Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #34)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

My first thought, if anyone was to ask what is his identifiable performing signature : that is so special about Richter (beside his prodigious technical ability)...: is his natural magical spontaneity. A sense that he was prepared to perform a work a certain way but at some split second point, had yet discovered still newer insight, and played accordingly. This ,from a person reputed to have enough material stored in his memory for 20 full concerts. It is mind boggling.

2. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

In Arrau's perfomance with Colin Davis cond, of Beethoven Piano Concerto No 4 (Philips Cd) that type of hard physical contact is clearly on display a few times

One night I was sitting in the front row of a concert by the late Geoffery Tozer who recorded a lot of Medtner's works.. Looking back on reflection, judging from that particular performance: he must have been even then, in what one could call, a fragile condition. By the end of his solo concert , I could not help but jump up and be glad, to be the first person, out the exits. The piano on stage, somehow happened to be amazingly, still intact .

3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

His Satie is the best I have heard.

4. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Just put this on.

[​IMG]

5. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

I have this....it's part of the Chandos 30 year Milestone set.
    It's "ok".....I have heard etudes done by veterians that was much better!

6. George P

My guidebook lists him amongst the best Chopin Etude interpreters, along with Ashkenazy, Berezovsky, Kilenyi, Wild and Zayas.

7. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Nonesuch H-71261.producer:Joshua Rifkin.engineering:Ben Taylor.
    mastering:Robert C. Ludwig (Sterling Sound,Inc.) a Dolby-system recording.
    c.1971.i'm no expert in Early Music,but this comes off a little weak compared to more recent efforts,despite having a certain charm.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      56.1 KB
      Views:
  8. Graphyfotoz

The ones I heard and liked were Arrau and Richter.
    How was Moravec performing Chopin Etudes?

9. Graphyfotoz

On the spin....had a hanker'in for something different for a change.

[​IMG]

10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

after listening to Bruno Walter's 1960 recording & Karl Bohm's from 1973,tonight i
    tried a recording of Bruckner's 4th recorded on 9/8/44 by Hans Knappertsbusch & the
    Berliner Philharmoniker (Preiser CD 90226).i got this without the booklet (for $1)
    & don't have any information about the recording,but i assume it was made by the RRG
    on a Magnetophon reel-to-reel.sound & performance are pretty good.

11. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Now playing:
    • Prokofiev: The Tale of the Stone Flower, Op. 118 (complete ballet) - Bolshoi Theatre Orchestra / Gennady Rozhdestvensky [Russian Disc 1994 2CD, Recorded in 1968 — tape transfer & restoration is less than ideal, some drop-outs, glassy upper registers, rough-sounding and patchy in spots, not 'unlistenable', but there is a better-sounding 1999 reissue on Melodiya/BMG, remastered by Michael Glaser at Digital Media Service GmbH — cursory online search indicates this has not been reissued by Brilliant Classics as part of its Historical Russian Archives series — although Prokofiev's eighth and final ballet (composed 1948-1953) is a great piece of music (IMO), I can only find two CD issues in print of the complete music using ArkivMusic's index]

12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks, that's good to know!

13. George P

I don't think he recorded many of them.

For sets, I like Cortot, Ashkenazy and Gavrilov. I have the new Anda live set on Orfeo, but I need to hear it again before deciding about it.

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Meh.

Perahia sounds amazing in this, kinda like what Moravec might have sounded. Cortot is amazing in the Etudes, though he recorded them so many times and so variably it's a little difficult tracking down his best performances in this music.

There's a recording by Augustin Anievas that I've owned on LP many times. A late-night disc jockey for the L.A. classical station happened to be sponsored by local audiophile shops. The DJ demo-ed the Grace 707 arm on one of these shows, with an audible reduction in surface noise and an increase in dynamics on the record he was playing. I was particularly struck by this player's beauty of tone. Worth hunting down, my copies were Seraphim pressings.

15. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I hope I never run out of Lute/theorbo/style CD's to get and listen to...For some reason, I always end up listening to that stuff...

[​IMG]

16. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Ain't that a beauty. :righton:

17. Rose River Bear

It is great but....I go to Roge a little more than JYT. Gotta have both though. :righton:

18. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

19. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

In the cd player draw over the last few days.
    Haydn Symphonies 100 & 102 thru 104
    ECO/ Tate 1986/7 recording reissued on Classics for pleasure in 2008 as a double.

Vaughan Williams: A London Symphony,A Pastoral Symphony, Symphony N.o 4,5,6,8,9 plus Sonfonia antartica.
    LPO/NPO Boult.
    Wasp free 2011 five pack . Well worth the money for the playing and yes even the recording quality seeming more spacious than a good many early digital recordings.

Schubert Symphony No.5
    BPO Boehm from the DG 4 cd pack

P.s gonna spring for that Wand Sony/BMG pack of Bruckner Symphonies as I can get that for about GBP 14 plus shipping. Has to be worth it, eh?

20. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

How do you guys know so much about classical music?

[​IMG]

21. Rose River Bear

Boring lives I guess...and too much disposable income. :winkgrin:

22. George P

I used to prefer Roge to everyone else, but for me, Thibaudet has a little something extra, and great sound too!

23. Doctor VanHooser, sharing this information with you:

Name: Symphony No. 4 in E Flat Major "Romantic".
    Version:1888 Revised by Ferdinand Loewe. Ed. Albert Gutmann [1889]
    Orchestra: Berlin Philharmonic
    Conductor: Hans Knappertsbusch
    Recorded On: 8/9/1944
    Published Date: 1889
    Recording: Adagio Classics CD 4004
    Total Time: 60:37 (fast conducting)
    First Movement: 17:54
    Second Movement: 14:56
    Third Movement: 9:26
    Fourth Movement: 17:32
    Notes: Broadcast recording without an audience

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Pink light downloads, al la Philip K. Dick.

I worked for decades as the resident "Classical Music Maven" at various record stores. Also did radio shows and recorded as the "House Recording Engineer" for a number of musical organizations. I also used to spend too much time pouring over the listings in a number of Classical music journals.

25. Rose River Bear

Currently spinning this great version of The Planets...anyone else have it?

51yqVLtW5HL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.