Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #48)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now listening to this new-ish CD. I usually adore Cherkassky's readings, but the Rach Paganini Rhapsody on this is slowed down so much that it offers very little excitement. The same can be said for the Prokofiev Sonata, especially the finale. This great pianists best work lies elsewhere.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD featuring the Rach Paganini Rhapsody that I absolutely love ...

[​IMG]

3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Jarvi looks like Bill Hicks on that cover. :laugh:

4. coopmv

This is a 1981 recording ...

5. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

That is a very cool cover!!

Graphyfotoz likes this.
  6. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Agreed, if arguments were not in place. There is nothing wrong support a position if the assessments are based on facts. As mentioned in my reply you selected this type of reaction in the first place and now you go out of it. That's fine.

7. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

"I'm right, you are wrong" is not an argument. And I am sure no one else on this thread wants to see it. So I am done with it.

8. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Of course it is not, if not supported adequately. Not the case here. It seems you do not want in any way to elaborate new information that might change your view of things. I agree to end it. And I ll try not to mention LAPO, Dudamel or Wang again.

9. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I am trying very hard to be polite about this but you are making it difficult.

RiRiIII likes this.
  10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

bahrami.jpg
    this Iranian pianist was unknown to me until i checked this CD out of the library.i found the playing of both pianist & orchestra to be
    briskly enjoyable.

RiRiIII likes this.
  11. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Yes, that's an alternative.

Critics' views - especially when they're evaluating new records - sem to be a little too often guided by the interest to hear something Totally Awesome New. I've bought some records strongly recommended by the press and became slightly later disillusioned with them.

On the other hand, in a concert hall, it's the critic who sits in the hall with the other listeners. His standpoint isn't the one of the visiting conductor or soloist. So I don't know... perhaps both surveys could be used, in combination.

12. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Look, there is absolutely no reason to fight over the web this way. I interpeted you response style in a certain manner and choosed to react correspondingly. If you feel that my writing was incosistent with the spirit of this particular discussion and, thus, not appropriate, I sincerely apologize without hesitation.

Alex

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  13. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Quintet for Piano & Wind Instruments K452, Trio K498 "Kegelstatt", Adagio & Rondo K517
    James Levine, piano & Ensemble Wien-Berlin (Deutsche Grammophon)

[​IMG]

14. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Curious - is the "Kegelstatt performed by piano and winds or is there a viola (as written)?

By the way, Levine and Ensemble Wien-Berlin teamed up for a wonderful album of Poulenc chamber music.

15. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

They did also the Beethoven Piano Quintet and both are paired in a DVD as well.

16. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Yeah - pairing the Mozart and Beethoven is the norm, I would say. I have Perahia and friends doing those two.

My understanding is that there aren't many other works for that combination.

17. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I used to collect these pairings. I like a lot the Brendel and friends 80s recording for Philips.

18. coopmv

Need some help here from those of you who have this set. I have looked over the listing of the 60 CD's and there are really only the JS Bach Cello Suites by Anner Bylsma that are worth getting. Anner Bylsma is a terrific cellist and I do not yet have the Bach Cello Suites by him. But other than those 2 CD's, I have not found many other compelling CD's I must have. To be honest, I also am not familiar with L'Archibudelli and Bruno Weil and there are many CD's in this set by them ...

[​IMG]

19. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Stuart,

I think Anner Blysma performs in every recording credited to L'Archibudelli

http://www.answers.com/topic/l-archibudelli

a sample of L'Archibudelli on youtube:)

20. coopmv

Thanks. So Anner Blysma was a member of L'Archibudelli, some chamber ensemble. Bruno Weil is still an unknown to me ...

21. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I like Wiel's Schubert. I can't find any videos of performances that I'm sure are in the set. If you search youtube for wiel vivarte schubert there are some videos. I know some of them aren't in the set. I'm not sure about others.

22. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Breakfast with Munch/BSO famous recording of excerpts from Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet. It was recorded in 1957. Issued originally as mono (LM-2110), and later in RCA's Victrola series in stereo (VICS-1412). BMG Japan, in their massive 2006 Munch series, reissued on CD all 11 numbers, paired with Prokofiev's 2nd Piano Concerto with Munch's niece as soloist (Schweitzer).

The Red Seal LM record had a gorgeous 10 page booklet illustrated with the "Eugene Karlin" drawings.

