Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #37)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I have, though it was a couple years ago. No booklet -- a bummer, and a deterrent. I have very few downloads from the majors, which don't seem to do that kind of business well yet.

I haven't heard it all yet either, but I have it on disc and I think it's outstanding. Rave reviews all over the Web for it. That set and Thielemann in Vienna (now on CD and Blu-ray) are probably the two contemporary cycles I'd want to hold onto more than any other.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD1 from the following twofer, another recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

3. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Even illicit uploaders are more considerate. :laugh:

I shall probably go for it then... I have their version of Mahler's Das Lied and it's stunning (in HDCD not SACD).

4. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from the following twofer for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

5. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

The Harris is a great American Symphony. I like very version I've heard, although perhaps Bernstein's earlier recording (this one) is more naturally recorded than his later DG version. Another one I'd recommend is Jarvi's on Chandos, paired with a Copland #3. .

6. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure I've ever posted this favorite. I was in London as a nineteen year-old and found a record shop. The owner gave me a great deal on Sanderling's Brahms 1st and 2nd Symphonies recorded in East Berlin (yes, I am old enough). They were recorded close in a good hall with a very present bass and pressed on a wonderful oil-rich European (non Dynagroove) RCA vinyl. I was in heaven when I heard them for the first time, and since. Believe it or not, they were released in a full set that sells very cheaply and it sounds great on CD as well.

[​IMG]

Sanderling is not a showy conductor but accentuates both the beauty and brooding Brahms. Believe me, you won't be let down.

ps: I was going to try to supply the shop with rare US records when I returned to the States, but sadly I lost his address. But, I'll always remember the shop and the joy of discovering the piece and recording. It's something a brick and mortar record store provides that somehow cannot be duplicated online.

7. Gallileo

Gallileo Forum Resident

Now playing Mozart's Requiem by Sir Neville Marriner and Academy and Chorus of Saint Martin in the Fields.

8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Agreed. It's been my go-to version for the better part of a decade now.

9. coopmv

Just placed the last order for this weekend on the following new EMI SACD's with Amazon ...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. coopmv

Now playing CD3 - Symphony No. 3 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

11. Edgard Varese

Thanks for the suggestion, Kevin, I have it playing on Spotify right now. Goes quite well with doing this data matrix. :D

12. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Haven't heard that one, but my go to for Brahms is Karajan (1960s DG) and Barbirolli. The latter conductors concerto recordings with Barenboim are rich and romantic. And cheap. :righton:

13. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

A personal favorite as well. Sanderling really is outstanding. This Rachmaninov recording of his on DG is likewise a favorite.

[​IMG]

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The Karajan is wonderful, haven't heard Barbirolli in the Symphonies. Sanderling is very good. The Dresden Staatskapelle is amazing in this cycle and very naturally recorded as well.

15. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I think Sanderling is very good backing Uchida's Philips cycle of the Beethoven Concertos.

I have the original Philips issue of the Concerto No. 5 plus the C minor Variations, and also the Decca reissue of the set of Concertos. Funny thing the Philips disc of No. 5 'Emperor' sounds a lot better to my ears than the later Decca reissue.
    There is just more involvement in the Philips disc sound. The Decca is bright, dry and doesn't sound as expansive.

I have just ordered the other Philips discs (used) to see if the same applies to the Concertos 1,2,3,4.

16. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

But this Sanderling Rachmaninoff Symphony No 2, has the then -accepted cuts, that other later recorded performances do not. I hate cuts.

17. Edgard Varese

George, is there a reliable way to work out which Karajan Brahms is which? I know that the individual symphonies are clearly marked (I have his digital version of the Second as a standalone disc), but the two-fers are very confusing (particularly given that he recorded them four times, or something like that).

18. George P

His 60s #1 is in the Original series,

[​IMG]

his 60s #2 and #3 are coupled together in a cheap Musickfest CD:

[​IMG]

and his 60s #4 was issued here (and probably elsewhere, but this is how I have it):

[​IMG]

19. Edgard Varese

Cheers, thanks George. I didn't know if it was possible to get all of the 60s cycle in one set. I have a cycle of his on vinyl but I'm pretty sure it's the 70s one.

20. George P

I don't think the 60s set was ever released as a whole. However, you should be able to get the above CDs for cheap.

21. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Gehry designed the new Signature Theatre on 42nd St. To be honest, I think the lobby space is rather awkward and unappealing. The maint theate (only one I've been to so far) is taditional and fine.

22. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

+1

A treasure. I have four lute albums from Astree and wish I had more.

23. Is that an original CD pressing George, a reissue/remaster or just a Euro release with the DECCA label?

I ran a quick eBay search and noticed some sellers have a version with the London label logo in the upper right corner of the CD jacket, that could just indicate that it's a CD pressed for the U.S. and Canada due to the other DECCA label over here.

[​IMG]

24. George P

My copy is actually the London one pictured above, pressed in the USA.

25. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

You can check copyright dates. IIRC all DG reissues show the original copyright date, as opposed to some bogus, more recent date purportedly extending the copyright for a new transfer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.