Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #54)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I haven't seen Yuja up close but I did see Kavakos at 6 feet distance several years ago. He is definitely getting younger.

2. M.Deutrom

M.Deutrom Forum Resident

richter.JPG
    Really love this version. Sonorous and almost sacred sounding. The SACD is really something also.

Robin L and bluemooze like this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

S Richter performed various works by Schubert so many times during his lifetime that it is almost impossible to know what I have and what I don't have ... LOL

4. coopmv

I have quite a few Munchinger's recordings on LP but not on CD. Newton Classics has released a number of his Bach recordings ...

5. coopmv

I have this set on redbook CD's, not on SACD. Few recordings were released in both SACD and DVD-A formats ...

6. coopmv

I have not listened to this CD in my A4 collection in quite some times ...

7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Byrd - My Ladye Nevells Booke" performed by Christopher Hogwood . 4-LP set on L'Oiseau-Lyre vinyl.

Byrd My Ladye Nevells Book Hogwood cover.jpg

Byrd My Ladye Nevells Booke Hogwood label.jpg

8. coopmv

It looks like other than that Mozart set by Cleveland Orch/Szell, Casadesus highly recommended by you, I only have two other CD's by Szell and nothing on LP. During the early days of my classical music collecting while in grad school, Szell almost never appeared on my radar ...

9. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Yes, I got this recording for my mother on CD a few months ago, but I was lucky to get a used and affordable DVD-A for myself shortly afterwards. Though it's probably only worth it for those into surround, since there is no stereo only track on it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Weber - Symphony 1 / Cherubini - Symphony in D" performed by the New Philharmonia Orchestra led by Wilfried Boettcher on Philips vinyl.

Weber-Cherubini Symphonys Cover.jpg

Weber-Cherubini Symphonys label.jpg

I'm always amazed at some of the cheapo/crap album cover photos that were used years ago. What were they thinking? Who were they marketing to? Grandmothers? (no offense intended to grandmothers :hide:)

11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

That's the problem with having a wonderful and extensive music collection - can't listen to it all.

12. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

We are shopping from the same super market in our neighbourhood. He looks younger every day (and drives a white BMW 645i).

13. coopmv

So how do you like this recording? I have listened to mine only once and really do not have a "deep" impression about it ...

14. coopmv

Indeed, sometimes I get the impression that I may have a larger classical music collection than my local NPR station ... LOL

15. coopmv

There you go, you can have him autograph his new CD, which may be worth big bucks down the road ...

16. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

He is definitely not so easy-going a person as he might appear, unfortunately. I know that from various sources. I once tried to talk to him in the supermarket and tell him about the broadcast of his then recent concert at La Scala with Harding/Berg VC and he was not friendly at all - strangely because I doubt anybody else around knew who he is ...

I had him autogtaphed his cds backtage when he plays in Athens - but it is always so crowded mainly by his relatives, family friends etc.

17. wolfram

Oh, I like it. I have no other version of this though, so I can't compare it to anything else. The sound is great and it may be one of the most "dynamic" albums I have. You really have to crank it, because it's very quiet, but then the final bit (Earthquake) gets extremely loud. "Forte Fortissimo" indeed. :laugh:
    I guess the inclusion of the spoken text is a matter of taste.

18. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Hmmm. . . I have that DVD-A (with a slightly different cover). On the back it states there is stereo track as well as multi-channel track.

19. wolfram

It does say so on mine as well, but it's obviously an error. No stereo track on mine. I don't really mind, since I got it for the surround track and have a rip of my mother's CD for stereo.

20. coopmv

So if you do not have a universal player, you cannot even play this twofer. An SACD player is totally useless for this twofer as well. I do not own any DVD-A's since I do not want to be bothered with two hi-res formats that are entirely incompatible.

21. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening Beethoven piano sonatas on Disc 2 from "Artur Schnabel - Scholar of the Piano" box set on EMI. 'Pathetique', 'Moonlight', 'Pastorale' and 'Waldstein'.

Schnabel box.jpg

22. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Botox??

23. coopmv

I have the Schnabel's Beethoven Sonatas on Naxos Historicals ...

George P and bluemooze like this.
  24. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from this twofer ...

25. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

photo.JPG

I have

Stone Turntable and bluemooze like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.