Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #51)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

You mean because the other is OOP? Importcds has both in stock and shipping in 24 h.

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Sorry, I am mistaken. I think the red one is the European issue of the blue set. (I should stop guessing and let someone who knows better reply.)

I own, love and am very impressed by the blue set.

3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

No worries George, I really appreciate your recommendation and I am thinking of ordering the blue set although I have most of these Walter recordings already.

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I added this excellent twofer to my Bach collection about 2 years ago ...

5. George P

[​IMG]
    Now enjoying this (surprisingly good, if plodding in places) 1975 Rubinstein PC 5 with Barenboim conducting the LPO.

6. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Bach collection ...

[​IMG]

Mr Bass likes this.
  7. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I ought to dig that out again.I don't like the sound of a lot of the 70s Red Seals,the quality of the pressings doesn't help much either.It's too bad RCA didn't have a producer who could make their classical records sound as good as the David Bowie and Lou Reed records of the same time.I also don't think the younger Daniel Barenboim is anywhere near the conductor the older guy I see in all those concert videos on YouTube is.Some conductors were great from the start,Stoki,Beecham,among others,but IMO Barenboim had to mature into a good conductor.

8. coopmv

The quality of the pressings of just about all American labels are lousy unless they were pressed in Europe.

Mr Bass likes this.
  9. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

10. coopmv

Now playing CD3 - 4 Ballades and 3 Impromptus from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

11. coopmv

Now playing CD9 - Bagatelles from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

12. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Have ya seen this before George??
    Crazy ideas over the years.......

A piano made specifically for the bedridden.

[​IMG]

13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I need some help with info regarding some ten inch lps from Deutsch Grammophon.

They have the tulip ringed label.
    The covers are white with a three inch yellow stripe running vertically in the middle of the front cover which is where all the print is that describes the content.
    There's a "Langspielplatte" with a "33" below it on all three covers.

I tried to google and even DG's website didn't give me much.

I have a Franz Liszt, a Mozart and one split between Strauss and Borodin.

Are these collectible? Are they not from the 1950s? They are German pressings too btw in near mint shape. The white on the covers is still very white so I wonder if these were reissues? I would think that a fifty to sixty year old cover would
    not be as white as these are. I've only listened to one side of one lp but it sounded very good. I thought they were unique and they were only 99 cents so I felt I had little to loose.

14. sgb

sgb Senior Member

My 1¢ CD arrived from Germany yesterday, and I must say that the Amazon reviewers are right on about the artistic skills of Christian Zacharias. It is also a joy to hear an excellent David Zinman conducting before he was afflicted with his HIP-ness. This is actually the second of two OOP Zacharias/Mozart CDs I now have, and I prefer it slightly to the other (K 488 & K 537) . Its only drawback that I can find is the shortened, rather speedy sounding Romance from the K 466, but Zacharias' nimble and sure playing certainly compensates well. The sound is superior to the the slightly bright sounding Curzon recording except for a very brief time at 5:09 in the Rondo where the sound suddenly seems to be coming from a small table radio; quite strange. The K 467 starts out well, too, but the piano appears slightly forward of the orchestra, providing a bigger-than-life perspective. In all, this is two top-notch performances on a give-away priced CD.

[​IMG]

15. George P

I hadn't seen, that, no. Very cool. My touch sensitive keyboard can be played in bed, but they sure didn't have those way back then.

16. George P

The Bagatelles are GREAT!

17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Isn't "his HIPness" a honorific? :shtiphat:

I recall editing nightmares where suddenly the piano switches perspective. Always bring a list, always check everything off . . .

18. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

The 10" DGG LPs were produced into the early 60s. Why they were made concurrently with the 12 " LPs I have no idea. I assume they were cheaper. They have the same sonics as regular DGG albums of the time, i.e. mediocre. They have no particular value unless the content was not issued on a standard LP.

19. Mr Bass

Now Listening To

Renata Tebaldi. Serenata Tebaldi. Decca UK.
    A very nice selection of songs and arias.

tebaldi.jpg

20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Thanks Mr. Bass. I thought the analog pressing, the ones with the tulips on the label's border were good quality pressings.

21. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, a recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mr Bass likes this.
  22. Mr Bass

It depends how we define good quality. The vinyl was good quality. The recordings were always heavily multimiked and re-equalized, usually sounding opaque or with shrill treble. Some are better recordings than others. The tulips sound better on average than the 70s or early 80s era DG albums although a few of the later DG albums can be surprisingly transparent. Speakers Corner has reissued some of these DG albums and they sound noticeably better than the originals so the mastering may also be an issue with DG pressings. I have the one below from Speakers Corner.

hvkshost10.jpg

sgb likes this.
  23. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

This morning there were some Mozart piano sonatas from Mitsuko Uchida. This edition is 1991 on the Philips Complete Mozart Edition.

UchidaMozartSonatas2.jpg

beignets (2).jpg

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Format confusion.

All 10" issues were made concurrently with 12" LPs as Columbia's "Long Playing" records came out first. I have no idea why "10" other than it was the same size of the most popular 78 format of the preceding era.

25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The "Tulip" era recordings came before heavy-handed multi-miking became the rule. Many are tube-cut. Most are recorded over tube gear, most to 2 channels from the mix of a few microphones. Karajan's first Beethoven Symphony Cycle for DGG is very good sounding on Tulip copies in good condition. In fact some, like the mono cycle of Wilhelm Kempff, are really top notch. I have a 80's remaster on LPs, still sounds great.

kevinsinnott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.