Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #5)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coopmv, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

This one is a bit all over the place (ie. the FLAC's on my hard disk are not all from the same CD). Finlandia, The Swan of Tuonela and Valse triste are actually HvK's mid-60's recordings, which I prefer to the ones depicted by the cover (early 80's). Only Tapiola is the 80's version. Now playing:

Attached Files:

2. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Yeah, but I can't read in the dark.

3. George P

George P Notable Member

Suggestion - listen with the lights on. :D

4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I am one of those that love him. But I also like Furtwangler and his tempo choices.

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

At the cd that I posted a few pages before ("The Legendary Berlin Concert") with Karajan and Gould there is a live performance of the 5th. The concert took place on May 26, 1957.

At the end of the 5th the German audience is confused whether the work is over or not, some starting to applaud, I guess everybody looks at each other, and then the applaud escalates to triumph.

I found it funny, but I just realized how contemporary and I might say unknown this work was in the 50s.

We have come a long way since then.

By the way, Karajan's performance is excellent.

[​IMG]

6. George P

George P Notable Member

I am a click away from getting that 33 CD set. What performances of his (other than Bruckner) have you heard from this set and recommend?

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//5677322.htm

7. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

I like Celidibache's Tchaikovsky: Symphony no. 6 (EMI). It is like the Bernstein DG reading, but better.

8. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, I was listening to samples last night and really liked what I heard.

9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Hey George,
    according to the link this set contains live performances between 1979 and 1996 with the Münchner Philharmoniker

Unfortunately I am not familiar with this set.

But I have The Celibidache Edition from DG, with the SWR Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra and I strongly recommend these cds.

See also here for a good detailed review:

http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/d/dgg53194a.php

I am sure that the EMI will be good, but like I said, I don't have any of these recordings.

10. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks Chris!

11. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I don't like to turn on lights when I'm at my computer. Is that a bad idea?

12. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Finally got to disc two!!

13. George P

George P Notable Member

My laptop surely gives off enough light for me to read CD booklets.

Although I don't usually use the computer with the lights out simply because I can see the screen better with some ambient light.

14. Jay F

Jay F New Member

My stereo isn't right next to my computer, and it isn't that important to me to ID specifically what I'm listening to at any given moment.

Usually I do know what composer I'm listening to, though, as most recordings feature a single composer. I hardly have any multi-composer discs. I wouldn't have this one but for the fact that it is part of an 8-CD box set, each CD sleeve identical down to the catalog number to its original DG LP equivalent, all but two, I think, by a single composer. I wish DG had done this with the Bernstein Tchaikovsky box set.

This is much more thinking on this subject than I would ever have imagined doing.

15. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Disc two of...?

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Still on the fence about this Celi box set, if only I had more shelf space. :shake:

17. George P

George P Notable Member

Slow day...

18. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

D 959

Nice Mark Obert Thorn transfers here!

19. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Schnabel

How do you rate that box, George? Comparable to Schnabel's Beethoven?

20. George P

George P Notable Member

I just got it today. I am not a huge fan of his Schubert actually. I think his style is much better suited to Beethoven. I got this set because it was cheap, mastered by my favorite historical transfer engineer (Mark Obert Thorn, whom I wish to support whenever I can), contains well respected performances (perhaps I will grow to like it) and is not likely to stay in print very long.

21. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

D 850

Schnabel sounds better suited for this sonata, in fact, he sounds better than Richter's recorded performances of this work.

22. Jay F

Jay F New Member

If you don't have the room, maybe buying it would be overshopping?

23. George P

George P Notable Member

Not to me. I am not willing to miss out on great recordings (or great deals) because I happen to be currently living in a small apartment. I have had to get creative in the past and I think it's time to do it again. I would like to get some more shelving. That would give me more than enough space. My definition of overspending these days would be buying CDs on credit. I haven't done that in years, so I am fine.

24. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Day three of the horrendous heatwave here in Melbourne, and I am inspired to play more from a much colder land... (BTW this Tubin symphony is excellent and I would like to hear more of this lesser known conductor). (recorded 2001):

Attached Files:

25. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Just joining this thread - I picked up and am enjoying immensely:

Bach - Cello Suites 1, 4, & 5
    Mstislav Rostropovich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.