Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #49)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I have and enjoy on CD the Scott Ross complete set as well as his Rameau one. Marvelous music indeed.

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

This LP must be quite rare. Blandine Verlet recorded the JS Bach Harpsichord Concertos with Raymond Leppard and the ECO in the early 70's. She was the only female harpsichordist with 3 male harpsichorists (Raymond Leppard, Andrew Davis and Philip Ledger) performing the Concerto for 4 harpsichord. I have the CD on Philips. I suspect your LP might have been released later.

4. coopmv

I have heard Scott Ross mentioned quite often but do not have any recording by him.

5. coopmv

6. coopmv

Earlier today, I listened to the following set, purchased used but in very good condition. The CD's are like new, as is the liner notes. Only the paper box is a little beat up. Considering the set is OOP, I got a very good deal ...

[​IMG]

7. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, which I purchased used for a first listen. The CD is not in as good a condition as the Amazon seller rated it but fortunately it plays with no problems. Arthur Grumiaux was such an outstanding violinist and IMO is among the greatest violinists. Between LP's and CD's, I already have quite a number of his recordings ...

[​IMG]

sgb likes this.
  8. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I like Grumiaux's Bach as well. He can't avoid a bit of modern bowing etc but he maintains a tic free style with these works which has worn well. I have these LPs. The Brandenburgs with Leppard are OK but I prefer the Linde Consort, Collegium Aureum and the Akademie fur Alte Musik editions.

grumiauxjacot.jpg grumiauxsolo.jpg

9. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

This recording along with their St John's Passion are my favorites of this repertoire. Hauntingly beautiful. Amazing recordings to boot

10. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

While the Couperin and Rameau are rare and pricey to get now (issued on LP by the legendary STIL label and the on CD), you can still have a selection from his 555 sonatas by Scarlatti or the complete set - quite ean achievement, a fine 2 cd set with his EMI Goldberg Var + Frescobaldi works, and ERATO cds with various Bach and Handel works for ERATO; sadly he died prematurely in 1989 and did not complete the complete Bach works recordings he planned.

11. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Returning to Debussy for a moment, I read on another site that this is a very fine collection. It's a bit pricey compared to others, but my experience with Bavouzet's Ravel has been positive. Anyone heard this?

[​IMG]

12. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Grumiaux is right up there with Herman Krebbers, another violinist appearing on many Philips records, as being among the most empathic musicians I've heard.

Grumiaux did a wonderful Beethoven VC with Davis in the early Seventies, while, IMO Krebbers helped produce, with Kondrashin, one of the most engaging Scheherezade recordings I've heard.

Robin L likes this.
  13. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I posted here about the individual discs as they came out and quite liked them. I believe it was Eddie who also posted favorably about Bavouzet's Debussy.

14. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Speaking of Krebbers my favorite for the Brahms Vn Con

krebbers.jpg

15. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Ludwig Van Beethoven – Symphony No.2 in D Major Op.36
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Symphony No.35 in D Major K. 385, “Haffner” Symphony No.40 in G Minor K.550
    — Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra — Fritz Reiner (Masterworks Heritage – Sony Classical)

[​IMG]

16. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

http://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/

The Berlin Philharmonic is really adapting technology to get classical music out there. This may have been discussed here before - apologies if so. I spend some time last night experimenting with the iPad app. Overall impressive - what a wonderful idea, that the current season (and a large archive) of Berlin Phil performances is available in HD right in my living room right as it happens.

17. John S

John S Forum Resident

Now Playing....

Beethoven
    Violin Concerto Op.61

Arthur Grumiaux, violin
    Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
    Sir Colin Davis
    (1974)

[​IMG]

I haven't listened to this in a long time; it still sound great to me. Grumiaux plays the Kreisler cadenza if memory serves.

Is there a VC in the repertoire with a longer orchestral introduction?

18. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Amen to that! I have that very record, as well as its full-price predecessor. Of course, I have the CD reissue too. I haven't found another Brahms VC that I enjoy as much.

It was a friend who was visiting us some 40 years ago who came into the listening room where I was playing this whose four-word review said it all, "Man, that's wonderful!"

[​IMG]

19. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Thanks.

20. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Woodwind afternoon.

Schoenberg Wind Quintet (London Sinfonietta via Spotify)
    Mozart Serenade No. 11 (Amadeus Winds)

21. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying a first listen of this CD, recommended by an online friend, whose opinion I highly value.

22. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Not a lot of people play Alkan

23. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Joseph Haydn
    "Nelson Mass" Hob.XXII:1 1
    — Sylvia Stahlman, soprano, Helen Watts, contralto, Wilfred Brown, tenor, Tom Krause, baritone, Simon Preston, organ
    — London Symphony Orchestra & King's College Choir — Sir David Willcocks (Decca / Argo)

"Paukenmesse" mass Hob.XXII:9
    — April Cantelo, soprano, Helen Watts, contralto, Robert Tear, tenor, Barry McDaniel, baritone, Stephen Cleobury, organ
    — Academy of Saint Martin in the Fields & St John's College Choir — George Guest (Decca / Argo)

[​IMG]

24. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Ludwig Van Beethoven – Piano Concerto No.5 Op.73 "Emperor", Piano Concerto Op.54
    Rudolf Serkin — New York Philarmonic — Bruno Walter

Robert Schumann
    – Piano Concerto Op.54
    Eugene Istomin — Columbia Symphony Orchestra — Bruno Walter (Sony Classical)

[​IMG]

25. coopmv

I make exceptions for the likes of Henryk Szeryng and Arthur Grumiaux, who are among the all-time greats. Most of the HIP movement was really before their time. But they were such outstanding violinists that they should never be excluded from the collection of any serious collector IMO. I am a big fan of HIP when it comes to baroque, though I am still not sold on HIP for the classical period.

Mr Bass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.