Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #49)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Sadly, the filming was done in 1973 with Bernard Haitink and the RCO ...

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

The program looks good, though!

3. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

What's your impression?

4. George P

Punny! :laugh:

I liked much of it, some of it got too loud for me. I liked Jacobs's Preludes and Etudes more. Overall, for the Images, I still prefer Michelangeli, Moravec and Arrau.

However, I am very grateful to have those rare first three Images. Those works are new to my collection.

5. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

from 1977 on DG-Pictures at an Exhibition/Prokofiev Symphony No. 1,"Classical"/Carlo Maria Giulini conducting the CSO.
    these are included in a recent CD box set of Giulini's Chicago recordings for DG & after listening to them on a 1984 cassette reissue,
    i'm tempted to buy the CD set.

6. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

The Takacs Q Ludwig van flacs were ca. 25 EUR when I got them, but I had to spend some 30-40 minutes in order to get the metadata right...

While searching for the Endellion Q recommended by George P - does it really sound like drunken sailors banging the table with their beer mugs in a port town pub, is it that male? -, I stumbled on that culinary gem -

http://www.mdt.co.uk/telemann-compl...korchester-der-goltz-harmonia-mundi-4cds.html

- and even fiddled for a moment with the idea that I'd buy another box that I can give as a X-mas present... That Tafelmusik box just is a must.

7. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I d recommend to buy both sets of Giulini in America DG recordings. They do contain reference readings of Beethoven 5th and Mahler's 9th.

8. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Yep, the Mahler's Ninth with Chicago SO is great. I still have two LP-boxes of it, because I'm certain the first one will be unplayable before I'm sixty-four... - no, seventy-four!

9. drh

drh Talking Machine

Curiously, although by the frequency with which it (at least used to) turn up, it must have been one of the best-selling classical sets of the 78 era, this recording never had a reissue on LP and emerged on CD only long, long--but not Lang Lang!--after that format had become dominant.

10. George P

I suspect this has to do with the fact that like with say, Kempff mono Beethoven sonatas, there existed a stereo recording that record executives assumed would sell far better than the mono one.

11. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

when i was in my early teens we somehow had 78s of Rubinstein playing the 'Moonlight' sonata.my parents were not classical fans & i don't know how we got the records,but i remember flipping
    the needle on my little record player & enjoying the music.another favorite 78 was on Specialty-Larry Williams' 'Bony Moronie' b/w 'You Bug Me Baby'.

12. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying some more middle period Rubinstein recordings. This CD also has some Anton Rubinstein works.

13. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Listened to Martinu: Works Inspired by Jazz and Sport today. It was recommended a week ago or so and since I like Martinu, I ordered it. It's music to put a smile on your face. Great CD.

[​IMG]

RiRiIII likes this.
  14. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Luigi Boccherini – Concertos for Violoncello and Orchestra G.476 & G.573, Overture (Sinfonia) Op.43 G.521, Octet (Notturno) Op.38/4 G.470, Sinfonia, G.519
    Anner Bylsma, violincello — Tafelmusik — Jeanne Lamon (Vivarte/Sony Classical)

[​IMG]

Joseph Haydn – Symphonies No.44 "Trauer", No.51 & No.52
    Ab Koster, horn — Tafelmusik — Bruno Weil (Vivarte/Sony Classical)

[​IMG]

PH416156 and Rose River Bear like this.
  15. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I like just about everything that Tafelmusik has recorded.

16. coopmv

I may get to know more about this ensemble if I decide to spring for that Vivarte box ... :D

PH416156 likes this.
  17. London Symphony Orchestra / Herbert Menges / Byron Janis piano - Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1 - STEREO
    Mercury Living Presence SR90266 - Quality Canada - 1960

[​IMG]

The year was a guess based on 2 other Mercury Living Presence LPs listed at Discogs from 1960 with very close label numbers (SR90264 and SR90269).

Wondering if the above LP was ever released on SACD.

PH416156 and Robin L like this.
  18. John S

John S Forum Resident

I noticed this last week. I don't go there often, but I appreciate having that resource. Given the limited public appeal for classical recordings, their need for some sort of revenue enhancement is understandable. However, I think they would see more $ by offering a $15 or $20/year subscription, with a premium sign-up at $50 or $60/lifetime.

I find Hurwitz occasionally entertaining, but not enough for $49.

19. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

No, never on SACD. But the RBCD sounds great.

20. Good to know. Thanks.

21. coopmv

I think I have read David Hurwitz only once. Hey, I still have my 1984 or 1986 edition of the Penguin Record Guide I can consult and why not? After all, many of the recordings I buy were recorded through the mid 80's - original analog recordings that have been digitally remastered. As for the newer recordings, I stick to the tried and true ensembles such as the Tallis Scholars, etc. since I am into early music. Of the last few hundred CD's that were recorded after 2000, I am quite happy with most of them.

John S likes this.
  22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Heard today for the first time. A prime slice of Xenakis:

RiRiIII likes this.
  23. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I've just sampled a little of it and I it's a little hard on the ears with head phones. Some of those opening tones are piercing. I like what I hear though. I'll listen to it later this weekend in full.

24. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Listened to Homages for Winds, a compilation of pieces for large wind ensembles or bands on Chandos. I've only heard of one of the composers, Malcolm Arnold. It's a very fun album. I'm a bit of a sucker for music for winds.

[​IMG]

25. George P

[​IMG]

Dark, murky music for a bright, cheerful morning. Believe it or not, I am playing this at the request of my girlfriend, who loves dark classical music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.