Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #47)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Indeed, I just encountered that error and have to resort to manually locate this thread ...

2. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

I have seen the listing and playing details for this strange release. on a music website.
    IMHO It is the biggest crazy example of modern vinyl - insanity, I have ever seen -advertised. It is the antithesis of some 16 inch 78 Rpm discs I once saw. Heaven help -the tone-arm horizonal tracking angle error -they produced. Suggesting some people out there - will 'not let go'..of a a particular technological physical limitation with vinyl reproduction. Imagine someone inadvertantly putting the stylus on the outer edge of the record to start- in the run-out grooves ! I suspect to stop a 'stylus throw off' , there would have to be probably a good margin for 'end of side termination' on that same much faster speeding outer edges of the record -than at its label area. The grooves would also be ,so to speak -'back to front'. One has to then ask "what the hell is such a release trying to prove ? " Using the final climatic moments of the short duration of the Works actually performed : to come - 'where the record groove linear speed under the styus is highest 'at the record's edge.
    It reminds me of those quaint Cassette recorders that had 2 speed options..1 7/8 rpm and 3 3/4 rpm.
    P.S I do have a B.I.C version of those 2 speed cassette recorders..

3. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

For me, it is "fortepianos in anything".... hearing that "ponky-ponk" sound!
    I can recall a recording of Peter Serkin using a fortepiano. Together, the ascoutic and actual fortepiano used- made it sound as it it was some old termite ridden instrument being recorded from a distance, with the fortepiano being down in some corner of a big echo-filled ballroom

4. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Absolutely: the string quartets are where Holmboe goes from being an interesting Twentieth Century composer to being a master. It's my second favourite cycle after Shostakovich.

That said, I think that other of Holmboe's small chamber works (such as the Preludes for Sinfonietta) are as good as the string quartets. His symphonies, by contrast, are pleasant but hardly remarkable.

5. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

1057999.jpeg None of that will happen. I already got a couple pressings mad at NSC in Detroit with backward running techniques, there is even one with an R/X techniqu, means two trax pressed together depending where the stylus goes down you hear Tune A or Tune B..lol
    That may be nonsense, but it does not sound any different when playing. The Bolero starts o very soft and ends very loud. Since the space for the bass decreases towards the end of every 12" pressing it makes sense to press the soft part at the end where there is far less dynamics than vice versa. The TACET pressings are wonderful. I got a Tube Only cut from Symphony 7 Beethoven and the dynamics are beyond anything I heard in that regard.
    So buy with confidence.
    Got new CD by TACET Chopin by Evgeny Koroliev, but have not hard it yet.
    ATM. I am enjoying the second part of MUSIK SPRACHE DER WELT 10 CD Box on DG with old recordings from the 50ies by Fricsay, Lehmann, Jochum and others. Wonderful stuff and as good as the first Box set from a few years ago...
    1058004.jpeg

6. John S

John S Forum Resident

I remember having one of those concentric grooved LPs as Baron describes above. At first with the first few playings, I got groove "A" and didn't believe there was any other grooved information on that side. Eventually, my tonearm found groove "B" for the second program. Until now I had completely forgotten this minor chapter of my 20+ year vinyl experiences, and I can't remember what the record or music was. I do remember the second side being normal with only one continuous groove.

I also remember another funny thing during those days. With the proliferation of auto LP changers, most people never noticed or heard the last final groove of any LP. But there was a certain James Gang LP (Rides Again?) where one could hear Joe Walsh saying over and over on the final groove "turn me over..turn me over..turn me over" on side 1 and "play me again..play me again..play me again" on side 2.

7. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now finishing up this mannered reading of the Diabelli's. I couldn't get into it, as it lacks forward momentum and overall coherence. Not recommended. Rudolf Serkin's reading remains my top choice for this work.

8. George P

[​IMG]

Now listening to this CD from Sokolov. Same problems that marred the Diabellis are present here. Sigh.

9. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I am happy with the fortepiano for Mozart's piano quartets.

10. john greenwood

Monty Python's Matching Tie and Handkerchief used concentric grooves on Side 2. (Of course both sides of the album were labelled Side 2.)

11. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Ah yes, the three-side LP, all labelled side two.

[​IMG]

(Not a classical LP, but still a classic LP.)

12. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Not Kovachevich?:D

13. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I want to thank the poster for bringing up today's re-release of the Bernstein/NYPO recording of Le Sacre du Printemps. Now, if they would only give his incredible performance of the Gershwin Rhapsody a new vinyl reissue, I'd really feel great.

14. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

d11b419328a0bc46f47fe110_L__SX300_.jpg 51ZsA2kYA4L__SX300_.jpg

Playing this from the original jacket collection. Anyone else have this set?

15. George P

He's good, but Serkin is my fave.

16. sgb

sgb Senior Member

17. john greenwood

No, but I'll be listening to the Serenade for Strings tonight while watching Balanchine's marvelous choreography. Later in the evening - The Firebird.

18. john greenwood

Do you have the SACD?

By the way, for those who download, HDTracks has a 96/24 version of Bernstein's "Sacre."

19. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Although I haven't heard/don't own that CD, the cover looks familiar. Hasn't the same orchestra and conductor done many other recordings of Dvorak orchestral works (including the much underrated/overlooked symphonic poems - I remember at least one CD with the same portrait) for Naxos?

20. john greenwood

Prestoclassical has the Bruno Walter box (the stereo Sony recordings AFAIK) for $86 plus shipping. Probably going to pick that up.

21. George P

Dayum!! Thanks for the heads up!

22. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Fantastic covers, though!

23. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

What's the title? Or do you have a link?

24. john greenwood

goldwax likes this.
  25. john greenwood

George P likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.