Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #48)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Finally getting to the following set, which arrived months ago. Now playing CD1 for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

2. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

I love orchestral music in mono when the alternative is fake stereo ('electronically enhanced in stereo' or somesuch).

3. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

John Greenwood wrote:
    Now that one was difficult to find - the search machines do give weird results. Sold out. Couldn't find a new one, and the used sets are way too costly ones. I have considered the Boulez/DG set because they're later (digi) recordings: I don't need a digitalized version of the old recordings because the LP's are still in fine condition, but it would be interesting to compare them with the digi set.

Robin L wrote:
    I have only the Sixth from them - unfortunately that only, because it's very good and it would be nice to hear the others too (does also have a set of Gennady Nikolayevich Rozhdestvensky's recordings of nos. 1-5). Perhaps I should consider the possible cd's if they're available...

In general, I'm not particularly familiar with Czech composers. Of string quartets, I've had only individual LP's and/or cd's from Dvorak, Janacek and Smetana. Impossible to make universal claims. Recently I bought the Brilliant box of Dvorak quartets only. Right now I can't find it (there's been a "renovation", and installation of more bookshelves, therefore the musical records are mostly still in the safety boxes). But from what I can recollect of the first run of the cd's - just listening through to hear that there are no problems with the cd's: there has been with the Brilliant cd's earlier - I was quite happy with both the Stamitz Quartet's fluent playing (almost had the impression as if they were playing with their tools) and the general value of the box. Not brilliant but very close. Worth every penny. I'd be happy to get that 15-ceedees box.

The "American Quartet" is among the better ones of the Dvorak quartets. To me, roughly one third of the quartets are "mediocre" (in a grand scheme: none of them is mediocre, because huge majority of world's string quartets haven't been considered worthy of recording) and perhaps more than other third are just great.

It's almost unbelievable how many good and even great string quartets have been coming from Czechoslovakia, and later, from Czech Republic. I just don't know them all, but I'm convinced (based on their reputation & what I've heard) the Stamitz Q isn't among the weaker ones.

I can't comment on Janacek, except: what I've heard I've liked. Especially, Melos Quartet's recent CD with both of his string quartets has been one of my great chamber music favourites during the last few to five years. Just stunning. Listened to it quite a lot. Right now, I doubt whether Stamitz Q would do the same to me, but part of the problem would be that I've already grown to the Melos Q recording.

Oh, and thank you for more info on Haggin!

4. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

One of my favorite conductors!

5. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this new 2CD set from one of my favorite pianists, Shura Cherkassky. He was a student of Josef Hofmann, the pianist whose hands appear in my avatar. This is another splendid, affordable release from Guild, a very cool label who does nice work and offers rare recordings.

RiRiIII likes this.
  6. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov – Scheherazade, Op.35 — Herman Krebbers, violin
    Alexander Borodin – Symphony No.2
    — Concertgebouw Orchestra — Kirill Kondrashin (Philips)

[​IMG]

John S likes this.
  7. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Listening (downloaded from Universal today):

Mendelssohn-Melos.jpg
    Just couldn't resist... Got also Emerson's on Dvorak:

Dvorak-x400.jpg

8. coopmv

An excellent CD, which I added to my collection last year ... :righton:

9. coopmv

George, Thanks for sharing and I shall put this twofer on my NEVER shrinking shopping list ... :wave:

10. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Well done! I saw Cherkassky once in '93/'94 in Munich playing a recital ranging from Rameau to Berg and a living UK composer. I then went backstage to shake his hand (what a small hand, really... and he could play Rach 3 and all the warhorses like that...) and got his autograph. That same period I was lucky to see also Firkusny and Lazar Berman (twice actually that season: an all Liszt recital and another one with his son Pavel on violin).

11. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Concatenación likes this.
  12. John S

John S Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Same recording, different covers?

No Borodin on the top one.

13. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Excactly. This one is the first CD release.

14. George P

15. George P

Very cool!

16. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

So, the 1952 date is for the Hammerklavier not re-recorded for the Stereo cycle.
    http://fischer.hosting.paran.com/music/music.htm

17. George P

18. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Arnold Schoenberg – A Survivor from Warsaw Op.46, Chamber Symphony No.1 Op.9,
    Six Orchestral Songs Op.8 (Alessandra Marc, soprano), Accompaniment to a Film-scene Op.34
    — Staatskapelle Dresden, Chor der Sachsischen Staatsoper Dresden (on Op.46) — Giuseppe Sinopoli (Teldec)

[​IMG]

John S and RiRiIII like this.
  19. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

A huge sound improvement over GROC. Those EMI SACDs were priced to sell when they were first released. Have they gone up?

20. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

berg.jpg

Does anybody else have this album? Side One is the Rahor Quartet playing Berg's Lyric Suite. I've heard recordings of the Kronos and Juilliard String Quartets playing this piece, but they both play the first movement faster than the Rahor does and it always feels rushed to me. The Lyric Suite is close to 30 minutes long and yet this Turnabout lp sounds great to me. I checked the inner groove info the other day and it turns out that Rudy Van Gelder mastered it.

21. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Currently spinning one of many of my Bartok Concerto sets. Which Piano Concerto sets do you prefer?
    Boulez with 3 different pianists and orchestras.
    51fqst6mZlL__AA160_.jpg

PS-The Bartok Second Concerto is one of my favorite all time piano concertos.

22. George P

I only have Anda/Fricsay, but I like it!

john greenwood likes this.
  23. Rose River Bear

I had it but sold off all my vinyl. It is not available on CD I believe.

24. Rose River Bear

That is one of my favorites just behind Stephen Bish....Kova whatever. :D
    The SK/SB are my favorites.

25. George P

Just call him "one of the guys who was lucky enough to call Martha Argerich his gal." ;)

That, or Stephen Cougar Mellancamp. :p

Rose River Bear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.