[​IMG]

23. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/The-Decca-Sound-The-Analogue-Years/hnum/2589879

1.CD Saint-Saens: Klavierkonzert Nr. 1; Symphonische Dichtungen (Pascal Roge, Philharmonia Orchestra, Charles Dutoit / 1980)
    2.CD Bruckner: Symphonie Nr. 6 (Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Georg Solti / 1979)
    3.CD Schostakowitsch: Symphonie Nr. 4 (London Philharmonic Orchestra, Bernard Haitink / 1979)
    4.CD Debussy: Children's Corner; Preludes Heft 1 (Pascal Roge / 1978)
    5.CD Sibelius: Pelleas & Melisande op. 46; Der Sturm op. 109 (Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Horst Stein / 1979)
    6.CD Prokofieff: Symphonie Nr. 2; Die Liebe zu den drei Orangen-Suite (London Philharmonic Orchestra, Walter Weller / 1978)
    7.CD Bartok: Orchestersuiten Nr. 1 & 2; 2 Bilder op. 20; Enescu: Rumänische Rhapsodie Nr. 1 (Detroit Symphony Orchestra, Antal Dorati / 1978)
    8.CD Prokofieff: Symphonie Nr. 5; Rimsky-Korssakoff: Russische Ostern-Ouvertüre; Capriccio espagnol (Concertgebouw Orchestra, Lorin Maazel/ 1977)
    9.CD Violinsonaten von Debussy & Franck; Ravvel: Introduktion & Allegro (Kyung-Wha Chung, Radu Lupu, Melos Ensemble / 1977)
    10.CD Tschaikowsky: Manfred-Symphonie; Valse-scherzo (Philharmonia Orchestra, Vladimir Ashkenazy / 1977)
    11.CD Gershwin: Ein Amerikaner in Paris; Copland: Appalachian Spring; Lincoln Portrait; Kraft: Contextures (Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra, Zubin Mehta / 1976)
    12.CD Wolf-Ferrari: Il Segreto di Susanna (Maria Chiara, Bernd Weikl, Covent Garden Orchestra, Lamberto Gardelli / 1976)
    13.CD Alicia de Larrocha - Werke für Klavier & Orchester von Montsalvatge, Surinach, Falla, Faure (Alicia de Larrocha, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Rafael Frühbeck de Burgos / 1976)
    14.CD Schostakowtisch: Streichquartette Nr. 8, 9,15 (Fitzwilliam Quartet / 1975)
    15.CD Schubert: Rosamunde; Ouvertüren von Schumann & Weber (Wiener Philharmoniker, Karl Münchinger / 1974)
    16.CD Strawinsky: Le Sacre du Printemps; Ravel: Bolero; Schönberg: Variationen für Orchester (Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Georg Solti / 1974)
    17.CD Grieg: Klavierkonzert op. 16; Schumann: Klavierkonzert op. 54 (Radu Lupu, London Symphony Orchestra, Andre Previn / 1973)
    18.CD Haydn: Symphonien Nr. 94, 100, 104 (Philharmonia Hungarica, Antal Dorati / 1972)
    19./20.CD Schumann: Szenen aus Goethes Faust; Mozart: Symphonie Nr. 40 (English Chamber Orchestra, Benjamin Britten / 1972)
    21.CD Walton: Violinkonzert; Strawinsky: Violinkonzert (Kyung-Wha Chung, London Symphony Orchestra, Andre Prein / 1972)
    22.CD Chopin: Etüden (Vladimir Ashkenazy, Klavier / 1972)
    23. CD Offenbach: Le Papillon; Massenet: Le Cid (London Symphony Orchestra, Richard Bonynge / 1972)
    24. CD Holst: The Planets; Saint-Saens: Symphonie Nr. 3 "Orgelsymponie" (Los Angeles PO, Zubin Mehta / 1971)
    25. CD Scriabin: Klavierkonzert; Prometheus für Klavier & Orchester; Poeme de l'extase (Vladimir Ashkenazy, London Philharmonic Orchestra, Zubin Mehta / 1971)
    26. CD Dvorak: Der Wassermann; Mein Heim; Die Mittagshexe; Die Hussiten; Das goldene Spinnrad (London Symphony Orchestra, Istvan Kertesz)
    27. CD Bloch: Schelomo; Voice in the Wilderness; Rimsky-Korssakoff: Capriccio espagnol (Janos Starker, Israel Philharmonic Orchestra, Zubin Mehta / 1969)
