Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #41)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Great performance with excellent SQ ... :righton:

2. coopmv

I have seen a few of those. Not sure why. At any rate, I think when you check out, the VAT deduction is taken out of the subtotal.

3. coopmv

I listen to none ...

4. coopmv

That is pre or early baroque ...

5. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Yeah that's it! Thanx George
    I was having a major Homer Simpson DOHHH moment!! :laugh:

6. Graphyfotoz

I believe it's early Baroque done on period instruments.
    I did get it BTW....new it's around $40-$45.
    I got it ULN for $7.95!! :righton:

So even tho it's Baroque it didn't leave me broke! :biglaugh:

[​IMG]

7. Graphyfotoz

Additional info from DIVOX

La morte del cor penitente

Giovanni Maria Legrenzi (1626-1690), composer and choirmaster of San Marco in Venice, was praised by his contemporaries as a „true source of music and living oracle of harmony“. Daring to disregard the laws of composition in favor of „grace and charm“, he composed operas and oratorios in addition to his instrumental works. Of the eight known Legrenzi oratorios only three complete works have been preserved. „La Morte del cor penitente“ was probably written in 1671 for the Venetian church „Santa Maria della Consolazione“ where Legrenzi was choirmaster from the year 1670 to 1690.

In the period of the Counter Reformation, a highly explosive theme was described: that of the spiritual path of the sinner, who through repentance can redress his missdeeds against God and attempt to regain his damaged honor. The annonymous author of the text conjures the image of this inner journey in many poetic pictures, and Legrenzi translates the theme to a succession of affected Arias, Duets and Recitatives in a powerful and melodic design.

8. robnec

robnec Forum Resident

Hello. I am following this thread with great pleasure. This post made me to write something, Finally. :). Chopin is my beloved composer and Preludes are my favorite pieces. I have many performances, Jorge Bolet live in Carnegie Hall is spinned most often. I listen to vinyl exclusively so my choices are somewhat limited. How did you like the Ivo's performance of the whole cycle? I remember the turmoil he had caused during the Chopin Competition in Warsaw. I am trying to get Richter's record but it is available from Russia only. Maybe one day.:). Robert

9. Graphyfotoz

WELCOME Robert! :cheers:

I only listen to CD as I gave up vinyl years ago.
    (I do like it when vinyl goes straight to CD I have some of those)
    But there are several people here that are vinyl people so no worries.
    It's all classical music and thats what we are all about here!! :righton:

10. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following twofer, another recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

11. coopmv

Welcome.

I have a pretty good-sized LP collection, though I rarely ever spin them nor will I get rid of them. Perhaps, I will listen again to LP's in my retirement years. RRB, are you spinning your vinyl these days? :D

12. Graphyfotoz

GREAT!
    It's been a while since I used MOG it looks like I hafta re-register and pay now. :realmad:

13. coopmv

MOG?? Is it like Spotify?

14. Graphyfotoz

Similar.....they had a better Classical selection I think.

15. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from the following twofer, another recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

It shows fine now, crazy!

Folks, I am thinking of ordering some or all of these Richter sacds on the Praga label.

http://www.mdt.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=Richter+praga+sacd&t=general

Has anyone heard any of these?

17. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, which just arrived this afternoon for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

18. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Unless things have changed, the license Spotify has from UMG does not allow you to play long tracks (somewhat loosely defined as far as I can tell). What this means is e.g. that you often can only listen to several movements of a symphony - probably no movements of most Masler symphonies, if the recording comes from UMG.

19. coopmv

These are very interesting releases by Praga, a relatively small label. As long as recordings like these are available in physical media, I have no reasons to go for any download. My classical music collection has already reached the necessary critical mass that I can sit back to enjoy what I have, knowing I do not have many gaping holes that I will need to go for download when the days of physical media become history, which I highly doubt. For evidence, just look no further than the vinyl, which has been written off as a dead media some 20 years ago ...

20. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, which arrived this afternoon for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

21. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

That sounds an intriguing recording - two works that tend to be better known in their orchestral versions (both by Ravel).

22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks Stuart!

About downloads, at this point I don't even have the capability to play any files on my stereo. So I don't care too much about them, it is not an option for me and I am not willing *at the moment* to upgrade my stereo so that I can have that option.
    This might change in the future, it depends.
    However I have MOG on my iphone and I use it on a daily basis.
    It is great to be able to have an almost unlimited database of recordings to sample and to listen to casually. To be able to listen to some good music when you commute, late at night in bed before sleep, when you go to the gym etc. To read a review in Gramophone and to have the ability to listen to the cd instantly and judge for yourself before you buy.

I would never even contemplate for MOG to replace my more critical listening with my stereo. But for what it does, it's great.

23. coopmv

I have quite a few piano versions of Pictures at an Exhibition. The most interesting version is the following one where the orchestral version was performed by Karajan and the BPO while the piano version was performed by the great Russian pianist Lazar Berman ...

[​IMG]

24. coopmv

Now playing CD8 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

25. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

listening to this. I never knew that Janis reocrd these with RCA, and Im not familiar enough with the mercury versions to offer meaningful comparison...listening to the concerto no. 1 now and it does sound excellent

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.