Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drh

drh Talking Machine

Welcome to the thread and to the forum--and happy new year!

PS: When you get a chance, you might fill out your user profile, which is always a source of fun info for your fellow members.

2. Jay F

Jay F New Member Thread Starter

It sounds like a fun concert, Eddie (good that Mrs. Wigglewaggle left, of course). How did your nephew like it?

3. Jay F

Welcome, Kuhlau.

4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Welcome Kuhlau :wave:

Great review to a much acclaimed performance, certainly one of my favorites. What do you think of Natalie Clein's recent recording?

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL :)

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

That's hilarious :laugh::laugh:

6. Jay F

Today, I'm listening to Mahler Tilson-Thomas. After Bernstein's CBS version, this is my favorite, and there are a few new copies for ~$8 on Amazon Marketplace today (01-01-09).

Attached Files:

7. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Beethoven
    Trio No. 5 in D major, op. 70 no. 1 "Ghost"
    The Beaux Arts Trio
    Philips 468 411-2
    Recorded 1981

Good morning and Happy New Year.

8. George P

George P Notable Member

I know where Bogey had Breakfast this morning. ;)

9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Happy New Year!

I have this recording on LP, the original remastered CD as shown above and the more recently re-packaged 5-CD set. This is my all-time favorite Brandenburg Concertos for someone who generally prefers to listen to baroque music performed on period instruments.

10. George P

George P Notable Member

Was spinning Robert Silverman's Op. 2 No. 1 by Beethoven but his bland, unexciting interpretation put an end to that. I jumped ahead to the final sonata and the result couldn't have been more different. Big, bold, a wonderful performance!

Link to a review of this set: http://www.robert-silverman.com/index.php?mpage=disc&cid=2

11. coopmv

IHOP?

12. coopmv

George, Happy New Year. I think I have a CD by Robert Silverman I received from Stereophile as a bonus to subscriber some years ago. I only played it once after it arrived in mail. I just did not find the performance particularly outstanding. What are your thoughts of Silverman as a pianist?

13. George P

George P Notable Member

14. George P

George P Notable Member

This is my first encounter with him. The set is distantly miked, with slow tempos. This worked OK in the 32nd sonata, but killed the first. I need to hear more to determine how much I like this set.

15. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'm starting the year with G.F. Handel's Water Music/Music For The Royal Fireworks, Hogwood and the Academy of Ancient Music. Bracing, elegant, cleansing, and very slightly out-of-tune. I love it!

16. coopmv

That is a pretty nice CD and is a close rival to the same works performed by Pinnock and the English Concert ...

17. coopmv

Welcome to Classical Music Corner (thread #4) ...

18. Kuhlau

Kuhlau New Member

Thanks for the welcome.

I'll fill it out later this evening if I get time - I'm expecting my in-laws round for dinner very soon. :help: :laugh:

Hi, Jay. Thanks for the welcome. :)

Glad you liked my review. I've been tinkering with that first one for weeks. :D Feel free to leave a comment and give me some feedback. :)

As for Clein's recording, I've not heard it, yet. I've got the Kliegel performance on Naxos (which is impressive for its soloist's restraint - the polar opposite of du Pre's approach), plus a small stack of others. I used to like Robert Cohen's reading, but hearing it again recently left me colder than on my first encounter with it a couple of years ago. As for Casals, the less said the better. Does some good work in the second two movements, but the opening pair are pretty grim. :shake:

FK

19. George P

George P Notable Member

:hide:

20. Kuhlau

Kuhlau New Member

Thanks. :)

Good to be here. George has been on at me to join for about six months.

FK

21. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

...which I heard on KING-FM a few days ago, and loved. May have to get that one.

22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Finally, I got the chance to listen to Kissin 's set of Beethoven concertos. Here are some thoughts:

First, a little note about the sound. The recording itself is excellent, one of the best I 've heard for a while. The orchestra is majestic with a full-bodied, dynamic sound and with a great ambiance. The piano is very detailed but comes a little forward in the soundstage and it does not blend very well. This might turn a few people off. Personally I like it because I can hear every little detail.

From the performances, the most impressive, I think, is the "Emperor". In this, Kissin gives the performance of the lifetime, energetic, passionate and meaningful.

The others are great too. I did not like much the first two, they are not bad but I prefer a more Mozartian approach. Davis is excellent as always.

Now, the competition in these works is very tough and If you start comparing this new cycle with the old masters like Serkin or Kempff or I don't know whom there is no end. So I am not going to make any comparisons.

Overall, I would say this new set is a worthy addition and will provide a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment to the Beethoven aficionados.

23. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Definitely.

Clein's performance is great, maybe not as amazing as Du Pre's but among the best IMHO.

24. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

More Barenboim

Gracias!

Now watching piano concerto No. 4.

Attached Files:

25. Kuhlau

Kuhlau New Member

You're very wise not to make comparisons - especially when the competition includes the masterly cycle by Russell Sherman on Vanguard. Ask George - he'll confirm the quality of that incredible set. :righton:

And then there's Bronfman on Sony. Quite literally, the best Beethoven Third and Fourth Piano Concerti I've ever experienced.

FK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.