Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #44)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have three complete sets: Pinnock, Hogwood and Mackerras and a few other late symphonies set. I just added the Bruno Walter set a few weeks ago but can probably add this Krips' set as well.

2. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Higher the Kilobytes Per Second the better the quality. KPS
    But it's also a LOT more bandwidth which maybe the provider can't provide?
    Remember everything you do on your computer over the web Guys takes away part of the bandwidth.
    Also maybe those places don't provide large bandwidth to our part of the world.
    Just a guess

3. coopmv

This internet tuner may share the same wireless network with up to 3 other computers, which obviously use up some of the bandwidths. It is like a standalone computer itself ...

4. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Isn't Spotify all 320 kbps? It struck me when recently re-listening to a playlist of Kinks singles that I'd compiled before installing Spotify just how inferior the sound quality on YouTube is in general. Of course, it all depends who's doing the uploading to begin with, which varies a lot from user to user.

5. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

Yep that was me. I have a different CD but it is Klara Kormendi playing Satie on Naxos so Ill assume its got the same recordings. Fantastic playing and reference quality sound.

----
    Currently giving this symphony a first listen- Bruckner 7, Gunter Wand/Berliner

[​IMG]

6. Tangledupinblue

Andsnes has played Bartok on at least one other CD, this excellent recording - are you familiar with this one? Challenging but very rewarding and often beautiful music (especially the first sonata) if you're prepared to give it a go - I think it's safe to say if you enjoy the second sonata, you can handle pretty much anything Bartok throws at you:

[​IMG]

7. coopmv

Pardon my ignorance. What kind of subsription price does Spotify charge? I am actually also interested in listening to news broadcast in English over some overseas radio stations to get a non-American perspective. I think the American media is quite often pretty biased as they want people to see things their way ...

8. Tangledupinblue

It's $9.99 per month for a Spotify premium account, although you get a 30 day free trial (although I somehow seem to have got lucky, because I'm still able to download music for free long after the 30-day period has expired) - the advantages being no ads, no limit to how many times you can play music, and you can save and play them offline which saves up a lot of bandwidth.

Can't help with the news broadcast I'm afraid - Spotify only plays music that has already been uploaded, it doesn't do live radio broadcasts.

9. coopmv

Thanks for the info. The only downloads I have ever done were a few anniversary concerts by the Royal Concertgebouw, which were free. I am generally not a fan of download. The reason is simple, as I already have a pretty sizable classical music library and I doubt any of the download services will add much values.

As for news broadcast, I think BBC is fine.

10. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Great recording/performance.

11. Tangledupinblue

Well, I use Spotify primarily as a time and money saver, and a means for checking out new (to me) music. But it's not practical in the long run, because although you can make playlists and save them onto a portable media player, the sound quality and options are limited (for starters, I'm sure there's a limit to how much music you can save, but I can't recall what it is) and you can't burn it onto CD (and I wouldn't want to, because I still have moral standards and believe if possible that the recording artists who spent months if not years to get their music on record should receive their dues). It's more reliable and user-friendly for pop and jazz music, due to the inherent problem in classical music that there are so many different recordings for the same piece (and much of what you're looking for simply won't be available) and if you search for a work that has several movements (like, say, Brahms' 4th) it will often show them in the wrong order, or with some missing.

12. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

You have to get Szell. There's a Great Performances remastering of 28, 33 and 35 (plus other works), a single layer SACD of 39 and 40.

13. john greenwood

When Spotify was introduced in the U.S., there was a debate as to how much of it was 320 kbps. They claimed they were moving to all 320 kbps, but I do not know if they have done so. MOG, I believe, is all 320.

14. john greenwood

Agreed. I have the disc, and I'm still working on it. The sonata for solo violin is gorgeous though.

15. john greenwood

Spotify and MOG are not primarily download services (although with a premium account you can do quasi-downloading). It's closer to a radio where you can select precisely what you want to hear. They license music from most of the majors and quite a few of the minors. You use their search engine to find what you want and play it. One of the reasons I won't buy the Krips set is I can listen to it at 320 kbps on MOG at any time. Probably on Spotify as well, although Spotify still issues with UMG releases.

16. john greenwood

As per my most recent post (and many others) Spotify has a peculiar license arrangement with UMG that apparently does not permit streaming of longer tracks. MOG does not have that problem (although in one instance I ran across a similar proble MOG had with a smaller label). I agree the search engine is a PITA for classical, but I have not had any problems with incorrect track order.

17. john greenwood

Jeepers - maybe I should sell my Sony Szell SACDs. I have 5 and the average going price for used copies on Amazon is about $75 a piece.

18. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

010.JPG
    i got this 4-CD set recently for $5.25.i have never really gotten into Schumann,but i think these recordings have changed that
    somewhat.recorded 1967-73,when Kempff was in his 70s,these are stong performances.

19. John S

John S Forum Resident

Added to my wish list. I am way over my music budget this month. Plus -- I never thought I'd say this -- I've got a small stack of unlistened to music I need to get to.

BTW, even though limited, my experience with Virgin Classics has been very positive.
    Thanks for the recommendation!

20. John S

John S Forum Resident

Also, you now have only one chance to edit. So if you need to change something, you've got to get it right the first time.

21. john greenwood

No you can edit more than once if you click on more options (I think that's the name of the button).

Testing now.

Second edit.

22. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I'm listening to Dorati Conducts Satie on my commute home. It's the first time I've heard Satie orchestral music. Very fun music

23. John S

John S Forum Resident

Oh, thanks....
    yes it works
    thanks again! (third edit)

24. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

There's no "e" in "awful, either.:)

25. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

[​IMG]

Picked this CD up at my local record store for $2.99. The MLP branding caught my eye, and a quick scan of Amazon on my phone showed that it's not on the MLP boxed set, so I gave it a try. Man, am I glad I did. Great stuff, and the closing Shelomo is full of tragedy--I haven't yet checked to see if it was composed before or after the Holocaust, but no matter--the Hebrew melodies and sadness permeate it. Recommended, and used copies are cheap on Amazon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.