Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #33)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Recently I listened to Talich's version of The Water Goblin by Dvorak. I am still comparing versions of Dvorak's symphonic poems.

2. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Previously, in an older thread, someone (Bronth?) mentioned they purchased this Bach cd.

I think these gamba sonatas are well done here on cello. 3 from J.S. Bach and 1 gamba sonata from C.P.E. Bach. I enjoyed Angela Hewitt's accompaniment.

GambaBachMullerSchott.jpg

on ORFEO, C693 071 A, 2007.
    A co-production with Bavarian Radio.
    Engineer: Stefan Briegel

3. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

that was my thinking,but so far i haven't been able to confirm that it was
    issued in stereo,either in the Living Stereo series or later on LP or CD.

4. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

London Stereo Treasury STS-15141.recorded in the Frederick R. Mann
    Auditorium,Tel Aviv,5/58.producer:John Culshaw.engineer:James Brown.
    first released on Decca SXL 2046 (11/58) & London CS 6066 (3/59).
    a pleasant recording.this is an American pressing,which i usually avoid,
    but this one sounds surprisingly good.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      44.3 KB
      Views:
  5. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Thanx Guys!
    Sick of being sick that's for sure!
    I also agree...this odd weather isn't helping.

6. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Up early and it's still dark here, so I thought I would revisit this set. Gotta love Moravec's dark sound and gorgeous playing here, beautifully captured by the engineers. I've said it before and I'll surely say it again, these works are my all-time favorite. No matter how many times I hear them by how many pianists (favorites include this set, Arrau (most of all), Cortot, Tipo, Wasowski, and Rubinstein (1930s set)) I hear play these works, I have yet to experience any less enjoyment of them than I had in my early days of collecting classical.

7. George P

[​IMG]

First spin of this new 2CD set. So far (I'm only into the D 946 a bit), this has been lovely, energetic playing. I've also aquired his CD of D859 and D960. I plan to hear that one this weekend as well.

8. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

What's the D894 like, particularly with regard to the outer movements? Does he take the first movement anything like as slow as Richter (27 minutes seems a bit much for me) and does he include the repeat?

I might consider getting that, not just for the above but D850, which as mentioned before I've almost never heard played.

9. George P

Not sure, as I have yet to hear it. I'll let you know.

I sampled a bit of the D850 earlier, but was more in the mood for the D946 and the Impromptus. His D850 sounds great. He has a great manner at the keyboard, seeming calm and reserved until the music comes to a boil and he reveals an electric intensity.

Who else do you have in Schubert solo piano works?

10. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the D959 from this CD.

11. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Not a lot, I just have the last two sonatas in my collection. But out of the top of my head I've been to recitals of D894, D960 and D664 (the little A major), the second set of Impromptus and on the radio I've heard numerous Andras Schiff performances of many of the other sonatas starting from 1817 (when Schubert became the Schubert we love and not just a retread of Haydn and Beethoven) and someone (can't remember who) playing the Wanderer Fantasy and, on a CD I don't own, Albert Brendel play some of the waltzes.

It's just the D850 that has somehow eluded me so far, so I look forward to hearing that performance when I get a chance.

EDIT: I actually have the exact same CD you're listening to right now - so based on that I think I will get some more Paul Lewis! :righton:

12. George P

His D959 is nice, but Sokolov is the best I have heard in D959. I usually prefer Richter for most Schubert Sonatas, but he never recorded that one. Brendel's live D959 on Philips is great too.

13. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I started a new thread, but I screwed up the title, and it disappeared quickly. (I did ask if a Gort could fix it, but got no response.) So, I thought I could risk one double post. Here is the list and the link. As mentioned, it is divided in two because of the limitations of MOG. Also several late additions are not in chronological order, as MOG's playlist re-ordering capabilities are rather crude, especially for a list as long as mine.

MOG Non-Vocal Playlist.

MOG Vocal Playlist.

