Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #53)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

I presume you are referring to this recording? Thanks for the pointer - I am all ears... :D Unfamiliar musical territory for me as I am exploring the old Metropolitan recordings! Are you familiar with any other Rethberg recordings?

[​IMG]

2. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

That is certainly a warm and glowing recommendation Collector Man. I have yet to explore Solti's Strauss opera recordings. You make them sound quite enticing!

3. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Taking disc 9 from the Haskil Edition for a spin: Scarlatti Sonatas (Kk 193, 87, 386) as well as Mozart sonata K330.

[​IMG]

Returning (yes, once again) to Katia Ricciarelli singing Verdi. Great music! Oh Verdi is really getting into my life nowadays!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

The Levine is available as a separate DVD but for some reason, there is only one copy being offered on Amazon at an astronomical price. I did not pay $158 for mine, more like $30. But the Pappano is a fine choice to start with. Let us know how you fare.

Hawkman likes this.
  5. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

bluemooze likes this.
  6. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Nigel North playing Dowland compositions (Naxos).

[​IMG]

Robin L, Mr Bass and John S like this.
  7. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Listening to a Maria Cebotari disc from the Voices of the Opera II collection. Excellent singing! She passed away so young (1910-1949).... So many voices in this collection!!

[​IMG]

8. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Yeah $158 for a single DVD is a little steep. :)

I will certainly let you know what I think. Thank you and everyone who suggested something.

9. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

A wonderful collection of piano pieces played by Wilhelm Kempff.

[​IMG]

Robin L and George P like this.
  10. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Kempff's Bach is a delight.

11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:agree:

12. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

If you do go and purchase the Solti Strauss opera collection...are you in for a treat. His Rosenkavalier (totally complete) ..though from the very early 70's , was superbly cast with Regine Crespin ......and was recorded on 24 track tape machines. Plus Birgit Nilsson unleashing that amazing incomparable voice of hers in both Salome and Electra. These three mentioned recordings alone are very fine examples of Decca sound engineering in the Vienna Sofiensal venue ..Alas this venue for recording is no more. And don't forget Solti's Strauss boxed set includes Solti's final Strauss opera recording, the no spared expense casting for the production of Die Frau Ohne Schatten.(also unusally here - recorded fully complete) In the final act finale ... it is overwhelming ...that a composer could actually even compose so many complex musical strands, then weave and have them culminate in such a jaw-dropping joyous exhilarating conclusion.
    It is sobering when considering purchasing these 'mass boxes' and then breaking down the price asked per disc.....................then checking the high price asked - in comparsion- for say, just one of the complete operas listed.

Moonfish likes this.
  13. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Found this recording of Monteverdi's L'Orfeo. It is ...eeerr.....different, but interesting as it was recorded in 1973. Not too many Monteverdi recordings back then.

[​IMG]

14. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Utterly tempting!!!!! :help: Thanks for all the information about the Strauss box. It sounds like a stellar compilation! It seems like people either love Solti or completely disregard him. Why is that?
    On a different note it seems as if I am suffering from a severe "box" addiction over the last year with way too many recordings piling up in the house. I think I have several lifetimes of recordings available at this point. However, it feels as if one is collecting precious gems of music reflecting back the efforts of men and women creating soundscapes. Way addicting as it seems as if one more box does not make much of a difference.... Ha ha! Is this a common phenomenon in the thread?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  15. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I know the feeling. I'm 45 discs into the Rubinstein box, I haven't opened the Gardiner Cantatas box and I have the Furtwangler, Solti Strauss and a couple of jazz boxes on the way. I also have a handful of discs still to listen to in the Mercury II, Yo-Yo Ma and Perahia boxes.

16. George P

The Rubinstein was a bit more manageable for me, as I had 1/3 or so already. That's definitely a box to savor, though, since there are so many repeat works.

17. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I already owned Volume 6 (Mazurkas and Scherzos) from the previous release, an old copy of the Ballades & Scherzos and the few that were also in the Living Stereo box and Great Pianists of the 20th Century.

18. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

What's your opinion of the Perahia box?

19. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

How funny! My Gardiner box is yet to be opened as well (working through Harnoncourt/Leonhardt). I guess we all create little box projects nowadays as they appear on the horizon. Personally I am bit opera oriented at the moment as you probably noticed... The Furtwangler is an everlasting project....

20. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

I love how your worked your way through the Rubinstein box systematically in the previous thread. Endurance!!!! However, it must be a wonderful journey!

21. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Err...breaking into the Bruno Walter box! Beethoven's Symphony #1 and #2 with the CSO. My kids don't like opera while doing homework....

[​IMG]

22. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Any perspectives on this upcoming box set (51 cds) with Sir Colin Davis's recordings?

[​IMG]

Contents (from JPC.de)

Mozart: Serenaden Nr. 9-13; Klarinettenkonzert KV 622; Fagottkonzert KV 191; Klavierkonzerte Nr. 9, 19-27; Ouvertüren zu Opern; Requiem KV 626; Arien; Le Nozze di Figaro
    +Brahms: Symphonien Nr. 1-4; Haydn-Variationen op. 56a; Tragische Ouvertüre op. 81; Akademische Festouvertüre op. 80; Klavierkonzerte Nr. 1 & 2; Violinkonzert op. 77 (2 Einspielungen); Schicksalslied op. 54; Alt-Rhapsodie op. 53; Nänie op. 82; Gesang der Parzen op. 89; Marienlieder op. 22; Ein deutsches Requiem op. 45
    +Weber: Klavierkonzerte Nr. 1 & 2; Konzertstück op. 79 für Klavier & Orchester; Polonaise brillante op. 72 für Klavier & Orchester
    +Schubert: Symphonien Nr. 1-9
    +Schumann: Klavierkonzert op. 54
    +Elgar: Violinkonzert op. 61 (2 Einspielungen); Symphonie Nr. 1; Introduktion & Allegro für Streichorchester op. 47
    +Mahler: Symphonien Nr. 4 & 8
    +Sibelius: Symphonien Nr. 1-7; Rakastava op. 14; En saga op. 9; Kullervo-Symphonie op. 7; Lemminkäinen-Suite op. 22; Pojohlas Tochter op. 49; Der Barde op. 64; Karelia-Suite op. 11; Die Ozeaniden op. 73; Finlandia op. 26; Valse triste; Tapiola op. 112; Nächtlicher Ritt und Sonnenaufgang op. 55
    +Rodrigo: Concierto de Aranjuez
    +Berlioz: Ouvertüren
    +Beethoven: Missa solemnis op. 123; Chorfantasie op. 80; Fidelio
    +Verdi: Requiem; Falstaff
    +Wagner: Lohengrin

23. George P

It was wonderful, yes. I had already heard lots of it or I would have spent a lot more time working through it.

Another stellar set! So glad I got that one.

24. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Can't go wrong with that IMO. I like his Sibelius and Schubert cycles a lot.

25. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Very tempting. Sir Colin was the first conductor I listened to when I first ventured into the world of classical music some 30 years ago while I was in grad school. I did not get into Karajan's recording until a bit later. I need to figure out how many duplicates I will end up having if I pull the trigger on this box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.