Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #43)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I wonder if this is the same recording as the one below?

[​IMG]

2. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

3. Graphyfotoz

Dunno that one looks more complete.
    CBS sold out a lotta recordings to Sony if I remember correctly.

4. coopmv

Stereo recording was invented by Bell Lab in the late 20's or early 30's. Except the commercial applications did not begin until the late 50's ...

5. coopmv

They look like the same recording ...

6. Graphyfotoz

I love these old movies about technology for the time ©1958

7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Why was the Lindsay String Quartet so much hated by the American critics while at the same time was so much admired by the English? Take a look, for instance, at this review on the allmusic.com website:
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/schubert-the-late-string-quartets-string-quintet-mw0001852106

I was thinking about this question as I was listening to this cd that contains Schubert's Quartets No 8 and 13.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354405259.492573.jpg

Schubert's No 8 was written while the composer was 17 years old. It took Schubert about a week to write it, but it came out as a quite nice work, especially the second movement, which flows beautifully like a song. Although this is an early work and certainly not up to Schubert's later masterpieces, still, the performance of the Lindsays definitely makes it a very enjoyable piece of chamber music.

Schubert Quartet No 13 is known as Rosamunde and it is the only quartet that Schubert managed to publish in his lifetime. It is also considered among his best works. The Lindsays play it nicely (although I know that there are better performances out there) emphasizing the underlining sorrow of the music without making it sounding too heavy.

Back to my original question, I don't know the answer but I guess it doesn't matter. I enjoyed this disc too much to care for such questions.

8. Graphyfotoz

Early Stereo Demonstration Recordings--1958 RCA "Living Stereo" Demonstration

9. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the last CD of performances that I have not heard before from the above set. It contains the 1957 Chopin Preludes and Ballades. Cortot was 80 years old when these were recorded. To my knowledge they were his last Chopin recordings. I highly recommend this set to all piano lovers. As of now, I think ImportCDs has the best price, $78.10. Link - http://www.importcds.com/Music/2512011/Alfred-Cortot-Alfred-Cortot-Anniversary-Edition-CD

10. coopmv

We the listeners should have the last words. Who cares about the English or American critics and what they have to say. I don't. But based on my personal experience, I never expect most American ensembles to provide a stellar performance of, say the Handel Messiah, which is a quintessential English work ...

11. coopmv

Didn't Horowitz make his last recording for DG when he was past 80?

12. George P

I'm not sure.

13. coopmv

Looks like the following DG recording was made when Horowitz was 82. It was a live recording ...

[​IMG]

14. Stunsworth

Stunsworth Forum Resident

There are some test recordings by Blumlein - he of the 'crossed pair' - from the 1930s. There's at least one orchestral recording by I think Beecham. Quite a few labels were recording in stereo in the early 50s, even if stereo LPs didn't appear until 1958 or so. I think stereo tapes preceded stereo LPs by a few years. I have a Nozze de Figaro that was an early stereo commercial recording, though originally issued in mono...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mozart-nozz...JXZB/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1354409201&sr=8-5

15. coopmv

Now playing CD6, the last CD from the following set for a first listen ...
    [​IMG]

16. Graphyfotoz

I believe this was Horowitz last recordings on CD
    Not sure about His contract for DG tho.
    I read somewhere that He recorded right till the end at age 86

[​IMG]

17. coopmv

Vladimir Horowitz 1903-1089 according to wiki and lived to be 86. I believe the Hamburg recording was made in 1985. Is there any info on when this Sony recording was actually made. The Last Recording could well mean the last recording Horowitz made for Sony but not necessarily the absolute last recording ...

18. Graphyfotoz

Found this......

Vladimir Horowitz had just celebrated his 86th birthday when sessions for this recording began in October of 1989. He had recently been lured to Sony Classical by their new director, Gunther Breest, who had signed Horowitz on at Deutsche Grammphon in 1985. One advantage that Sony carried, besides a bigger paycheck, was the latest technology. This recording utilized Sony's then new 20-bit technology, which resulted in a more defined sound picture for this most subtle of pianists.
    The contents of this CD were all new to the Horowitz discography. By the late 1980s, Horowitz had refined and stripped down his art to the essentials. There are none of the histrionics of his early recordings, nor any of the attempts to prove to the listener that he could still play the fastest and the loudest which marred some of his recordings from the 1970s.

19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Nope, very good stereo. I have 6-eye LP originals.

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Reiner/Chicago and Munch/Boston also made stereo recordings in 1954. Stereo recording goes back to the 1930's, but RCA's first commercial recordings are from 1954. Cutting technology for Stereo LPs didn't happen 'til 1958.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I think it was his last recording. It might have been in his apartment.

22. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying a recent purchase, recommended on another forum for the Prokofiev.

23. drh

drh Talking Machine

It was an experimental recording. It also is not the sole example of Toscanini in stereo; the preceding regular b'cast performance, featuring Rossini's Barber of Seville overture and Tchaikowsky's Pathetique Sym., was also recorded in stereo and has been released on Music & Arts. An oddity about the Tchaikowsky: a 4-minute or so segment is missing from the stereo tape. Evidently somebody or other snipped it out for a demonstration reel for some of the RCA suits and then lost it. :cussing:

24. coopmv

Looks like Bang Bang has been trying his best to emulate Horowitz. No?

25. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

you're on safer ground with a tube preamp.i've used a 'modern' (Anthem) tube preamp off & on for some years.the small dual triodes it uses (6922s) can last a long time & if you buy current production tubes they aren't expensive.i bought my Anthem used & it still has the Sovteks that it came with.if you buy NOS tubes it can get expensive & of course big power tubes are more expensive than small preamp tubes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.