Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #5)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coopmv, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

What Haitink? Is that Shostakovich 5?

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Have you investigated any of the modern sets, like Jansons? Might get more bank for your buck.

3. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

Yes. Guess its been a while since my original post.

4. George P

George P Notable Member

Dude don't mess around! :thumbsup:

The Rostropovich ends in a very unique (and appropriate) way IMO. Rather than end in triumph, Rostropovich slows it down and underlines the strong dissonance in the finale. I gave up my search for No. 5 once I heard it. YMMV of course.

5. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Can't say I have. I have not as yet bought complete cycles across multiple CD's. I've been picking and choosing from one or two disc releases that are highly regarded.

I'm not sure I want to get into those 18-disc sets, etc, that you guys buy. I'd never get through them!

6. George P

George P Notable Member

A whole hour and a half. :laugh:

7. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

I too found the finale of that Rostropovich performance to be quite marvellous. I fell in love with the symphony by way of this CD, so it can't be that bad ;)

8. George P

George P Notable Member

I sometimes think "I've got a hundred CDs I haven't heard yet" and feel a little weird, but now I just listen to what I want to listen to and try to enjoy this wonderful hobby. I prefer the too much problem to the not enough problem. I grew up pretty poor so it's nice now to be able to buy stuff that I want.

If I were more familiar with modern interpretations I'd make some suggestions, but alas, I am not. After getting most of Rozdestvensky's recordings, some Mravinsky, Rostropovich and Kondrashin's full set, I am too content to keep on searching. For Shostakovich, I much prefer the Russian conductors.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

I hear ya! I didn't get the impression you had a problem with the performance, just the sound. I'm in the Largo now, BTW, still at the same volume.

10. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

I thought the performance was wonderful, although I know what you mean about Russian conductors interpreting Russian works. FWIW I clearly preferred the Rostropovich over the late 70's Bernstein. I find Kreizberg to be either very close or on a par with Rostropovich (I certainly wouldn't say he's better). It's a bit difficult to compare since I don't have the LSO disc anymore.

11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011 Thread Starter

George, More Schubert! Now playing the Sonatas, disc 2

Attached Files:

12. George P

George P Notable Member

The start of the 4th was loud indeed, but not quite at my limit. Maybe it's the Sennehesiers softening the blow or maybe I just like it loud, either way, it's fine for me. A wide dynamic range but not too wide. The range gives it a more live feel to me. :shrug:

13. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Fair enough, I'm glad you can enjoy it. I wish I could have tolerated it better, such was the quality of the performance. The funny thing is I probably could have done something about it now. I've been digitally EQ'ing CD's using VST plugins, with excellent results - I probably could find a compressor plugin too.

BTW, I'm a big Rostropovich fan. I love his cello work. I'm in seventh heaven listening to him play Dvorak's Cello Concerto :love:

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Nice. I recently aquired some Kraus Schubert, but I haven't heard it yet. I want to get her early Mozart sonata set on Music and Arts.

Richter has nailed Schubert pretty much shut for me, I must confess. That Schubert issue from "The Master" series is essential for that D 894 alone. :thumbsup:

15. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

This is what fanaticism does...I can't mess around! I jumped to the final movement (my guilty pleasure is skipping around when I get a new recording) but I'll go back and listen to the entie thing tonight. On the Haitink, the sound is great but maybe a little bright. The brass section really jumps out for sure. So you were right about the miking...no screwing around with ambience here, its right in your face. The finale is more of a euphoric triumphant than even Bernstein, if I recall correctly.

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Did he record that more than once? I have the one with HvK.

I have a great early recording of him playing Bach on a single Vanguard Classics CD.

I also got this recently: [​IMG]

17. George P

George P Notable Member

Wait till you hear the Rostropovich! I just listened to it and the finale kicks some serious butt! Wow!

18. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

That's the one on DG with Tchaikovsky's Rococo Variations? I had that one but it was one of those "Originals Series" I dislike the sound on (another CD where I loved the performance but not the sound). I replaced it with another recording he did with Ozawa: http://www.amazon.com/Dvorak-Concerto-Tchaikovsky-Variations-Rococo/dp/B000005E65/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1232418027&sr=1-4. Much nicer sound on this one, and I'd say his cello playing is about as good. I slightly preferred the orchestral playing on the DG disc, but the much improved sound more than made up for that for me. The tempo is similar in both peformances.

19. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

Maiden spin with this maiden. :cool:

20. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

After I listened to the first disc of Richter rediscovered, now it's the turn of

Richter the Master, Vol. 1: Beethoven - Piano Sonatas

[​IMG]

21. George P

George P Notable Member

I won't ask what you didn't like about the sound, for I own so many of those Originals CDs that I wish to remain forever oblivious to their downfalls. :D

22. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

Richter's late Beethoven sonatas are some of the best, especially the 1st Mvmt. of No.32. Noone plays that like him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBFphuxUlQA

But for the rest I generally prefer Brendel or Kempff.

23. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Haha, they're not that bad, really, I'm just overly fussy. The remastering on them just sounds a bit dry IMO. A couple of them I was able to replace with an older mastering of the same recording, and they do sound better. A bit more air, life and warmth. I wouldn't go slashing my wrists over it though chief ;)

24. George P

George P Notable Member

Too late! Call 911!!! :laugh:

25. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

:biglaugh:

Gee we've been busy in this thread today...look how many pages we've added!

All this talk of Richter - I'm definitely going to have to check him out. I'm probably more of a violin/cello fan than piano, but I'm keen to explore!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.