Henry Purcell - Chancony in G minor - Les Violons du Roy
    Marin Marais - Pieces de Viole Book 4 - Jordi Savall
    Archangelo Corelli - Op. 6 Concerti Grossi. - Academy of St. Martins in the Fields/Neville Marriner
    Antonio Vivaldi - Mandolin concertos - Europa Galante
    Geoge Frederick Handel - Water Music - Philharmonia Baroque/Nicholas McGegan
    Johann Sebastian Bach - Brandenburg Concertos - The English Concert/Trevor Pinnock
    Johann Sebastian Bach - Tocatta and Fugue in d - E. Power Biggs
    Johann Sebastian Bach - Goldberg Variations - Glenn Gould
    Domenico Scarlatti - Sonatas - Vladimir Horowitz
    Franz Joseph Haydn - Symphony No. 94, "Surprise" - Royal Concergebouw/Colin Davis
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 20 - Murray Perehia/English Chamber Orchestra
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Overture to La nozze di Figaro - London Philharmonic Orchestra/Georg Solti
    Ludwig van Beethoven - 5th Symphony - Vienna Philharmonic/Carlos Kleiber
    Ludwig van Beethoven - Pathetique Sonata - Artur Rubinstein
    Ludwig van Beethoven - Piano Concerto No.5 - Leon Fleisher/Cleveland Orchestra/George Szell
    Ludwig van Beethoven - Quartet Op. 132 - Takacs Quartet
    Luigi Boccherini- Quintet in E, Op. 11 no. 5 - Smithsonian Chamber Players
    Niccolo Paganini - Caprice no. 24 - Midori
    Franz Schubert – Piano Sonata in G D.894 - Paul Lewis
    Franz Schubert - Piano Trio No. in B Flat - Beaux Arts Trio
    Franz Schubert - Symphony no. 8 in B Minor, "Unfinished" - Boston Symphony Orchestra/Charles Munch
    Robert Schumann - Piano Concerto in A minor - Lupu/London Symphony Orchestra/Andre Previn
    Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy - Midsummer Night's Dream - London Symphony Orchestra/Andre Previn
    Frederic Chopin - 4 Ballades - Ivan Moravec
    Frederic Chopin - Scherzos- Artur Rubinstein
    Modest Mussorgsky - Pictures at an Exhibition - Chicago Symphony Orchesta/Fritz Reiner
    Johannes Brahms - Piano Concerto No. 2 - Sviatoslav Richter/Chicago Symphony Orchestra/Erich Leinsdorf
    Antonin Dvorak - Symphony No. 9 'From a New World - Budapest Festival Orchestra/Ivan Fischer
    Anton Bruckner - Symphony No. 4 - Dresden Staatskapelle/Eugen Jochum
    Pyotr Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture - Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra/Antal Dorati
    Pyotr Tchaikovsky - Violin Concerto - Jascha Heifetz/Chicago Symphony Orchestra/Fritz Reiner
    Edvard Grieg - Piano Concerto - Stephen Kovacevich/BBC Symphony Orchestra/Colin Davis
    Claude Debussy - Preludes - Arturo Beneditti Michelangeli
    Edward Elgar - Cello Concerto - Jacqueline Du Pre/London Symphony Orchestra/John Barbirolli
    Gustav Mahler – Symphony No. 2 - New York Philharmonic Orchestra/Leonard Bernstein
    Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade - Chicago Symphony Orchestra/Fritz Reiner
    Sergey Rachmaninov - Preludes - Vladimir Ashkenazy
    Sergey Rachmaninov - Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini - Shura Cherkassky/Cologne Rundfunk Sinfonie Orchester/Zdnek Macal
    Charles Ives - Holidays Symphony - San Francisco Symphony/Michael Tilson-Thomas
    Maurice Ravel - Suite No. 2 from Daphnis et Chloe - Chicago Symphony Orchestra/Jean Martinon
    Maurice Ravel - Bolero - New York Philharmonic Orchestra/Pierre Boulez
    Erik Satie - Gymnopedes, Gnosiennes and Nocturnes - Pascal Roge
    Jean Sibelius - Symphony No. 2 - Philharmonia Orchestra/Vladimir Ashkenazy
    Ralph Vaughan Williams - Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis - Academy of St. Martins in the Fields/Neville Marriner
    Igor Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring - Columbia Symphony Orchestra/Igor Stravinsky
    Francis Poulenc - Sextet - Berlin Philharmonic Wind Quintet/Stephen Hough
    Leos Janacek - Sinfonietta - Czech Ohilharmonic Orchestra/Karel Ancerl
    Arnold Schoenberg - String Quartet No. 2 - Schoenberg Quartet
    Alban Berg - Violin Concerto - Anne-Sophie Mutter/Chicago Symphony Orchestra/James Levine
    Anton Webern - String Quartet op 28 - Emerson String Quartet
    E.J. Moeran Symphony in G minor - New Philharmonia Orchestra/Adrian Boult
    Aaron Copland - Appalachian Spring - New York Philharmonic Orchestra/Leonard Bernstein
    Dmitry Shostakovich - Symphony No. 14 - NHK Symphony Orchestra/Vladimir Ashkenazy
    Bela Bartok - Music for Percussion, Strings & Celeste - Chicago Symphony Orchestra/Fritz Reiner
    Serge Prokofiev - Romeo and Juliet - Scottish National Orchestra/Neeme Jarvi
    Gyorgy Ligeti - Musica Ricercata - Fredrik Ullen
    Iannis Xenakis - Habiki Hana Ma - Polytope of Cluny
    Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians- Steve Reich Ensemble
    John Dowland - Lute Music - Nigel North
    Johan Strauss Jr. - Waltzes and Other Works - Berlin Philharmonic/Herbert von Karajan

