Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #49)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John S

John S Forum Resident

A great way to start a Sunday morning. Listening now to QI's D.887 from this:
    [​IMG]

Someday, I'm going to get around to alternate performances. This my only recording of these great quartets, except for D.810 from this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  2. Bob M

Bob M Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. I have him with the piano concertos, but nothing else. I will check into that.

3. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I very much enjoy the Tallis Fantasia and also Flos Campi; the rest I find less interesting. For whatever reason VW's music has rarely been recorded by the top non British conductors (and even Rattle avoided him). So the available newer recordings of Tallis that you might take a listen to (other than Handley) would be limited: Andrew Davis (Warner) and Slatkin's St Louis performance on Telarc. Frankly none of them supersede the best early recordings IMO but you may feel differently. From your post I assume you are familiar with all the earlier recordings of the Tallis so I won't go into them.

4. drh

drh Talking Machine

Oddly enough, there's a Toscanini (presumably broadcast) recording of the Tallis Fantasia available on some of the off-brand reissue labels. Anybody heard it? Reactions?

5. Mr Bass

Not the CD recording/mastering. I heard a stream version with poor sonics no surprise. Not much there except the main melody. It was a wartime issue I thought. I'm not a big Toscanini fan so probably not the best judge but it didn't impress me, without being a bad performance. The best mono performance would be Karajan's IMO.

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Couldn't agree more. This performance is transfixing. Think I'll drag it out, it's been years . . .

[​IMG]

sgb likes this.
  7. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Really good news. It appears that Blandine Verlet is re-recording François Couperin's works for clavecin. I listened to most of this 2-cd set yesterday. The sound of this set is superior to the earlier set on Astree, about as good sounding a harpsichord I've heard via recording. Verlet's playing is still S.O.T.A., with generous and appropriate use of rubato. The label is APARTE [via Harmonia Mundi] catalog # is B007RNJXCO.

[​IMG]

Mr Bass likes this.
  8. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Divertimenti for 2 Violins, Viola, Cello and 2 Horns: K247 ("I. Lodronische Nachtmusik") & K334
    — L'Archibudelli (Vivarte / Sony)

[​IMG]

PH416156 likes this.
  9. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Well, if you've been holding out on acquiring Gardiner's Bach cantatas, here's a good opportunity:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bach-Cantat...&qid=1379423141&sr=8-1&keywords=gardiner+bach

[​IMG]

"For the first time on one label the complete live recordings from the Bach Cantata Pilgrimage, in an elegant box reflecting the quality of the original series packaging. This is a limited edition, only 3,000 produced worldwide.

CONTENTS
    56 audio CDs:
    28 existing volumes from the SDG Cantatas series
    + 4 additional CDs previously released by Deutsche Grammophon. Featuring Magdalena Kozena/ Paul Agnew/ Mark Padmore/ Sara Mingardo/ James Gilchrist/ Peter Harvey
    3rd Sunday after Epiphany (BWV 72/ 73/ 111/ 156)
    Feast of the Purification of Mary (BWV 83/ 82/ 125/ 200)
    9th Sunday after Trinity (BWV 94/ 168/ 105)
    11th Sunday after Trinity (BWV179/ 199/ 113)

+ 1 data CD containing
    Index of the cantatas by CD and by cantata number
    Sung texts with English translations
    Original sleeve notes in English and German (French notes available online)"

10. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have a 22 disc DG box containing cantatas, Passions Mass in b etc. from Gardiner. I think I'm set.

11. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Indeed!

I should add in response to progfan's OP that Schubert had a way of developing themes like that — my favorite being the opening movement of the 9th Symphony.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  12. john greenwood

Just ordered this. My only recording of the 15th is the Julliard, and I've never warmed to it. I have the Alban Berg for 13 and 14 (as well as the Julliard).

John S likes this.
  13. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Another worthwhile Schubert:

[​IMG]

14. john greenwood

I have that for "Shepherd." I don't care for that recording of the Quintet. There aren't many recordings of Harold Wright (who was principal clarinet of the BSO). Same goes for Robert Marcellus (Cleveland Symphony) and Stanley Drucker (NYPO).

