your opinions on the best Beethoven Symphony recordings utilizing the Jonathan Del Mar editions? Need to give specifics of course.

Hopefully you get my point. :cheers:

11. John S

John S Forum Resident

Good one RRB!
    Sometimes I offer my often lame and amaturish comments on music, but in truth I would rather not bare my ignorant soul to the world.
    I only do it to maybe make the occasional passers-by's lives more interesting, and to encourage discussion amongst us.

12. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

It would be welcome that those who make these posts follow them up with a review of sorts.

13. George P

It seems strange that our purpose would require restating after 32 threads, but I guess a reminder is in order:

I should add that one of the things that has kept me interested in this long running thread has been the polite, civil exchange of ideas and lack of judgement about other people's opinions or even their posts in general.

By posting what you are listening to, you open the potential to discussion, even if you don't say anything more about the recording in question. for example, people have asked me numerous times about stuff I mentioned and I was happy to elaborate. I don't always have the time or have the interest to write a 3 paragraph about every recording I buy or listen to, but if folks ask about it, I am happy to oblige.

Bottom line, Classical Music Corner is and will remain a safe place to post about what you are listening to, buying, etc. So please feel free to do so whenever you like. Say as much or as little as you desire. You're all welcome here. :wave:

14. George P

Those are the newer interpretations that feature smaller forces and faster tempos, right?

15. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

As in the other non-classical topics I always put a bit of effort in these threads into actually describing a bit the music I listen to or when commenting on others' choice of listening, even if it's just a couple of sentences/single paragraph. Not that I'm suggesting everyone else should do the same of course...:)

16. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I have purchased several titles just on the grounds of seeing posts of this type, after becoming interested and researching the title. One of these is probably my favorite classical release ever (out of maybe 8,000 CDs). I think these posts are perfectly legit, and I appreciate them :)

17. George P

I was going to respond to this earlier, but then edited my post. After thinking a bit about what you said, my response remains the same. Your observation simply isn't true.

Having said that, if there is something I post that you want to know more about, just ask and I will be happy to share as much as I can. I can't speak for the other members, but I have a feeling they will be happy to do the same.

And perhaps more importantly, if you want to see more comments per post, one way to achieve that is to post your impressions of what you're buying or listening to.

18. George P

As do I. :agree:

I hope that no one feels discouraged from doing so in the future.

19. john greenwood

I'm going to post the final (for the moment) version of the playlist. I had to make a couple more changes for non-artistic reasons. I want to fully identify the composer, work and performers (and label?) in this list. I may be able to do that tomorrow. Otherwise this weekend. I have already reorganized the playlist into non-vocal and vocal sections.

20. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

I have also.

21. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

22. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

RCA Victor LM-2186,1958.i can't determine if this was ever issued in stereo,
    or any recording date,or who the producer & engineer were.the matrix codes
    are for 1957,so i could assume it was recorded in that year.on the other hand,my copy has an RE suffix after the LM-2186 catalog number,which i
    believe indicates a reisue,maybe with a different cover than the original.
    does anyone have any information about this very good recording? the RE appears only on the back cover,not the front or on the label.
    excellent sound.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      54.4 KB
      Views:
  23. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Deutsch Grammophon 2530 049.recorded 1/26/70,Symphony Hall,Boston.
    production:Karl Faust.artistic supervision:Rainer Brock.engineer:Gunter Hermanns.well-recorded performances by principals from the BSO,with
    Michael Tilson Thomas on piano.this is a promotion sample copy,which
    unlike a regular DG LP has timings on the label to assist radio play.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      43.3 KB
      Views:
  24. LONG PLAY FAN JUST FINISHED LISTENING TO THESE TWO ** RECORDINGS. I WOULD LOVE TO READ YOUR REVIEW OF THESE TWO OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCES.

QUOTE: Program notes of the January 12, 1928 Carnegie Hall Concert:

Tchaikovsky, Piano Concerto No. 1, Vladimir Horowitz, pianist (first time in America) with Sir Thomas Beecham, (first time in America) Conducting The Philharmonic Society of New York (Steinway offical piano of the PSNY).

QUOTE: Neville Cardus recalls in AUDIO RECORD REVIEW, it was Beecham who said during a later collaboration on the same work, "Mr. Horowitz really, you cannot play like that. It is incredible, not permissible. My orchestra can't live up to it."

**Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 3, Vladimir Horowitz, pianist, Euguene Ormandy Conducting, New York Philharmonic. Recorded Live at Carnegie Hall on January 8, 1978.
    RCA Victor RED SEAL CRL 12633 Stereo.

QUOTE: PHILLIP RAMEY Program notes from the Jan. 8, 1978 recorded concert.

"Rachmaninoff gave the world premiere of his D Minor Concerto on November 28, 1909 with the Symphony Society of New York, conducted by Walter Damrosch. Two months later Rachmaninoff again played the Third Concerto in New York, this time with Gustav Mahler and the New York Philharmonic."

"The Rachmaninoff Third Concerto is one of the most billiant, ambitious, and difficult in the repertory. Unquestionably the finest of his four concertos, the Third is remarkable for structuring, for orchestration, and for materials tat are almost always at a high level and are epertly and convincingly manipulated."

QUOTE: Jack Pfeiffer: "Horowitz - A Golden Jubilee Reflection" (ie. album article)

"Rachmaninoff paid Horowitz the ultimate tribute by making his one and only unscheduled appearance on a stage to embrace him publicly after Horowitz' performance of this concerto in Pasadena, California. Only those who knew Rachmaninoff's reluctance to make public personal expressions can understand the dimensions of this tribute."

**Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 3, Vladimir Horowitz, pianist, Albert Coates Conducting the London Symphony Orchestra (Recorded 1930) Seraphim 60063.
    Album notes written by Deryck Cooke

Personal Notes:

Horowitz was 26 years old when he recorded the Third with Coats. (EMI)
    Horowitz was 74 years old when he recorded the Third with Ormany. (RCA)
    Horowitz was born in Kiev, Ukraine, Russia on October 1, 1904.

Cheers, Long Play Fan

25. David, regarding RCA Victor LM-2186 (1958) in my opinion it certainly was released in "Living Stereo". Remember that RCA Victor was mastering Mono and Stereo versions during the recording session at the same time. Cheers, Long Play Fan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.