Contents of Vocal Music Playlist

Hildegarde von Bingen - The Origin of Fire: Music and Visions - Anonymous 4
    Josquin Desprez - Stabat Mater and Motets - La Chapelle Royale/Philippe Herreweghe
    Palestrina - Pope Marcellus Mass - Tallis Scholars
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Die Zauberflote - Karl Bohm, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Evelyn Lear, Roberta Peters, Fritz Wunderlich, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Hans Hotter
    Richard Strauss - Four Last Songs - Jessye Norman, Kurt Masur, Gewandhausenorchester Leipzig
    Giacomo Puccini - La Boheme - Herbert von Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Mirella Freni, Lucianao Pavaratti
    Carl Orff - Carmina Burana -Eugene Ormandy, Philadelphia Orchestra, Janet Harsanyi, Harve Presnell
    Enrico Caruso - Selected Recordings
    Maria Callas - La Divina - Selected Recordings

14. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Another beauty from BIS

[​IMG]

15. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Agreed this is great playing :righton: Now If I could only locate my disc :(

16. George P

You're supposed to have a special shelf for your Moravec CDs. ;)

17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I know :-D I probably misplaced it during my moving...

18. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

This might work:

[​IMG]

19. George P

:laugh:

20. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Love the OK recording of these.

Did Philips ever roll them out?

21. George P

:agree:

Not to my knowledge, but since that's a totally separate company, they probably didn't.

22. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

A standard for sure. Had them playing this week for two straight days at work. Have you heard the other pressings (though one looks incomplete), buddy?

Elektra Nonesuch 9-79233-2, 1991, CD-AAD

Op. 62 No. 1, Op. 62 No. 2: Philips 456 910-2, 1998, CD-AAD

Ultima Nonesuch 7559-79564-2, 1999, CD-ADD

23. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD2 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

24. coopmv

This is probably the best CD ever released by Nonesuch IMO ... :righton:

25. coopmv

Any good? I believe Jay thinks very highly of Paul Lewis. I only have one recording by Lewis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.