Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #5)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coopmv, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011 Thread Starter

Compared with Gilels, another great Russian piano virtuoso, Richter had a more extensive reportoire, as I do not believe Gilels had ever recorded any Bach keyboard works ...

2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Inspired by George....tonight's listening will include:

Richter Rediscovered

[​IMG]

3. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Beethoven
    Works for Violin and Piano Op. 23 and 24
    Kremer/Argerich
    DG 453 745-2 Complete Beethoven Edition
    Recorded 1987 at Jesus-Christus-Kirche, Berlin

4. George P

George P Notable Member

Aw, shucks! :angel:

Now I really need to get that one.

Now playing:

Schubert
    D 894
    Richter
    Moscow 1978
    Brilliant Classics

Review to follow of this and the later London performance.

5. coopmv

I have a list of Richter's CD I want to get. Hopefully, the WTC on the RCA Gold Seal will arrive this week ...

6. coopmv

7. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

Looks like a great box, but no Beethoven No.32 which I think is one of Richter's finest interpretations.

8. coopmv

Actually I do have the two-fers for Handel's keyboard works with Richter and Gavrilov on EMI ...

9. George P

George P Notable Member

10. George P

George P Notable Member

Today I listened to the two performances listed over at Trovar of D 894 by Schubert-

Moscow 3 May 1978 (Brilliant Classics) – This was my first encounter with Richter’s Schubert and it won me over the first time I heard it. You might say I imprinted on it. The depth of performance is impressive, with a first movement that is epic in the hands of the pianist. Unfortunately, it was recorded under less than ideal conditions, using what sounds like fairly close microphones in a very reverberant hall. The reverb enhances the performances throughout much of the slow movement, adding a mysterious quality to an already ominous performance. However, as the sonata moves on, this effect begins to blur the images as the notes get closer together. There are some splendid moments, especially the sunlight evoked by the start of the second movement. The playing could have been more refined however, and the close recording limited the dynamic range of the sound, thus limiting the dramatic effect of the dynamic shifts. All in all, a very good performance that was unfortunately not helped by the conditions under which it was recorded.

London 20 March 1989 (Philips) - The recorded sound here is spectacular, microphones were placed far enough away to capture the full dynamic range of Richter’s performance. Thankfully, the audience is well behaved as well. Richter’s playing here is beyond words, so I won’t say very much. The first movement is played like a gentle dream punctuated by nightmarish episodes that startled me, but in a good way. The second and third movements continue in this fashion, Richter plays a heartfelt performance with great focus and if the occasional outbursts are a bit loud, it only adds to the epic nature of his interpretation. The finale is a delight, played in a beautiful, aristocratic style. The understated ending is soft, yet powerful. I found out today that this was the pianist’s favorite Schubert sonata and by the way he plays it, I am not surprised. This is truly incredible performance and one that I will revisit and treasure for years to come.

11. coopmv

Now playing disc 4 Schubert D 960, D 575.

Attached Files:

12. George P

George P Notable Member

It's a Richterthon!! :D

13. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

Can anyone recommend a great sounding Shostakovich 5th Symphony? I think this is a piece that needs sound quality along with interpretation to show off its power, but I've been unsuccessful thus far.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Which ones have you heard?

I like the Rostropovich LSO.

15. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

Bernstein and some less notable ones that I can't even remember. Bernstien's is fantastic, but its an old recording that sounds kindof scratchy and lacks depth. Do you think the Rostropovich LSO has good sound quality?

16. George P

George P Notable Member

I do. The live digital recording was done in 2004 and the miking might be a bit distant, but this gives everything more room to breathe. Most of all the performance is excellent! here's a review: http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=8570

If you prefer closer miking Haitink is great, just not as "Russian" of course as Rostropovich. The recording is a studio one, all digital, done in 1981. Review: http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=2069

17. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

We were just talking about that CD recently. It has the most excessive dynamics I've ever heard...:sigh:

The performance is superb though.

18. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

Where were you talking about it? I'm just curious as to how you can have excessive dynamics. Unless its artificially enhanced or something...

19. George P

George P Notable Member

Yup. That Richter Schubert D 894 from the Master series I reviewed earlier has the widest dynamic range I have ever heard in a piano recording. Though my neighbors may not agree, I think this is a good thing. Just as limiting the dynamic range of rock music limits its expressiveness, I feel the same about classical. I love that big sound of the piano, I miss going to recitals and hearing it, actually. I wish people could behave themselves at a classical concert. :sigh:

20. George P

George P Notable Member

I guess for those who listen via headphones get blasted in those fff moments. Also, the quiet moments are hard to hear in noisy environments.

21. coopmv

Now playing the following and it is a Schubert D960-thon by Horowitz ...

Attached Files:

22. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

Hmm, I can't decide. I do prefer close miking for more clarity and less ambience, but you and some other reviwers think the Rostropovich is a better interpretation. Plus you've got studio vs. live. Oh I'll just grab both of them. Yay!:goodie:

23. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=4094766 (from post 673).

I don't know if it's artificial but the problem seems to exist only in modern recordings. I've never heard an old CD with the problem. Out of about 100 classical discs I've owned, two of them had what I consider to be excessive dynamics - ie with the loudest parts at an uncomfortably high volume, there are still sections that are so quiet they are virtually inaudible (this being in a totally silent environment). The Rostropovich LSO disc was the worst one, but Fischer's Mahler 2 on Channel Classics was almost as bad.

24. warren

warren Forum Resident

My grandfather has some discs with the same problem. "Excessive dynamics" do indeed exist, though this certainly came as a shock when he first said so.

25. coopmv

Schubert D 960 is the #1 selection of the day. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.