Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #53)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Those are wonderful performances indeed!
    Tried to track down those old Philips CDs and boxsets for a good price for years, with no success.

In this particular case, a new copy of this disc can be bought for... $325.99!:D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000E4B3/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Btw this recording can now be found on the Decca/Universal's "Vivaldi Masterworks" box set. To be more specific, it's disc # 9.

Moonfish likes this.
  2. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

I have heard a few of them, but certainly need to revisit the cycle. Now I have an excuse to do so!! :D I tend to listen more to Barenboim in his capacity as a pianist (e.g. Beethoven and Mozart sonatas or in his partnership with Du Pre). I really enjoy Barenboim/du Pre in Beethoven's cello sonatas!!! Thanks for reminding me about his Beethoven cycle!!

3. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

I need to spend more time with Kapell as well. It seems like so many promising American pianists went down prematurely by disease or by accidents. :(

4. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Igor Stravinsky – Le Sacre du printemps - The Rite of Spring: Songs of Pagan Russia in two Parts
    Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky – Francesca da Rimini Op.32 - symphonic fantasy after Dante
    Modest Mussorgsky – Songs — Galina Vishnevskaya,soprano
    — London Symphony Orcestra — Igor Markevitch (ICA Classics / BBC Legends)

[​IMG]

5. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

I presume that is why many of us spend time at yard sales and at thrift stores. $325 is a bit extreme!!!

PH416156 likes this.
  6. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Did you come across those renditions by accident or did somebody recommend them to you?

7. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Beethoven's 4th and Mozart's 25th Piano Concerto with Fleisher/Szell/Cleveland O from the recent Fleisher box from Sony. I keep being impressed by the quality and grace of Fleisher's playing as I am exploring the set.

[​IMG]

john greenwood and Mr Bass like this.
  8. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

...but in "new" conditions!!

[​IMG]

;)

9. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

I suspect that there are plenty of Richter fans in this forum? I just came across this upcoming (Jan 17) and affordable attractive compilation of Richter's solo recordings (33 cds) issued by Decca/Italy. I'm guessing that it is likely that most of these are the 90s recordings previously issued in doubles by Decca? What do you think? If so, I am not as keen to click on the purchase button even though I am severely tempted. Thoughts?
    It ends up being $95 if ordered from the US incl. S&H. Definitely affordable!

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  10. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Well, I guess I could be convinced.... :faint:

11. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Well, I thought that too, but I just counted my Decca doubles (The Master Series) and there are only 11 of them, adding up to 22 CDs. Now, Universal owns Decca, Philips and DG now, so maybe they added in the 9CDs from the DG box and a few Philips discs. After all, the Decca stuff was originally issued in the Philips "Authorised" series anyway.

I think he is the greatest pianist that ever lived. However, I don't think a number of the Decca CDs show him at his best. The sound is good, but many of them are late performances that pale next to earlier performances. Off the top of my head, the Beethoven was one of the biggest offenders here. Having said that, many of the other Decca performances (Schubert and Bach come to mind) are among the best he has made. So, I'd say if the price is reasonable, grab the set. I'd also say grab the EMI set as well. I hope it is not OOP. The performances are from a time when he was at his peak (IMO) and the repertoire is varied.

bluemooze and Moonfish like this.
  12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Amazon.de is cheaper (€57.69) than Amazon.it (€69.23) :)

Moonfish likes this.
  13. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

You have to! Jokes aside, I'm glad I've found that 28 discs Vivaldi Box. Forgot to say I paid less than CDN $ 30 for it :)

14. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

I had originally brought them on new vinyl at shop record clearance sales for $3 or $4 each.. Later they became available on CD and I snapped up those editions up, as well. Then the Guilini version of Mussorgsky 'Pictures' is also included in DG's "Guilini in America" series , conducting both the Los Angeles & Chicago orchstras.( 11 CDs contained in 2 boxes.) Needless to say I could not resist buying both boxes.

15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I knew nothing of him so after I got the green light from some board members I went back and bought the box. At a little over $5 a disc it seemed a good bargain. It was used but everything is near mint so I'm happy with the value.
    I've only heard disc one so far but it was very good and I'm looking forward to exploring the rest.

16. John S

John S Forum Resident

Someday I will end up buying that Levine/Mahler box, but I have and love the Levine M5 in its CD form. In your search for the other worthy versions of that work be prepared to be underwhelmed as that Levine M5 is one of the finest on record. I haven't heard all versions available -- and there are many -- but I can offer a suggestion for an unfairly overlooked underdog:

[​IMG]

Do not be mislead by the cheap Naxos image. Antoni Wit and his Polish band are world-class. Here, they muster plenty of intensity that serves this music, plus they are well recorded in Katowice's Concert Hall (Aug. 1990). The famous Adagietto's delicate beauty is suitably poignant, and the finale is positively final. Mahler's friend, the great Gustav Klimt's "Life Is A Battle" is on the cover.

I say go ahead and get the Karajan M5. This recording's shiny and beautiful character is appealing, yet it is rather shallow. Maybe it's because Hvk came to Mahler late in his career, and this was his first recording of this composer. (Karajan's M6 is a must have, however -- here the score itself eliminates the possibility of a glossy sound compromising its message.)

jupiterboy likes this.
  17. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I've read very good things about Wit. I only own one of his Penderecki albums and it's great although probably not to everyone's taste

18. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Probably not HIP either.

19. coopmv

Antoni Wit and his orchestra have recorded for HM also ...

20. coopmv

Is this from the Accardo big box?

21. coopmv

The same here. I like Barenboim as a pianist but he does not do much for me as a conductor ...

22. coopmv

George, I bet this Decca offering probably just consolidated all S Richter's recordings previously made by the various divisions of UniversalMusic (including Philips) in one box. All the DG recordings included in that 'Pianist of the Century' box are also included in this box ...

bluemooze and Moonfish like this.
  23. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

and one of the best haircuts :)

24. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Anyone a fan of this one (LP version)?:
    [​IMG]

markedasred and Moonfish like this.
  25. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Welcome back !