Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #41)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Great collection!

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

It is.

Sadly, EMI used some compression on this set. I even hear clipping on one track. Luckily, I already have some of this stuff in better sound from a prior issue of the solo works. Tacchino is awesome!

3. George P

4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yeah, I have this

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351637493.706749.jpg

and when I made my comment I thought that this (the blue one) was a repackaging not a remaster.

5. George P

Yeah, I have that one too.

The 5 CD box I posted earlier adds more solo works (not much, but a bit), the two piano works and the works for piano and orchestra.

6. drh

drh Talking Machine

Yeah, as long as my stock of steel needles holds out! :laugh:

Glad to hear that those who have checked in are OK--we got off pretty easily here in the DC area, but I gather that things are a real mess farther north.

7. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Unless I missed something....
    I haven't seen Stuart post since Monday!
    He isn't far from Long Island which got hit pretty good.
    Hope He is ok....lil worried about Him.

8. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this disc from the box set I posted yesterday.

9. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

[​IMG]

listened to this tonight. For me, no other release beats this

10. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I haven't heard Jessye Norman's version, but my favorite is Elisabeth Schwarzkopf with Szell.

11. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

That box was sitting on my desk when I got to work this morning. Unfortunately, I have no good way to listen at work and I don't have power at home so I don't know when I can listen to it.

12. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Then you are in for a real treat, sometime. I also had the good fortune - seeing Norman live , perform that Strauss work.:)

Just last night I was listening to her performance as Tove in Schoenberg's Guerre Lieder. What a pitch - accurate focussed voice , Norman had.

13. John S

John S Forum Resident

Bummer. It'll keep -- something to look forward to. Stuart parobably has the same problem with power at his house.

20th Century Masterpieces

[​IMG]

CD6
    Milhaud
    La Création du monde Op.81a
    (Salle Wagram, Paris, 1976)
    Orchestre National de France
    Leonard Bernstein

1923-4
    Respighi
    Pini di Roma
    (Studio 1, Abbey Road, London, 1976)
    London Symphony Orchestra
    Lamberto Gardelli

Gershwin
    Rhapsody in Blue
    (Studio 1, Abbey Road, London, 1971)
    André Previn, piano
    London Symphony Orchestra
    André Previn

Janáček
    Sinfonietta
    (Walthamstow Assembly Hall, London, 1959)
    Pro Arte Orchestra
    Sir Charles Mackerras

Milhaud wrote his now famous ballet after listening to Harlem's jazz bands. Admittedly, this piece is new to me, but on first impression I find Milhaud's 'jazziness' more acceptable than Gershwin's, probably due to its being more abstract. Rhapsody in Blue has some lovely moments, but Gershwin's brand of ersatz jazz has never appealed to me.

All these are fine performances, especially the Janáček. My local classical station had the Sinfonietta on heavy rotation, but it never grabbed me. Maybe it was their recording selection, or maybe it was just the FM compression.

14. George P

Now enjoying: [​IMG] from [​IMG]

Three years ago, I paid only $6.98 for the above 5CD shipped!

15. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

That's a great recording - so are the Brahms quartets they did together.

16. john greenwood

Gorgeous. I got to hear her live once, and she was wonderful.

17. drh

drh Talking Machine

I checked "find posts by," and in fact it's been a few days since last he surfaced. Looking on the bright side, maybe he just decided to catch up on all his as-yet unplayed CDs before rejoining us?

18. George P

Yes, I am discovering Brahms music for the first time through Rubinstein's recordings. I found it to be too loud and intense the first few times I heard it, but lately my ears are finding it more enjoyable.

19. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Wow - how many volumes of Poulenc chamber music are there altogether? Must get some!

Regarding the previous talk about Gabriel Tacchino, I have a double CD of his playing Poulenc piano music (not the complete works, but pretty comprehensive) which is one of the very first CDs I acquired. I used to be crazy about his music at the time (aged 13) with the Gloria probably being my favourite work of his (loved the Christmas motets as well, and I think the Nocturnes and Napoli were my favourite piano pieces) but then for some reason I went off his music in a big way.

However in recent years, I've come to appreciate his music again, and although I wouldn't consider him a 20th century composer of the very top rank (though a very good second tier one) as sometimes he's bit too apt to repeat himself and has his sentimental and kitschy moments, at his best I love his combination of sparkling wit, often touching melody, clever combination of the old and new and skill for writing for numerous types of instrumental and vocal ensembles, with his typically French light touch.

20. George P

Five.

I don't think I can think of a single composer who is as much fun as Poulenc. His music is pure joy!

21. john greenwood

The piano quintet is one of his most extroverted chamber music works. You may have noted this at some time in the past, but have you heard the four late chamber works with clarinet: two sonatas (Op. 120), one trio (Op. 114) and a quintet (Op. 115). Brahms had an experience that echoed that of Mozart a century earlier - late in his career he became infatuated with the playing of the clarinettist Richard Muhlfeld. Brahms actually came out of retirement to write those four pieces. And of course at the same time he was writing his piano pieces Op. 116-119.

22. George P

Thanks!

The trio is the only work from that list that I don't own. Which performance do you like for this work? Beaux Arts Trio/Pieterson?

23. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

What's with all this Brahms you've yet to hear? I thought he was one of your favourite composers, or at least top 10? :)

Anyway, once again you're in for a treat regarding the trio; the quintet is the more popular of the two, but somehow the former moves me more - it's quite dark and austere in places but it's still quintessential late Brahms with its autumnal glow, particularly in the first movement. The few magical seconds where the reharmonized second subject comes back in a major key is like the sun breaking through the storm clouds and the finale is ominous as anything in the last symphony, ending strikingly on the very lowest note of the piano.

24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks, I like Jessye Norman and I have quite a few of her recordings, but not the Four Last Songs.
    I 'll keep my eyes open for the cd or LP :)

25. John S

John S Forum Resident

Now enjoying my only version of the Brahms Piano Quintet, Op.34

[​IMG]

Werner Haas, piano
    Members of the Berlin Philharmonic Octet
    (1973)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.