Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #51)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I believe there are a number of states that have no sales tax and NH is one of them for sure.

2. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I wonder how this is all going to work out. Amazon has never made a high profit and many years breaks even or loses money. They have already raised the minimum on their free shipping deal and this tax process is going to cost them sales too.

States w/o ST are NH, DE, MT, OR. Alaska has a strange local system which imposes a small ST in practice.

3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Sales tax on third party seller sales?

4. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

We haven't got past SIT and STAY yet!! :laugh:

sgb likes this.
  5. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Haven't heard that one,but for me the only records of Britten operas to own are the original Deccas with Britten himself.I think I have them all

[​IMG]

56GoldTop likes this.
  6. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Arda Mandikian who sang in this record and the world premiere of this opera, was an Armenian Greek singer who died in 2009 ( born 1924 in Smyrna).

A nice one!

5-String likes this.
  7. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

IMO, this is what Blu-ray audio should be about. Three Bruckner symphonies on ONE disc (PCM 2.0 and DTS HD 5.0 included for all symphonies - they offer the set on 4 cds also...). I have no idea about the performances but this fabulous review at amazon shoud be read!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DU633L4/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

[​IMG]

http://farao-classics.de/english/catalogue/bruckner-symphonien_nagano-e.html

"The recordings of the 4th and 7th symphonies, which were produced in the Farao Studios, were already issued in 2008/2011 on SONY CLASSICAL. The original version of the 8th Symphony is a first release."

8. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Yes, I think you're quite right. Brahms was used to big orchestra, I believe, in a way Sibelius wasn't: one would think that they composed with different sized orchestras in mind. (Not to mention that Brahms was probably more extrovert, sort of beerhouse kind of guy, who liked to put more body at stage.) Therefore, it's "less problematic" to play Sibelius' later works with sinfonietta sized orchestra than Brahms' sinfonies? (However, I like transparency & clarity one can get with max. 50 players orchestra - but there are prices to pay...)

Same here. Earlier my idea was to have one (preferably good) set at hand and besides it, individual LP's. The CeeDee era sort of ruined a good idea... ;) Especially now when ceedee prices are down, it's easy & affordable to have several sets - and they don't take much space.

However, I still have big removal boxes full of LP's and smaller boxes filled with ceedees that just don't fit anywhere. Storeroom is full, closets are full... So, with the Végh Quartet set of Beethoven Quartets I've done with Ludwig van string quartette sets. Some limit, I say.

Now listening to the Endelllion SQ playing Ludwig van's Op. 132 (actually just checking that ceedees are OK). Robust stuff.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  9. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

No love for the Vickers/Davis Peter Grimes?

10. drh

drh Talking Machine

Interesting. Farao is Gitti Pirner's label. It's also one that at least was distributed in the US by Qualiton, which, we heard earlier in the thread, was to go out of business. Any news on that front since then?

11. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I am gonna dive into its 650 pages...

[​IMG]

Stone Turntable likes this.
  12. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Yes, there are several, New Hampshire comes to mind, and I see by the list here http://taxfoundation.org/article/state-and-local-sales-tax-rates-2013 that Delaware, Montana and Oregon don't have sales taxes either. You bring up a question, though, will Amazon Marketplace Sellers in other countries be subject to the internet sales tax?

Indeed it will.

13. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Indeed, Ralph is one of my favorite reviewers. We were discussing the Zacharias Mozart I mentioned earlier, just yesterday.

14. Mr Bass

Now Listening To

Schumann Symphony 2. Solti, VPO. Decca UK

I'm not a big fan of Solti outside of opera but he does a good job with the Schumann. The Sym 2 is a good fit for him because three movements need to be propulsive and one needs to be slow and heartfelt. He does that here with an excellent recording.

schumann2.JPG

15. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Robert Schumann – Symphony No.3 Op.97 "Rhenish", Manfred Overture Op.115
    Carl Maria von Weber – Overtures: Euryanthe, Der Freischutz, Oberon
    — NBC Symphony Orchestra — Arturo Toscanini (RCA Red Seal)

[​IMG]

RiRiIII likes this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

It's Schumania!! (Pun intended)

alankin1 and Mr Bass like this.
  17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

And I think with Mahler too, if not all Mahler at least with the 8th symphony.

18. EasterEverywhere

The blueback era Britten ('59?) is still my favorite.

As a rule I don't like opera,but I love Britten's

19. EasterEverywhere

Really? What's not to love about Solti?

20. Mr Bass

I agree with the second part of your sentence. I think the Sym 8 may be Mahler's worst symphony :hide:but Solti does a heck of a job conducting it. (It may be no coincidence that it is a big choral work tending toward operatic spectacle.) He does a passable job with the Sym 7 but after that my interest wanes. YMMV.

21. Mr Bass

I was speaking for myself. I assume you are speaking for yourself. I said I did like Solti in operas (and the rather operatic Verdi Requiem ) but less so in other works. For anything he does non operatically, there are better performances easily available and that is a widespread view. Having seen him live several times I found he was somewhat better live than in the studio. He tends to overemphasize and concentrate more on external show than pay attention to phrase structure and emotional expressivity IMO. YMMV

22. EasterEverywhere

23. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

He also did some great Shostakovich recordings late in life.

24. EasterEverywhere

25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Older discussion about Solti's non operatic recordings here:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/best-non-opera-recordings-by-solti.89374/

Solti is not among my favorite conductors but there are a few of his recordings that I enjoy, namely his Bartok Concerto for Orchestra (Decca 1965), his Brucker which IMO is very underrated, some of his Mahler but especially the 8th and from the operatic repertoire his Wagner and Strauss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.