Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #46)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Have you heard this? The first movement does not have the extremes of the dynamics quite right but the rest is terrific. The neat thing is that it has both finale versions.....Scherzo Andante with three hammer strokes and the Andante Scherzo with two.

511o5eKFxlL__SY300_.jpg

2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

By 1959 it will be .7 mil. The only copies of this set that might require the larger microgroove stylus is the earlier RCA edition.

3. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I have a copy of the Turnabout lyra concerti on a German bootleg label called Concerto Royale. It has Nos 1, 2, 4, and 5. They're interesting enough that I've listened to them a couple of times.

4. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Is this based solely on the 1958 appearence of stereo recordings? I ask because I've found suggestions online that a unilateral conversion to .7mil cutting heads around 1958 isn't correct. That between 1958 and 1968 it could go either way and that earlier dates in that time frame can very well still be 1-mil grooves. That's why I asked about a specific label/recording. I was hoping to start listening to this this morning but other things got in the way. I'll probably try both and report back any differences.

Here's a thread I started awhile ago with some interesting info from Lenco Heaven website in this regard;

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-term-microgroove-and-actual-groove-size.315510/

5. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Been spinning and enjoying this Shubert Quintet the last two weeks based on recommendations on here, purchased from an amazon seller who may post on here. Haven't got to the Symphony #5 yet.

[​IMG]

john greenwood likes this.
  6. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

[​IMG]
    Now diving into my newest acquisition....

John S likes this.
  7. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Nor I. Just checked my database and see I have nothing else with that pianist.

8. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Volodos's Rach III is among my favorites.

9. John S

John S Forum Resident

For whatever reason...lack of sales, disappointing artistic success, no money, or the sale of the label to Concord...Zander's Mahler project with the Philharmonia was abandoned, leaving M2, M7, M8 and DLvdE unrecorded. David Hurwitz excoriates this M6 in painful detail, giving it a 6/8 score. While this peformance isn't at the top of my M6 heap, I think he was a bit harsh with his review. But whatever you think of this series, the one thing worth the price of admission is Zander's lecture discs that accompany each symphony. They are very entertaining and informative.

10. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

I wonder how much duplication there is with the DG/Archiv All-Baroque and Mozart 111 boxes...

11. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

And I have always wondered what the difference between DG and Archiv is.

12. drh

drh Talking Machine

I think it's the same as the difference between RCA Victor and Bluebird--that is, as I understand things, Archiv was established as a DG sublabel (albeit for early and baroque music, not popular music and budget classical).

13. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Quite shocked TBH that a fellow CMC regular didn't know my second favourite classical work of all time until two weeks ago, but then again I'm sure there's plenty of great classical music that I have yet to discover myself. Whatever, you've been in for a real treat!

14. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Archiv is indeed DG's imprint for early music - similar to the way Decca has L'Oiseau Lyre or Warner/Teldec has Das Alte Werk.

15. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

So, $123 go me a bunch of EMI ICON boxes from Presto:

Bruno Walter - The Early Recordings - 9 CDs
    Eugen Jochum - The Complete EMI Recordings - 20 CDs
    Caludio Arrau - Virtuoso Philosopher of the Piano - 12 CDs
    Sviatoslav Richter - The Complete EMI Recordings - 14 CDs
    Charles Mackerras - Master of Orchestral Texture - 5 CDs

It's like drinking from a fire hose.

NickySee, Robin L and Urban Spaceman like this.
  16. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Archive tends to have only HIP recordings while DG generally has the non-HIP recordings.

17. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD1 - works of Rameau from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

18. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

The second movement of the quintet on this version very much deserves the "sublime" description.

19. George P

I wish they'd hired Mark Obert-Thorn or Seth Winner or Marston to do the transfers for this set.

Both excellent, the best Beethoven performances available by Arrau, IMO. When he was in his prime.

Superb!!

goldwax likes this.
  20. George P

Thanks!! I have the Fournier Bach suites on that label, but nothing else.

21. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

007.JPG
    RCA Victor LM-2177,released 2/58.unlike some of my mono 'Shaded Dogs',this one sounds very good.recorded in Kingsway Hall
    by the Decca team of producer James Walker & engineer Kenneth Wilkinson on 6/3-6/57 & 6/13/57.released in Living Stereo 4/59;
    released on London Stereo Treasury STS-15179 9/72.

22. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

I will look out for this!

23. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Played side 1 with both the .7mil and 1mil styli. The 1mil tip on this 1959 release was the clear winner. With the .7mil surface noise was pronounced, there was unbearable distortion in loud parts and the overall fidelity was lacking. With the 1 mil there was an immediately noticeable improvement in fidelity, less surface noise and tolerable distortion during loud passages.

24. George P

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now enjoying this Sokolov CD, from the CD boxset (at right) that arrived last week.

25. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

There is not much by Monteux that I do not like. His style seemed to fit every kind of music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.