Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #51)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Kinda brittle, kinda hasty. Not my favorite versions. I have the concerto recordings with Serkin, do not like the SQ, do like the performance. Like Watts/Bernstein more in the Second concerto, Curzon/Szell more in the First.

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I can see that. Szell's version of romantic music isn't really to my taste, though I think it works well in the concertos.

3. John S

John S Forum Resident

My ULN box cost $23 delivered...I really like it.

[​IMG]

I once considered the new Rattle set, but he seems so controversial amongst mavens here, I decided not to chance it.
    Speaking of Sanderling, I grew up with his Shostakovich 15 with the Berliner Sinfonie-Orchester when the LP was released not long after Shostakovich passed. I still listen to the CD. I also recently got Petrenko and like it a lot too. I haven't heard the Solti, but surely it must be top-notch, if only because it's the CSO -- an orchestra full of virtuosos in its prime then. But there's the work itself. Shostakovich not only composed his 15th after a lengthy illness, but he also had dreadful wrist pain which forced him to write only what was absolutely necessary. That would explain why the whole orchestra is employed rarely, which puts more pressure on individual players, particularly winds. All the more reason a cracking superb orchestra is needed here. And according to what I've read, Solti had a good day recording this work -- even though it was one of his last before he died.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  4. George P

Have you heard Wand's Beethoven? It's AWESOME!

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Nope, thanks for recommendation George! I 've heard many good things about his Beethoven but never managed to purchase it yet. His Brahms cycle I have on LPs and CDs and I absolutely adore it.

I am off now to go listen to some Rubinstein :)

6. George P

Enjoy!

5-String likes this.
  7. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Yes, Solti's 15th is played and recorded spectacularly, and it's already worth getting only for that, but I think that the performance is also wonderful.

And speaking of Sanderling again, I recently heard his remake of the 15th on Erato with the Cleveland orchestra, a really superb performance, very deliberate and sombre (perhaps tad slow) a kind of an antithesis to Solti but valid on it's own right. It's also a superbly played performance and gorgeously recorded, a real audiophile demonstration disc.

http://www.amazon.com/Shostakovich-Symphony-No-15-Dmitri/dp/B000009JNB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384554396&sr=8-1&keywords=sanderling cleveland

8. drh

drh Talking Machine

You know, it's a funny thing: Stokowski has a (rather well earned) reputation as a musical bad boy, and yet when he was on his best behavior he could deliver remarkably sane, compellingly "central" interpretations. As it happens, unless I'm much mistaken, he, of all people, was the first conductor to record all four Brahms syms., released early in the electric era in 78 RPM album sets on Victor, and my recollection is that all I've heard from that series are beautifully done--lovingly played with personality but not eccentricity. Dunno if they've been reissued in the modern era, but at least those with 78 RPM playback capability should keep an eye open for them.

Robin L likes this.
  9. drh

drh Talking Machine

Just curious: Anybody have keen insights to offer about Dvorak's earlier syms. in general and the Zdenek Kosler performances in particular? I'll confess that aside from no. 5, which I've loved for ages, I'm fairly unfamiliar with this side of the Czech master's output.

10. George P

I'm very happy with the critically acclaimed Kertesz Decca set of Dvorak symphnonies.

Now, because of the generosity of our own RRB, I am enjoying a maiden spin of this CD:

[​IMG]

Mr Bass and Scott Wheeler like this.
  11. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

how about this new one by Chailly, available here

http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-brahms--the-symphonies.aspx

in hires, also on CD.

12. George P

Man the ending of the second L'Arlesienne Suite is INTENSE!! :eek:

13. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

All of Szell's Decca/London recordings are outstanding that includes the mono Brahms with the Concertgebouw,and Emperor with Curzon.

Mr Bass likes this.
  14. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

Szell's Beethoven 7th is one of the best I've ever heard, and it's also very well recorded.

Mr Bass likes this.
  15. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The investors of Amazon will have to decide what their level of tolerance is when it comes to Amazon being consistently profitable. Amazon's share price has been sky-high for years entirely due to its turbo-charged sales growth even though it is mostly unprofitable. At some point, its investors will start to throw in the towel.

Mr Bass likes this.
  16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I will note that the 1960's HvK/Berlin P. O. recording of Brahms Second Symphony on D.G.G. is inexplicably angelic. The coupled Third ain't exactly chopped liver either.

Mr Bass and George P like this.
  17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

There's some wonderful recordings with the Concertgebouw for Philips of Sibelius, Beethoven and Mozart, in more natural sound than the maestro got in Cleveland.

18. coopmv

Now playing CD8 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

19. coopmv

I have some of those recordings in my collection ... :righton:

20. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Very nice. Love the old Deccas, have a few. If I was in my "hometown" NYC more often I might have a chance at more of 'em. On the plus side; however, the LP I posted was one of 300 plus free classical LPs I received from a good friend. They previously belonged to a family member. Included were several mint mono Red Seals, Masterworks, Angel, etc.; so, I ain't complainin'. ;)

21. George P

[​IMG]

Another new to me Bizet CD, with thanks to RRB! :wave:

Mr Bass likes this.
  22. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, a recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

23. George P

How was the condition of the set when it arrived?

24. John S

John S Forum Resident

Sorry, I cannot comment on this set, except to say I am impressed with the Chailly/Gewandhausorchester set of the (Mahler edited) Schumann symphonies. Apparently Chailly's leadership with that band has been extremely beneficial. You kow the audo should be impeccable: hi-res Linn. :thumbsup:

25. drh

drh Talking Machine

That youthful Bizet symphony must be about the sunniest in the repertory; what a delight it is. Don't know Lenny's take on Gaite Parisienne, but the pastiche has long been a favorite of mine as offered up by Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops, first in a mono issue derived from 78s, later in the Living Stereo remake. And oh, by the way, none other than arranger Manuel Rosenthal himself conducted the score for my favorite lo-fi bargain-basement label Remington in the early '50s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.