Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #38)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

That's the first time that I see this record. I have the older recording with Ferrier, how does this compare to it?

2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Alma—tell us, all modern women are jealous . . .

Better sound, very much a "Last Statement" on the subject. Mildred Miller is more resigned than Ferrier, more in control of her voice as well. Ernst Haefliger is near perfect in the tenor part. The VPO/Patzak/Ferrier may be the "Classic" rendition but objectively speaking, the final recording is superior. However, the Reiner/CSO SACD is a must-buy, one of the best titles in the Living Stereo SACD series.

[​IMG]

3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Good to know, thanks Robin, I will look for it. I agree about the Reiner SACD, it 's excellent.

4. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

I agree. Lyrita was always a highly respected , even if lesser known label:)

5. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Try this... 5139lsh6VoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg :cheers:

6. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

As you know, Reiner acknowledged Mahler's genius only very late in his long conducting career (he also recorded the 4th also in SACD).

It is also said that Mahler's rival Toscanini, who had publicly stated that Mahler's music was only good for Essex commercials, happened to be at La Scala during his last visit to Italy and overheard a rehearsal of a work that left him speechless. But he did not know what it was. He asked about it and was astound to learn that it was Mahler's DLVDE!

Alex.-

7. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

His prewar Mozart recordings were first assembled on CD in this References Box:

[​IMG]

now part of a larger box that includes aslo his first ('36) DLVDE recorded in Vienna:

[​IMG]

Amazing readings and quite different from Walters' remakes in USA.

Alex

8. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Since you discuss Walter my all time favorite Walter recordings that I heartily recommended to the uninitiated, are Brahms 3rd (the beginning of the 4th movement gives me still chills all over) and Bruckner 9th (an extremely moving, deep and human reading) with the Columbia SO:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

I agree also.....excellent recording and a must have for any collection. :edthumbs:

10. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Speaking of Bruno Walter......
    I have one CD of His and it's a VERY RARE Sony French copy and I have never seen another like it.
    Had this for YEARS!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Yes. the first late 80s CBS historical series (incl. some titles never reissued thereafter).

The one you mention was later re released as double CD incl. rehearsals:

[​IMG]

12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Note that the first thing listed on the cover is the wonderful Sigfried Idyll, probably the most tender performance of the most tender thing Wagner ever wrote.

That Brahms Third is wonderful, have it now on the original vinyl. This specific Bruckner (the reissue is of possibly the best sounding of all of Walter's Late recordings) CD is a superior transfer, one of the best in a very good series. The previous Odyssey transfers [on both LP and CD] were weak, esp. compared to the six-eye originals.

13. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

14. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Cool story about Toscanini and Mahler!

15. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I agree, Robin. I have the minty original Columbia stereo 7LP box of Walter's Beethoven Symphonies (w/ CSO, cat. no. D7S-610). This was a lucky find last year for — $12!! (Granted, it's an early two-eye, not the pricey six-eye.) The sound achieved at the American Legion Hall Post 43, Hollywood, Calif., is pretty amazing, let alone for Columbia. I've heard the 1999 single-layer SACD's of the Fifth and Sixth Symphonies. They do not compare. The stereo Sixth is one of my favorite Walter recordings.

16. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Can't get past side one of this as I keep returning to it.
    [​IMG]

So different than Glen Gould's approach. I love them both.

17. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I heard that Lyrita disc in a hi-fi salon several years ago. As others have said Lyrita's sound and performances were often praised in reviews.

18. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Any discs in particular that bother you? My experience has been that at least during the late 90's and early part of this century, Sony has been doing an admirable job remastering its catalog e.g. Bernstein's Mahler and Szell's Haydn.

19. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Especially as performed by Gould. Recently I listened to the Prelude in C from WTC 1 peformed by Gould, Schiff and Hewitt. In that context, Gould
    sounded like he was playing an exercise as part of a piano lesson. (And Gould was my go-to guy for decades.)

20. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Time for some lieder, now playing the following CD, which just arrived earlier today for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I used to own those SACDs [note tense.] I still have a six-eye stereo of Beethoven's 7th, one of the better performances in that series. Bruno Walter's take on the Pastorale is one of my favorite performances as well. I've owned the Bruno Walter Edition CD remasters of Beethoven, not bad but not quite as good as the early LPs.

22. coopmv

Now playing CD3, the last CD from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

23. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I meant with respect to budget boxes. I should have been clearer. Sorry.

24. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Yes, he's at his worst in the WTC IMO.

25. coopmv

Just placed a late night order with Amazon on the following CD/CD set ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.