    28. CD Mendelssohn: Sextett op. 110; Borodin: Quintett c-moll; Berwald: Septett (Wiener Oktett / 1968)
    29. CD Mendelssohn: Symphonien Nr. 3 & 4 (London Symphony Orchestra, Claudio Abbado / 1968)
    30. CD Verdi: Requiem (Joan Sutherland, Luciano Pavarotti, Wiener Philharmoniker, Georg Solti / 1967)
    31. CD Mahler: Symphonie Nr. 2 (London Symphony Orchestra, Georg Solti / 1966)
    32. CD Beethoven: Symphonie Nr. 9 (Joan Sutherland, Wiener Philharmoniker, Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt / 1965)
    33. CD Britten: Symphonie für Cello & Orchester; Haydn: Cellokonzert (Mstislav Rostropovich, English Chamber Orchestra, Benjamin Britten / 1964)
    34. CD Kodaly: Hary Janos; Tänze aus Galanta; Der Pfau; Der Pfau-Variationen (London Symphony Orchestra, Istvan Kertesz / 1964)
    35. CD Sibelius: Symphonien Nr. 1 & 4; Karelia-Suite (Wiener Philharmoniker, Lorin Maazel / 1963)
    36. CD Mozart: Serenaden KV 361 & 388 (London Wind Soloists / 1962)
    37. CD Bruch: Violinkonzert; Hindemith: Violinkonzert (David Oistrach, London Symphony Orchestra, Paul Hindemith, Jascha Horenstein)
    38. CD Brahms: Klavierkonzert Nr. 1; Mozart: Klavierkonzert Nr. 27 (Clifford Curzon, London Symphony Orchestra, George Szell / 1962)
    39. CD Herold: La File mal gardee; Gounod: Ballettmusik aus Faust (Covent Garden Orchestra, John Lanchberry / 1962)
    40. CD Martinu: Etüde für Streicher; Konzert für Pauken & Bläser; Honegger: Symphonie Nr. 2 (Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Ernest Ansermet / 1961)
    41./42. CD Verdi: Otello (Renata Tebaldi, Mario del Monaco, Wiener Philharmoniker, Herbert von Karajan / 1961)
    43.CD J. Strauss II: Geschichten aus 1001 Nacht; Geschichten aus dem Wienerwald; Dorfschwalben aus Österreich; Frühlingsstimmen (Hilde Gueden, Wiener Philharmoniker, Willy Boskovsky, Joseph Krips / 1961)
    44.CD Tschaikowsky: Schwanensee (Ausz.); Lecoq: Mamzelle Angot (Concertgebouw Orchestra, Anatole Fistoulari / 1961)
    45.CD Rossini: Ouvertüren; Mendelssohn: Violinkonzert op. 64 (Ruggiero Ricci, London Symphony Orchestra, Rumon Gamba / 1960)
    46./47.CD Puccini: La Boheme (Renata Tebaldi, Carlo Bergonzi, Accademia di Santa Cecilia Orchestra, Tullio Serafin / 1959)
    47.CD Sibelius: Symphonie Nr. 2; Dvorak: Symphonie Nr. 7 (London Symphony Orchestra, Pierre Monteux / 1958)
    48.CD Schubert: Symphonien Nr. 8 & 9 (London Symphony Orchestra, Joseph Krips / 1958)
    49.CD Tschaikowsky: 1812-Ouvertüre; Capriccio italien; Slawischer Marsch; Rachmaninoff: Klavierkonzert Nr. 2 (Julius Katchen, London Symphony Orchestra, Kenneth Alwyn, Georg Solti / 1958)
    51.CD Grieg: Peer Gynt; Klavierkonzert op. 16 (Clifford Curzon, London Symphony Orchestra, Oivin Fjelstad / 1958)
    52.CD Ravel: L'Enfant et les sortileges;Ma mere l'oye-Suite (Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Ernest Ansermet / 1954)
    53.CD "Decca's first stereo recordings" - Rimsky-Korssakoff: Antar; Glasunow: Stenka Rasin; Werke von Balakireff & Liadov (Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Ernest Ansermet / 1947)
    54.CD Mono-Version der CD 53

24. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

RiRiIII likes this.
  25. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

It is a fine performance and awesome recording. I had gotten the expensive SHM-SACD of this one costing more than half of this box' cost...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.