Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #51)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Yes, I'm becoming quite a fan of her recordings.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD1 - Symphonies Nos 1 & 2 from the following box, a recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

3. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Both are first rate players, like Janine Jansen, and few other rising stars like Lisa Batiashvili or Alina Ibragimova or Arabella Steinbacher, or slightly more experienced Isabelle Faust or Rachel Podger... and many others. Temperaments differ, and that's good news to us: we can enjoy the same works in different interpretations.

I actually listened Julia Fischer playing Mozart concertos today (tweaked the stereo set into wintertime condition this weekend, and in order to test some new tubes I "of course" listened to some "HiFi" records... ;)). Unfortunately, the Netherlands CO cond. by the late Yakov Kreizberg (with whom J.F. has recorded quite a lot) weren't exactly the best possible partner to her. Or perhaps it was an idea agreed by all parties that the band won't throw in all the possible Mozartian lush? So Julia will shine more brightly... Who knows... Good recordings.

bluemooze likes this.
  4. coopmv

I dislike the Bach Violin Concertos performed by Hilary Hahn with the LACO. The tempos were way too fast IMO ...

sgb likes this.
  5. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Were they? HIP virus attacked again...? I can't remember a thing about that recording, nor about Julija's Bach concertos (with Academy of St. Martin in the Fields): it's just, a-ha... made that too?

6. coopmv

But ASMIF is in an entirely different league from LACO ...

7. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

It was J.F's first effort as a conductor (sort of). I've actually liked now already old Beethoven's Ninth by them. Not particularly stormy interpretation, but I guess that Ludwig van would not have hated it.

8. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I like both of them.

9. coopmv

I did not know ASMIF has recorded Beethoven Symphony No. 9 ...

10. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Nope, no Hipnez, just too fast. I don't know what they were on at the session, probably a Red Bull overdose.

jukes and bluemooze like this.
  11. coopmv

Or that Monster drink that was cited by the FDA after a few teens had died from it ...

jukes likes this.
  12. coopmv

Welcome to the thread or CMC. It is nice to have a musician join us ... :righton:

13. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, another recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

14. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I like that symphony but I do not have that recording.

15. coopmv

I also have another version by Simon Preston on DG ...

16. drh

drh Talking Machine

For what it's worth, a lot of the 10" issues were dubs from 78s; their per-side playing time was just right for a work originally issued on two 12" 78 RPM sides, like the Beecham account of Chabrier's "Espana Rapsodie," or on a couple of 10" 78s, like Toscanini's of the "William Tell Overture."

17. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I just wish there was more discussion and reviews of new recordings; there's usually precious little more here than members showing JPGs of the album they just listened to, or or something old and not generally available.

18. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I suppose that would depend on with whom one is speaking. ;)

19. sgb

sgb Senior Member

You need some café au lait to go with those beignets.

20. sgb

sgb Senior Member

kevinsinnott likes this.
  21. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I'm quite impressed with Levine's Schumann cycle. In fact, I might place it above recordings that conventional wisdom deems the ones to own. I enjoy Zinman's Beethoven — especially 1 & 2. Though HIP, he did not use original instruments which is a plus IMHO. I am very much enjoying Mackerras' (also HIP) cycle on the Hyperion label and must agree with one Amazon reviewer that this cycle is probably what Beethoven heard in his head. Agree with you on the few Zinman Mahler CDs I've heard and haven't heard any of his Strauss.

22. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I am ordering it from Germany next month, but would prefer to read first what were your reactions to Ks 503, 491, 537, 482, 413, 453, and 595.

23. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I believe that this is something that has more to do with the member's personal preferences and of course there is no "written" or "unwritten" rule that stops any of us to post information or do discussion on new releases.

Unfortunately, I don't buy a lot of new releases anymore. There was a time, not too long ago, when I was reading Gramophone and Fanfare on a monthly basis and was buying all the latest discs but, for the last few years, I find myself digging deeper and deeper into older material, into recordings that I have enjoyed in the past or buying things that I never had the chance to purchase before.

Some might say that this has something to do with getting older or others might say that modern releases are not up to par with the legendary recordings of the past. Or someone might say there is so much music out there that it might be easier to listen to something old and trusted that has passed the test of time than try something new. Whatever it is, I see it in me and in many other people in this forum.

In any case, personally I would welcome more discussion and recommendations on new releases, there is a lot of good stuff out there and a lot of people here would be interested in learning about.

24. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

I had to doublecheck. Don't have it around here, only the usual suspects. It came out in 1990, or 1991 (sorry, I already forgot it). Sir Neville Marriner conducting. Among the first ceedees I ever bought. I still remember how delighted I was at the performance: most of the typical pompous post-WW2 swanking was thrown out (the stuff that was on old LP's I listened as schoolboy, before Carlos Kleiber's stunning recording of the Fifth came out). Now, when I googled it, I noticed someone writing that it's about the most useless recording ever! Purely dull or something like that. That makes me wonder... [sigh]

Stone Turntable likes this.
  25. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Objectivists versus subjectivists. I can enjoy either. I often find the terms passionless or overwrought to be exaggerated. I enjoy hearing these pieces through different interpretations, although I probably lean slightly left towards romanticism.

John S and sgb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.