Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #45)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John S

John S Forum Resident

Congratulations! I am green with envy, and I will be buying the CD. :edthumbs:

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Mengelberg's recording of Les Preludes, nobody does it better.
    [​IMG]

3. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

i have these on a MCA CD reissue set from 1989.No. 1 is with the Berlin Opera Orchestra/Georg Ludwig Jochum
    & No. 2 with the Vienna State Opera Orchestra/Victor Desarzens.a date of 11/60 is given for No. 2.i remember these as being pretty good.

WobblyWilly likes this.
  4. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I already own 7 of the 55 but I plan on buying it when it comes out.

5. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Went & dug out my copy w/newer label. American Legion Hall still in use. Next door to the Hollywood Bowl. I wonder if this is the room Walter used?

Hollywood American Legion.jpg

6. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

After recommending this earlier today, I was craving it. Just listened to the Dante Sonata, now enjoying the 6 Chants Polonais de Chopin. Next up, Funerailles.

7. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

We shot a bunch of Key and Peele sketches in there

8. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

006.JPG
    Command 12002 S,a 2-LP set.recorded in the Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall,Pittsburgh,4/68.engineering supervision:
    C.R.Fine.recording engineer:Theodore Gosman.stereo mastering:George Piros.according to the notes 7 microphones were used
    in recording to 35 mm film,then they transferred to a quarter-inch tape from which they cut the lacquer.somewhere in the process
    Dolby noise reduction was used.sounds pretty good,but not outstanding.i also have the Symphony on a MCA CD reissue from 1989,
    which sounds a bit better than the LPs.i like the performances a lot.

9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

"Key & Peele sketches" ?

10. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

I beleive that it was reported that Richter / and perhaps the other instrumentals as well were not exactly happy as to how this Triple Concerto recording took.

11. Collector Man

Reading some of Lebrecht's articles , he tends to completely wanders off what he is supposed to be talking about.

12. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

by the way,at the July 1945 Potsdam Conference in Germany, Sargent Eugene List played Chopin,Shostakovich & Tchaikovsky for
    Truman,Churchill & Stalin.President Truman acted as page-turner & also played a Paderewski minuet himself.

WobblyWilly likes this.
  13. Collector Man

Feel welcome to fire away! That is what, I am about to do. Hearing a concert broadcast what he did with a Mahler 7th Symphony .. I rated it as dreadful. And that was before, I found out who the conductor was..right at the end of the performance. Take the final movement which is considered banal - by some. Here is Mahler being pseudo -classical, mocking and answering his critics at that time who accused Mahler of being an anti classical composer.
    The Score at that point, requires a sweeping boldness, a forward momentum and an inner confidence about how it will turn out. Rattle instead: messes - slows up- speeds up; in any manner of fashion. Fiddling here, pulling this or that phrasing around...you lose patience. You imagine a depiction of someone obsessively crocheting away... not conducting. You want to scream "Leave the damn thing alone, you stupid interfering fool! Stop trying to put false crutches under something that can stand on its own two feet -just for your own misplaced sense of self glorification "
    Since his Birmingham days , Rattles' work has slid downwards. I notice some of the boxes of his conducting , even quite recent BPO material are been put out at truly unmistakeable 'dump' prices (in the marketplace). It would appear, it shows a trend that the glam mystique of a Rattle /BPO combination, is wearing off with collectors.

14. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Sketch comedy show

15. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

thanks for the liszt recommendations...i think new horizons(for me) are opening up!

16. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I have been watching the new BBC series called 'The Sound and The Fury' - it's a series about 20th Century classical music. Really interesting stuff and lots of great footage. Last night was mostly about Stockhausen and Messiaen. Amazing to think Messiaen's premier of Quartet for the End of Time was in a Nazi POW camp where he had been sent.

Highly recommended if you can catch it where you are.

17. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

You're welcome! Let us know which ones you try and what you think of them?

18. WobblyWilly

WobblyWilly Forum Resident

Thank you for your insight. As vanhooserd notes: No. 1 is Berlin Opera Orchestra/Georg Ludwig Jochum & No. 2 with the Vienna State Opera Orchestra/Victor Desarzens. I have a strong feeling this was recorded on the day I was born...

19. WobblyWilly

WobblyWilly Forum Resident

Thanks! I'll definitely keep an eye out.

20. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

For the Beethoven Triple Concerto, this fine 2006 recording should not be overlooked. The three soloists have experience playing together as a Trio. It can be had currently for as little as $3.06 new. Personally I think there is a lot more than $3 worth on the CD. Zinman, Bronfman, Shaham & Mork.

ZinmanTripleConcerto.jpg

21. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Are those arrangements of Chopin songs? While a few of them are a bit over the top, on the whole I love Liszt's song arrangements, and it's not surprising he did so many Schubert ones, given his love for the composer (which is quite apparent with some of Liszt's melodies and modulations showing a clear Schubert influence).

22. Collector Man

As one would say for any such production "What a cast!". And moreover, perfectly amply suitable for the task.

dale 88 likes this.
  23. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

more new Schubert for me: Philips two-fer of the last four quartets by the Quartetto Italiano.
    [​IMG]

first listen, quite good. The Busch Quartet is a tad better but the sound quality is obviously much better on the Quartetto Italiano though it seems during Death and the Maiden there is some odd background booming or thumping sounds.

24. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

003.JPG
    Command Classics CC 11026SD,released 1964.this seems to be the only Barenboim recording released by Command.the 'Hammerklavier' performed
    by an "internationally acclaimed pianist".

25. John S

John S Forum Resident

I haven't noticed any noises on my copy, but I'll listen again soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.