Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #33)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. $1.00

JOHN S: GOOD EVENING SIR: IN REGARDS TO YOUR CD COPY OF

Bruckner
    Symphony No. 4
    Wiener Philharmoniker
    Karl Böhm
    (recorded Sofiensaal, Vienna, November 1973)

[​IMG]

I HAVE THE LP VERSION WHICH I PURCHASED FROM A LOCAL THRIFT STORE FOR $1.00 ABOUT THREE YEARS AGO. I ALSO HAVE THE CD COPY. THIS HAS TO BE ONE OF MY FAVORITE INTERPRETATIONS, DUE TO MAESTRO BOHM AND THE VPO ARTISTRY. THE LP RELEASE DATE IS 1974.

CHEERS LONG PLAY FAN

2. JOHN S. PHOTOS OF LP COPY

Bruckner
    Symphony No. 4
    Wiener Philharmoniker
    Karl Böhm
    (recorded Sofiensaal, Vienna, November 1973)

[​IMG]

CHEERS LONG PLAY FAN

Attached Files:

3. FANS OF THIS VINTAGE INSTRUMENT: MORTON ORGAN WILL LIKE THIS RECORD. THE FOX THEATRE IS STILL OPEN FOR BUSINESS IN SAN DIEGO. THE RECORDING IS SUPERB FULL OF JUSTO AND PERSONALITY. CHEERS LONG PLAY FAN.

Attached Files:

4. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

What takes place in the theater now? Just from that one picture it looks incredible.

Here in Philadelphia the famed organ is the one in the Wanamaker Building, location of the famed department store, now of course defunct (I believe the building's current tenant in the retail space is a Macy's). It still works and there's a Christmas concert performed there each year, by tradition.

There is also an organ in the Kimmel Center, Verizon Hall, the main home of the Philadelphia Orchestra. I've heard a few performances there with the organ, including one recital, and it sounds grand, though I'm no expert on organs, comparatively.

5. VERDI: Rigoletto - London OSA 1332 Stereo 3 LPs Nino Sanzogno, conducting.

OPERA FANS: YOU GOTTA LISTEN TO THIS BOX SET FROM LONDON RECORDS. THIS TWO HOUR OPERA IS WONDERFULLY RECORDED. ARTISTS ARE TOP NOTCH. LUCKY FOR ME THE THREE LPS ARE IN PERFECT GROOVE CONDITION. LONDON DID A GREAT JOB OF RECORDING THIS OPERA VIA THEIR STEREOPHONIC STAGED RECORDING. PRICE OF BOX SET $2.00 THIS BOX SET BELONGED TO A CLASSICAL RADIO STATION.

ANOTHER GEM FROM THE THRIFT STORE.

REFERENCE FOR CD AND LP HISTORIAN DOCTOR VANHOOSER ZAL5380-5G D-Wax #

Cheers, Long Play Fan.

Attached Files:

7. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Long Play Fan,

Just so you know, all capital letters is the internet equivalent of yelling.

8. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

this was originally issued as a 2-LP set,Decca 6BB171-72 (10/74).the LP
    cover is shown on the back of the Decca Legends CD reissue booklet.
    according to the Gray discography plans were made to issue the recording
    on a single LP,but after trial discs were cut they decided it required two.
    obviously they later changed their mind.your London Jubilee LP must have
    very long sides.was it pressed in Holland?

9. Attention: Doctor Vanhooser

London-Jubilee JL 41049 Stereo LP "Made in Holland"

Regarding: (1) Recording Location (2) Length of LP Side 1 and Side 2.

Bruckner
    Symphony No. 4
    Vienna Philharmonic
    Karl Böhm

Side 1 [TT 35:35]
    1st Movt 20:05
    2nd Movt 15:30

Side 2 [TT 33:10]
    3rd Movt 11:05
    4th Movt 21:05

Total Time: 68:45 mins

Review: Excellent Recording! Not one note of distortion from outside groove to inside groove. Remember another Very Long Play LP by Decca is Lizst A Faust Symphony! A Thrift Store Gem For Only One Dollar!

Cheers, A Long Playing Fan

[​IMG]

10. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

[​IMG]

11. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Interesting. I have the 35th, together with earlier symphonies, on a DSD Mastered Sony "Great Performances" disc. I know that the 39th and 40th were released on a single layer SACD, but I hadn't seen those masterings on redbook before now. Possibly on the original covers release.

12. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

A single LP? My three recordings of the Bruckner 4th all run 60 - 65 minutes.

Edit - just saw the later post.

13. George P

[​IMG]

Enjoying the first symphony this morning from my favorite Sibelius set (I also have Bernstein and Blomstedt.) Absolute heaven.

14. John S

John S Forum Resident

think I'll join you George

Sibelius
    CD1
    Symphony No. 3 in C, Op. 52
    Symphony No. 6 in D minor, Op 104
    Tapiola, Op. 112

CD2
    Symphony No. 5 in E flat, Op. 82
    Symphony No. 7 in C, Op. 105
    En saga, Op. 9

Philharmonia Orchestra
    Vladimir Ashkenazy
    (recorded in Kingsway Hall, London, October 1980 [no. 5],
    March 1981 [En saga], March 1982 [no.7, Tapiola], May 1983 [no. 3],
    Walthamstow Town Hall, London, June 1984 [no. 6])

[​IMG]

15. George P

16. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Elgar: Cello Concerto. First issue Classics For Pleasure CD CFP 9003
    LPO cond Vernon Handley with Robert Cohen on the instrument.

17. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Outside of the Tone Poems,Sibelius does have a lot to say owning the Simon Rattle symphonies set plus the Naxos piano works recordings. :thumbsup:

18. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Sorry, no, I do not remember this mag. It must have somehow passed my attention.Back in those days I avidly read the English Gramphone and the U.S Hi/Fi Stereo Review/ Musical America. They were my 'bibles'.
    Younger collectors today, must have no idea the gaunlets, some collectors faced ,trying to get decent pressings, back in the days of vinyl. If one then lived out in some remote rural hot area (which I then did) -by the time one received a mailed package of vinyl, the problem was compounded. It was possible to find the postal services had taken no care in transit. Having the vinyl arrive, warped and buckled....meant a return shipping , back to the source. And to import - the fuss one had to go to: was too much bother. In those mad trade barrier days, there was 'official' restrictions on some releases. I.E: RCA Victor releases from the U.S: as they carried the 'dog & gramophone logo' that in Australia, then belonged to the EMI group (HMV). As well the word 'Victor' happened then, to belong locally to some very little known local sewing machine company.

You can imagine the joy I see : the trademark rationizations amongst record companies since. As well, Australians are now able to import any CDs they like, from anywhere : and also, pay no import tax on any order under $1000! To find that I can now order on -line from places like Presto etc.and within a week or so, have them turn up at my door - sealed- in perfect condition - and in great secure packaging... I am living 'the dream'. :goodie:

19. Collector Man

I thank you for welcoming me. I agree wholeheartedly, with your opinion, In the past, when recorded music was more expensive and the range far less, it made one choose carefully and to listen and appreciate , what we had purchased. I can even remember a time when I agonized over whether to buy a recording because it also contained the Bruch Violin concerto. I happened to already then, have ONE other recording of the work! Looking at my shelves today, I am likely to find 15 to 16 versions of it , or 10 complete Beethoven Symphony cycles or 5 Vaughan William Sym.cycles or 13 Wagner Ring Cycles.
    I have to admit it is shockingly 'rather excessive'.
    Perhaps I put it down to a vow I made when I was a child. Bedazzled at seeing a record shop window with boxes of complete operas on say 2 or 3
    12 " microgroove records...wow! 'Was it possible'!!?? I vowed to one day, own a record shop! It never came to pass....but I have to admit, now more than have -its equivalent.

Still, amongst that, it then allows one to put together the various performance triumphs, and failures as well as go back and view distinctive 'ascoutic signatures' of various venues Where exactly those recordings were made, or their engineering. Ah! The times when the listing of regarded producers and engineers doing the recording also meant a lot to the purchaser. If it was say Kingway Hall, or the Sofiensall I was already half sold.:)

20. Collector Man

, Whenever I finish listening to a couple of complete operas straight through, after each other: I always keep having a certain thought. In that very same time, for opera goers preparing to go the opera - attending - and then suffering the long intervals, they are probably still there listening to the final Act of just one opera! I call my action- speed listening.:)

21. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

You have 5 Vaughan Williams cycles? wow. didn't know there were that many.

What are your favorite performances of each? Do you like any better than the standard Boult or Barborelli picks?

22. Collector Man

I brought one of Yahama's big AV 'beauties', It has an altenative benefit I found, as well. Owning two 'built like tank for reliability' CD players with facilities to use them as 'just a transport'; enables, sending the digital signal for final processing - elsewhere...into the new Yamaha amp . With it, having much more advanced processing chip sets... it gave the CD players a quite noticable upgrade in performance, at no cost.
    Then press for pure straight - though 2 channel stereo if you choose.

23. Collector Man

Well; for sets - there is the Boult , the Naxos set with assorted conductors, the Previn, the Andrew Davis and the Vernon Handley...as well as (one - I do not own) the Slatkin . Plus all the various other separate releases from the likes of Norrington , Richard Hickox etc. As far as perfomance goes, I have a fondness for both the older and newer editions. I think Vaughan Williams is lucky that he does not appear to have been subjected to what one could call any misjudged lousy recorded releases. I smile thinking back , how British reviews at the time of Previn's Cycle wondered 'whether he had enough capacity of a particular feeling, needed for a British composer' : which was undoubted patriotic snobbery. And I do not mind the inclusion of the spoken narration he used in his version of Sinfonia Antartica (the V.W -7th Sym)

With British music, we usually equate it with pastoral scenes, weather elements, and /or with choral interludes. Yet one composer that is a true sleeper and different , is Malcolm Arnold and his 9 symphonies.. His 3 & 4 th Symponies are 'the real kicker' to grab peoples' accepting attention. Nothing sedate... quite melodic, yet edgy at the same time. A composer, known more for the many film scores he did: yet just as proficient in the classical sphere. If people want to sample and try him out, there is the whole series on Naxos in great sound, to pick from..

24. Collector Man

They may have been quietly using D.M.M (Direct Metal Mastering) cutting on copper plated masters to process that Bruckner one -disc vinyl release. One of the most noticable 'very long cuts' I came across, was EMI using D.D.M on one re- release of Maria Callas in the two one act operas 'Cav & Pag' - complete. It had the distinction of similtaneous dual release On CD :3 CDs, but on vinyl, just ...2 discs!

25. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Perhaps I should give this twofer some consideration ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.