Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #33)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I look forward to seeing it, thanks John. :)

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

TGIF!
    :goodie:

Enjoying Piano Sonatas 3 and 4 this morning from this recent acquisition! :wave:

3. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Glad you're enjoying them. :righton:

Which of the sonatas do you like best? The 4th is clearly the finest, although the 3rd isn't far behind, but I also love the first one - mainly for the first movement, quite Chopinesque for 1812.

4. George P

I don't know them well enough to pick a favorite, to be honest. I find that my enjoyment of Weber's stuff really depends upon the interpreter. With Keene, the music is beautiful and in great sound, but I miss the excitement that Richter and Arrau bring to the table.

Now playing (speaking of great interpreters):

[​IMG]

5. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I loved that LP. My intro to Debussy's chamber works.

6. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

I have absolutely no problem with folks simply posting pics of stuff - I especially love the vintage vinyl stuff that I will probably never see/hear. That Debussy album above is beautiful

7. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Now playing:
    • Dvořák: Slavonic Dances, Opp. 46 & 72 (complete) • Carnival Overture, Op. 92 - Václav Talich / Czech Philharmonic Orchestra [Naxos Historical 2009, Recorded on November 27 & 28, 1935 at EMI Abbey Road Studio No. 1, London, Reissue producer and audio restoration engineer: Mark Obert-Thorn — very characterful performances, dynamic and rhythmically alive, expertly-played, esp. the great winds — been listening to a lot of Talich's Dvořák and Smetana this week]
    [​IMG]

8. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Naxos Historical is a GREAT label....right there with Pearl, and sometimes ahead. I might throw APR into the conversation, but whenever I see an NH in the used bins I take it home without even reviewing it.

Thread duty (sorry for the size....working on that):

Twice through this piece of vinyl tonight....

[​IMG]

This on the back of the sleeve:

[​IMG]

9. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Headed off to Disney Hall now for the first night of The Mahler Project. Mahler 4 with Miah Persson, as well as Songs From The Wayfarer with Thomas Hampson. Gustavo Dudamel conducting the LA Phil.

[​IMG]

10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

What is your overall opinion of this twofer, George? I have been wondering if I should pull the trigger on this one. I don't have any CD's on works by von Weber but may have an LP or two. How is the SQ?

11. What is Long Play Fan Listing tonight in Sunny and Warm San Diego, CA. USA

Schumann: Kreisleriana, Op. 16 (29:28 mins)

Schumann: Variations on a Theme by Clara Wiwck (07:20)

Vladimir Horowitz, pianist.

Produced by Richard Killough Album notes by Edward Downes.

Columbia MS 7264 Stereo

Thrift Store Price $1.25 Vinyl is super clean, with a very quiet black groove.

Cheers, Long Play Fan

Hello Doctor Dave

12. George P

The SQ is very good. If you want a set of the sonatas, it's a smart buy. Just keep in mind that more energetic performances are out there (Arrau, Richter.)

13. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

14. Jay F

Jay F New Member

O, lucky Eddie.

15. coopmv

Where is everyone?

16. coopmv

Now playing CD9 from the following set for a first listen - works by Jean-Joseph Cassanea de Mondonville with Leonhardt on the harpsichord and Fryden on the violin ...

[​IMG]

17. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Well this made my day thanx to George!
    I've been sick as a dog all day....lousy weather!!
    Thanx George....got this before the others I ordered from the companies.

[​IMG]

18. George P

Sorry to hear that buddy! Get well soon! I am still getting over a bad cold from a week and a half ago.

I aim to please. :cool:

That music should soothe your soul.

19. coopmv

Get well soon, Jim.

I have been fighting a minor cold as well. This unusually warm winter has actually created more problems for me. I generally felt much better last winter when it was mostly seasonably cold ...

20. George P

I agree 100%. :agree:

21. coopmv

I am beginning to think the Casals JS Bach Cello Suites reconstructed/remastered by Ward Marston for Naxos Historical must be a different recording from the one released by EMI. I have the EMI set on both CD and LP ...

22. George P

Yeah, that set has been remastered many times, EMI, Naxos, Pearl, Opus Kura...

23. coopmv

Now playing CD3 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

24. I am off to my Record Library to select the following LP

Gustav Mahler: "Symphony No. 4 in G Major" (A Child's View of Paradise) (55:07 mins)

Leonard Bernstein conducting the New York Philharmonic (Music Director 195:cool:

Soprano solo: Reri Grist

Produced by John McClare

"Commemorating the 100th Anniversary of Mahler's Birth and the 50th Anniversary of his first season as Music Director of the New York Philharmonic (1910-1911)

Columbia Masterworks MS 6152 [ 360 Stereo ]

Side One: 25:57 mins
    Side Two: 29:10 mins

Purchased in local thrift store for $1.50 Vinyl is in brand new condition with no mares
    or scratches. Groove is "silent and black" with no imperfections. Excellent LP.

Tomorrow I continue with the 5th.

Playing all my Mahler Symphonies in January 2012.

Cheers, Long Play Fan

25. drh

drh Talking Machine

What the notes don't divulge is that the 78 RPM issues of these recordings were rather peculiar. Usually, large works (or cycles) in sets were issued on a uniform size of record. The record companies would even go to the length of rearranging opus number order to fit the works together; an example would be Brailowsky's traversal of the Chopin etudes. The Talich Dvorak Slavonic Dances, were issued in two albums, one with 4 12" records and one with 5 10" ones. Here's the breakdown:

Victor set M 310, 4 12" (op. 46 nos. 1, 2, 3, 6, 8; op. 72 nos. 1, 2, 4)
    Victor set M 345, 5 10" (op. 46 nos. 4, 5, 7; op. 72 nos. 3, 5, 6, 7, 8).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.