15. sgb

sgb Senior Member

16. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

[​IMG]

Sibelius - The 7th Symphony - Decca

I'm a beginner - new to classical music and this thread - this is my first classical music purchase, along with a Delius LP. Any thoughts and suggestions for similar things would be great.

With respect to this Sibelius box, I've largly limited myself to listening to the 7th Symphony, trying to get a handle on it. So even thoughts on your favorite symphonies in this box would be great.

I'm also into vinyl, so any suggestions on best vinyl pressings of the 7th Symphony would be appreciated.

Robin L likes this.
  17. sgb

sgb Senior Member

The Sibelius set is quite a worthy first purchase, Clive, and to have found the Decca — and not the London — is a lagniappe worth boasting about. My own personal favorites among the Sibelius symphonies are his Fifth and Second, but they are all quite worthy in any collection of classical music. You didn't mention what was on the Delius record; his most famous pieces are linked to nature and often solemn.

You might want to look at Edvard Grieg, another Scandinavian, to broaden your introduction into classical music. His Peer Gynt Suites and Piano Concerto are well-loved by most classical music aficionados. Of course there are hundreds of composers to explore, and you will surely favor some over others, but Sibelius, Delius an Grieg seem to be as good as any to start with.

Bryce likes this.
  18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Good set, great sound. You have what would probably be a good pressing. Try the 4th. It's cold, bleak and very unique.

Bryce likes this.
  19. john greenwood

To be honest, I only listened to it once. I found it lethargic. Of course, my starting point with the quintet was Heifetz/Piatigorsky which is the antithesis of lethargic. I've settled somewhere in-between with ABQ and Casals.

20. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

Congrats on your purchase... In classical, there's a world to explore, and many things require time to fully appreciate so finding something that speaks to you is like an entry point from which your horizons can broaden. If you're digging the Sibelius, go for it! The 2nd symphony is probably the most accessible and will get you familiar with the 4 movement symphony form. The 7th is an amazing piece, but may take some time to fully come to terms with since it condenses Sibelius' ideas to the utmost. If you're liking the sweeping orchestral music there's lots of music from the same time period to explore... Stuff like Richard Strauss, Debussy, Stravinsky. Report back on how things are striking you and we can give more specific recommendations!

Bryce likes this.
  21. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Ludwig Van Beethoven – Piano Concerto No.3 in C minor, Op.37
    Arthur Rubinstein — NBC Symphony Orchestra — Arturo Toscanini (RCA Victor Red Seal Records – Sony Music)

[​IMG]

22. Mr Bass

Well what or who led you to purchase this first as these were recorded back in the 60s? Maazel's versions were excellently recorded on LP but indifferently remastered on CD. The best performances relative to other contenders are generally considered to be the 1st, 4th and 7th. These stand comparison with any IMO. Does this box contain Tapiola as well since that was another classic performance and recording? Sadly Maazel never really fulfilled the promise he showed in his recordings from the 60s and 70s. His 5th is a bit faster than some others but well done. His performance of the 6th symphony is more idiosyncratic in that he adopts a rustic approach rather than the more customary neoclassical style adopted by Karajan, Davis etc. I like it though. The only efforts that seem average to me are the Sym 2 and 3.

Bryce likes this.
  23. Jonno

Jonno Forum Resident

I have the same box, and absolutely love the 7th on it. Keep listening, it's not a long piece and it will fall into place soon enough. I'll echo Robin's suggestion that you try the 4th too.

And as a newcomer, don't be daunted by the supposed "challenge", it's just very exciting and atmospheric music and the more you play it the more you fall in love with it.

Bryce likes this.
  24. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I agree. IMO the 7th in this set is a contender for the best ever recorded. I have to listen to the Decca Legends CD again but IIRC the sound is not too bad.

25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

On a certain level, you've heard this all before. Late Romantics, like Sibelius, created the musical vocabulary of the Movie Soundtrack. There is a decided 'pictoral' element to Sibelius. "Finlandia" and "Tapiola" are little musical dramas onto themselves.

goldwax and Bryce like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.