Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #48)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

An essential box. My all time favorite Hindemith works are his Kammermusic 1-7 actually 7 concerti for various instruments and one for 5 winds, as recorded by the Royal Concertgebouw O. under their former and most adventurous musical director, Riccardo Chailly:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mik and John S like this.
  2. John S

John S Forum Resident

Hindemith was a musician's musician; apparently, he could play any instrument in the orchestra very well. His 'home' was the viola. He premiered his friend William Walton's viola concerto back in the thirties, IIRC.

3. John S

John S Forum Resident

Thanks, I just ordered that too, plus an Italian disc with the trombone sonata on it. Gotta have that...:)
    Now I promise I am absolutely DONE.

4. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

LOL

John S likes this.
  5. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Got this today. Beautiful recording of a beautiful work. Not sure about that cover though!

6. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Before I read your comment, my first thought was what an odd cover

7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Somehow, the Qualiton website did not look any different the last time I checked about a week ago ...

8. coopmv

If you like Scriabin piano works, I think you should give this box a serious consideration ...

9. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

Currently listening to this. Ashkenazy is not known for his Mahler, but he recorded the whole cycle with the Sydney symphony.

[​IMG]

10. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Couldn't find the Chailly version in either Spotify or MOG, so I am listening to Abbado's version with the Berlin Philharmonic. Very engaging music.

11. coopmv

Now playing the following SACD, a recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

12. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Colin Davis woke up in the last few years of his life and produced some very fine symphonic recordings to rival his orchestral issues from the late 50s to late 70s. (He was a better opera conductor IMO.) However he did seem to have a special affinity for the number 4 as his late recordings of the Sibelius 4 and the Nielsen 4 are very special and on SACD to boot. The Sibelius Sym 4 and Tapiola was the best performance of his old Boston Sym series although the new recording is quite different from that.

sibelius4davis.jpg

nielsen4&5davis.jpg

13. coopmv

Now playing the following SACD for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

14. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

Listening to Disc 1 from the Leon Fleisher album collection...Schubert's Piano Sonata D960.

Im not overly familiar with this particular sonata, but it is certainly a nice performance.

15. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

16. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Looks interesting, although Le Bourgeois gentilhomme is not my favorite Strauss

17. John S

John S Forum Resident

Hmmmm....[​IMG]

18. Casagrande

Seriously? One remark about an obscure Mahler cycle by Ashkenazy (without any comment on the quality even) and it makes you consider buying it? You're seriously addicted. ;)

19. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I used to be that way with Mahler. I've managed to resist buying more for a couple of years. The last thing I bought was the Chailly box. Even though I had been telling myself no more Mahler, I couldn't resist since I had the 3rd and 9th and loved them.

20. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I love this Chailly cycle!

21. heman__

heman__ Forum Resident

I am a bit that way with Mahler...Probably a little more than a bit.

The performance by Ashkenazy and the Sydney Symphony was ok - very nice through the lighter sections and certainly had its moments, but overall there are performances that I prefer.

22. Casagrande

I'm the same. But I mostly buy recordings of single symphonies rather than complete cycles. I have at least ten different recordings of Mahler 4.

23. coopmv

I am more than done with Mahler after 5 cycles. He is no Bach, Beethoven or Handel, whose works, if they are well performed, I will never hesitate to add to my collection ...

24. coopmv

I am not familiar with Leon Fleisher period. I just bought the RCA collection of Byron Janis and have enjoyed the first 2 recordings. I also have the original RCA box of William Kapell, which is excellent. I prefer these two American pianists over van Cliburn ...

25. coopmv

As I am into early music and period instruments performance, I found the following interesting article on Bernard Haitink, by none other than Norman Lebrecht, who happens to have a personal vendetta against HvK. Here is the link to the article and the various reader comments ...

http://www.artsjournal.com/slippedd...peaks-his-mind-on-early-music-conductors.html
    Bernard Haitink speaks his mind on early music conductors

June 4, 2013 by Norman Lebrecht
    The venerable Bernard Haitink, who is performing a Brahms cycle in Germany with the Chamber Orchestra of Europe, has been talking about his colleagues in what is now know as the historical awareness performance movement.
    In an interview with the Frankfurt Rundschau (not online), he said he had “great respect” for Sir John Eliot Gardiner. He is, he added, “a very serious man. It’s good if someone tries something new. For me, making music is difficult enough. You don’t have to make it even more difficult for yourself.”
    On Gustav Leonhardt: ”He, too, is a very serious man. A bit dry and fixed in his convictions. But that is typically Dutch.”
    On Nikolaus Harnoncourt: ”At first, the (Concertgebouw) orchestra found it difficult and the musicians were resistant because they didn’t understand his approach. But Harnoncourt is so charismatic and could communicate so clearly what he wanted that he won their respect. He is really convinced and convincing and he’s not just following a faddish fashion. That’s what makes him so likeable.”

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.